• ephileth
    started a topic Round 3 - Munster v Castres

Round 3 - Munster v Castres

Ref: JP Doyle (England)
    Assis Ref 1: Tom Foley (England)
    Assis Ref 2: Paul Dix (England)
    TMO: David Grashoff (England)

Need to win this one, well if possible.
    Castres currently second in this pool and with the away fixture next up, we cannot afford to let them hope too much.

They just lost at home to the 13th in the TOP14, not sure whether that's good or bad news for us. They might decide they cannot afford to waste energy in the HCC but they might also decide their current situation is better in the HCC than the TOP14 and that it's worth going at it full tilt.

Nuff said, need to hammer them.
    Starts
    9th-December-2018 12:00
    Ends
    9th-December-2018 14:00
    Last edited by ephileth; 1st-December-2018, 20:58.

• anthonyl
    replied
    Originally posted by anthonyl View Post
    wouldn't be surprised if Exeter turned around and won next week.
    Love it when a plan comes together!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• jimw6
    replied
    Originally posted by hellovating View Post

i've watched it back.... they really were not. i just watched the 10 mins leading up to murray's break for CJs try and there was no offside in that passage of play
    In the 10 minutes leading up to CJ's try Castres had possession for 5 minutes and still managed to give away a penalty for a high tackle on CJ.

From the final lineout before the try there were a number of rucks but the camera doesn't span out to see the Castres midfield but you can hear the crowd groaning.

There were two rucks in the previous 9.5 minutes with Munster in possession one was definitely onside however Murray just passed it 12 yards back to Jj to kick, the other ruck again the camera doesn't show the midfield of Castres. Hardly a good 10 minutes to base a point on but well done on watching it back you hero.

Leave a comment:

• <BM>
    replied
    On Tyler... has the signing of Joey come with some strings that Tyler be shifted out to 12 except for emergency? I know he was notionally signed as a 12 but up until this season, when Tyler played, he played 10, this season VanGraan seems to see him as a 12. Maybe it's just VanGraan making the best use of his squad but a fit Tyler may have been seen as the biggest challenge to Joey with respect to game time at 10 and the IRFU certainly didn't sanction Joey to move to Munster to play 15.

I'll crumple up my tinfoil hat now and tie a string on it to hang it on the Christmas tree.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Yatenga View Post
    A bit unfair on Tyler- only coming back after injury and hasnt had any time at #10. But competition is good, and for sure there are question marks about Tylers ability to stay fit. But he will get a chance for sure during 6 Nations if not sooner
    I wasn’t meaning to be unfair to TB, I have only admiration for what he has achieved by coming back. JJ would seem to have the edge at the moment, and first European start at 10 and a MOTM performance is quite a marker to put down. TB (and Bill J) will surely get a crack at it over the 6N, and I hope they both star- with WC players not back til December, hopefully/presumably, we’ll have three 10s which doesn’t seem excessive.

Leave a comment:

• Yatenga
    replied
    A bit unfair on Tyler- only coming back after injury and hasnt had any time at #10. But competition is good, and for sure there are question marks about Tylers ability to stay fit. But he will get a chance for sure during 6 Nations if not sooner

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    After his start in MP, and what I thought was a patchy performance overall, and poor kicking off the tee- JJ played a very solid game for us. I was surprised, even with the last minute change, that it was JJ started, rather than TB. The right call was made, and if JJ can keep this up he will end #2 for us, with TB looking beached and (presumably) expensive. Someone above mentioned a TB-Farrell option at 12-13, and it would be very interesting to see this tried- albeit that Rory is solid at 12, if a little predictable.

Leave a comment:

• <BM>
    replied
    My final thoughts on the last conversion... JJ was 100% in the day. A week earlier nobody expected him to have a significant role in the game and certainly very few would have predicted a MOTM performance having started at 10, I'd still have given it to Murray but JJ was still deserving. If JJ had rushed the conversion and fluffed it, it could come back to bite us later in the season should we need to call on him again. If that means we need to work harder in the remaining 3 games, so be it, that hard work will stand to us later in the season just like any confidence boost JJ will have got from Sunday.

None of the above changes the fact that JP is a pratt, both in general and for telling JJ to wait without stopping the clock.

Leave a comment:

• padders
    replied
    Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
    Good to get the win but ultimately the result is a bit frustrating.

Conor Murray was the actual man of the match, hands down. No question about it imo. Instrumental in creating two of our tries.

It was good to see JJ lift his game and he certainly did well.

As a result of other game in our group Exeter are now out realistically.
    I would expect a home win for Glaws next week meaning we need to win next week in Castre or away in Glaws really, and we need beat Exeter at home too of course. (I said really, not mathematically).
    For a team ranked 2 in the premiership Exeter were absolutely pitiful i thought . Baxter will be sewing it into them all week and I would expect a big reaction from them. Whether its enough to win is another matter

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    I would have like a BP win too, but at 6-0 at half time, with Castes killing the tempo at every opportunity, 4 tries in the second half was a very tall order. We didn’t, from memory, come close to scoring a try in the first half- the inaccuracy (dropping passes) and Hail Mary lineouts rather than throwing to two or four and grinding it through- in short forcing it, cost us in the first half. I don’t think the extra moments we might have saved towards the end of the second half was what cost us the BP, but lack of control in the first half.

Leave a comment:

• blackwarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post

I'm almost certain he started in Clermont in the second of the Back to Backs in '14-15.
    I think you’re correct PK. Somebody had stated that on the radio and it sounded wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Originally posted by ephileth View Post

He did but in the 12 jersey. So maybe that was his first start at 10 in the Heino?
    I think so.

Leave a comment:

• ephileth
    replied
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post

I'm almost certain he started in Clermont in the second of the Back to Backs in '14-15.
    He did but in the 12 jersey. So maybe that was his first start at 10 in the Heino?

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
    I thought JJ player really well and I'm delighted for him. I can't believe it was his first ever start for Munster in the Heineken.

Leave a comment:

• The Yak
    replied
    Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
    I still believe there's too much negativity on here. It's half time in the back-to-back. We've posted a 4-0 lead. Let's wait until Saturday night to count the overall score.
    Strange post. I think every BM is aware that we've played the first game in 2 back-to-back fixtures and that we got 4 pts and Castres none. I think everybody has also figured out that we need to wait until Saturday Evening to get the aggregate points break-down.

As regards your point about too much negativity - I think it's pretty clear that our game management was poor - shocking line out calls, kicking away possession repeatedly especially near the end by Alby. No urgency with the conversion etc etc-

David Corkery sums it up well in the Echo, this evening.

This is a discussion forum and it's perfectly understandable to see criticism after a litany of unforced errors probably costing what could yet to be a vital BP. What else do you expect ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X