Munster Development to play in Boston April 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munster Development to play in Boston April 2019

All the provinces to visit US next March/April. Great that provincial A teams will get more games but shame it will clash with closing stages of the AIL
    FIXTURES:

Saturday 16th March 2019
    New England Free Jacks v Connacht

Wednesday 20th March 2019
    Connacht v Ulster

Sunday 24th March 2019
    New England Free Jacks v Ulster

Saturday 6 April 2019
    New England Free Jacks v Munster

Wednesday 10th April 2019
    Munster v Leinster

Sunday 14th April 2019
    Leinster v New England Free Jacks

Anything for a few quid

Comment

It works for all parties. To the best of my knowledge the New England team won't be playing in the new US Rugby league in the upcoming season so it gives them some exposure against top quality opposition and it also makes some cash for all of the provinces and gives them more exposure out here. It also gives someone like myself an opportunity to see some of the squad players play in the flesh. As someone said it is a pity that it will clash with the tailend of the AIL season as they get enough of a raw deal as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
        Anything for a few quid
        Not necessarily.

Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post
        It works for all parties. To the best of my knowledge the New England team won't be playing in the new US Rugby league in the upcoming season so it gives them some exposure against top quality opposition and it also makes some cash for all of the provinces and gives them more exposure out here. It also gives someone like myself an opportunity to see some of the squad players play in the flesh. As someone said it is a pity that it will clash with the tailend of the AIL season as they get enough of a raw deal as it is.
        Theyre not competing this year and are playing exhibition games all year to prepare for entry in 2020. Not sure how much cash it'll make for the provinces but does give plenty players game time. Yes it clashes with AIL but there will be plenty playing in this that most likely would be ineligible from playing in the final rounds of the AIL as they wouldnt have played in enough of the earlier rounds of the league

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
          Not necessarily.

Theyre not competing this year and are playing exhibition games all year to prepare for entry in 2020. Not sure how much cash it'll make for the provinces but does give plenty players game time. Yes it clashes with AIL but there will be plenty playing in this that most likely would be ineligible from playing in the final rounds of the AIL as they wouldnt have played in enough of the earlier rounds of the league
          I didn't realize that a player had to play a certain amount of games in the earlier rounds of the AIL to be selected for the final rounds. That's interesting, as I know that some of the clubs feel aggrieved as their academy/A players are not being released back to them even if they are not due to play with Munster, for instance, for weekend fixtures.

Comment

Rassie said at the start of last season that Munster Squad and Academy players not in Match day squads for either Munster or Munster A would all be released to their clubs.

I understood that that policy continued under JVG.

​​​​​​Of course, a few extra players are held as cover in case of last minute injuries. Is that where the problem is?

Comment

Has it ever been looked into for the November touring nations to bring an kind of extended & development squad with them and play games against the provinces in the November window where fringe players get a run against decent opposition?

Surley the argies have a second string side they would like to get game time for.

Comment

Ulster are playing Uruguay right now - not being broadcast or streamed, unfortunately. I remember attending an Ireland A match in Ravenhill 9 or 10 years ago against ... Tonga? I may have had both hipflasks on me at the time. It'd be nice to have a fixture like that played in each of the four provinces every November, make it a big family occasion with free tickets for kids etc. Us playing New Zealand 10 years ago and the Maori game from 2 years ago are a step up from the likes of that, of course, but those were games to live long in the memory - what's rare is precious.
                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                  Rassie said at the start of last season that Munster Squad and Academy players not in Match day squads for either Munster or Munster A would all be released to their clubs.

I understood that that policy continued under JVG.

​​​​​​Of course, a few extra players are held as cover in case of last minute injuries. Is that where the problem is?
                  I don't know if that's where the issue arises. I've been listening to the Club Scene Podcast, which if you have an interest in the AIL I would recommend, and it came up either last week or the week before. With one of the hosts in particular getting very excited about the fact that Academy/ A players very rarely if every train with their clubs and end up not playing any rugby because of decisions being made by S & C coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                    Ulster are playing Uruguay right now - not being broadcast or streamed, unfortunately. I remember attending an Ireland A match in Ravenhill 9 or 10 years ago against ... Tonga? I may have had both hipflasks on me at the time. It'd be nice to have a fixture like that played in each of the four provinces every November, make it a big family occasion with free tickets for kids etc. Us playing New Zealand 10 years ago and the Maori game from 2 years ago are a step up from the likes of that, of course, but those were games to live long in the memory - what's rare is precious.
                    and the Munster v Australia game in 2010 in between those two fixtures.

Comment

Indeed. A big game like that every 4-6 years is nice.
                      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post

I didn't realize that a player had to play a certain amount of games in the earlier rounds of the AIL to be selected for the final rounds. That's interesting, as I know that some of the clubs feel aggrieved as their academy/A players are not being released back to them even if they are not due to play with Munster, for instance, for weekend fixtures.
                        Been in place to stop clubs being able parachute any available players for the final rounds/final of the competition. As some clubs will have more contracted players than others.

Comment

You can only play two contracted players, only one of whom may be a forward, in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                            You can only play two contracted players, only one of whom may be a forward, in any case.
                            You are a bit out of date Piquet.
                            Its been four contracted players for a few seasons and two can be forwards and its expanding(expanded) for this season to six.

Comment

Ah, thanks for that.

Is the forward limit still two and is it still only allowed in Divs 1A & B?

Comment

Working...
                              X