Emerging players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emerging players

The Munster schools senior cup quarter finals are being played this week but which player participating this year will be the first to play for Munster.

You have hit on one of my pet hates here. I believe that the schools are totally over-rated and it's the clubs you should watch. Two Tralee lads on the Ireland U18 squad to play France tomorrow are worth watching. Danny Barnes at 13 is exciting going forward and fearless in defence. Sean O'Mahony is solid at prop and pretty decent around the field too.
    Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Comment

If I had to pick one player that I thought would make it it would have to be Andrew Burke, the Crescent 10.
      Biffo ate my future.

Comment

I tend to agree with Daky.. the schools competition is totally over-rated.. the clubs are where it is at...
        School loses, school is out.. no more senior rugby for said school...
        .........definite better restructuring needed.... before the talent can be recognised....

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Daky
          You have hit on one of my pet hates here. I believe that the schools are totally over-rated and it's the clubs you should watch. Two Tralee lads on the Ireland U18 squad to play France tomorrow are worth watching. Danny Barnes at 13 is exciting going forward and fearless in defence. Sean O'Mahony is solid at prop and pretty decent around the field too.

I agree. Theres only a handfull of proper rugby schools but clubs all over the place. The clubs are where you'll find more talent too if they are onlygiven a chance.

The clubs will give Munster a far greater pick if they have a proper 'net' (scouts etc)forrecognising the talent.

Comment

Yeah Daky is right, the schools don't produce quality internationals at all.
            Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

DAky, I'm sorry you rival Old Dog there with that statement.
              I played club and even the most talented club underage player is at
              best half as good as a schools player.

Comment

Originally posted by joeglum
                DAky, I'm sorry you rival Old Dog there with that statement.
                I played club and even the most talented club underage player is at
                best half as good as a schools player.

Thats probably because of getting proper coaching but its got nothing to do withnatural talent which can be developed.

Comment

The only way to possibly know if that is true or not is too watch every game and have a way of measuring exactly the worth of each player. Taking that into consideration I must assume your talking complete and utter rubbish. [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
                  My computer thinks I'm gay
                  What's the difference anyway
                  When all the people do all day
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

I think another issue with clubs versus schools players is the time the squad is available to the coach. In schools and especially for JCT and SCT there is a lot of time made available for training, both during and after school hours. Most clubs are lucky to get underage teams for more than an hour a week.

\"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

You can make all the excuses you want but the fact is that schools rugby is of a much better standard than club rugby. Sorry lads.
                      Biffo ate my future.

Comment

Originally posted by paki
                        You can make all the excuses you want but the fact is that schools rugby is of a much better standard than club rugby. Sorry lads.

That dosn' mean they have the most talented players. Thats the point we're making about clubs. They have more players so there is alot more available talent.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick

That dosn' mean they have the most talented players. Thats the point we're making about clubs. They have more players so there is alot more available talent.

Exactly, which means that school's players are better than club players. Of course you're going to get a very goos club player every once in a while but the fact of the matter is that scholls rugby is a much better place to nurture talent.
                          Biffo ate my future.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick

Exactly, which means that school's players are better than club players. Of course you're going to get a very goos club player every once in a while but the fact of the matter is that scholls rugby is a much better place to nurture talent.

Just because the average standard is higher overall it dosentfollow that all schools players are better.How do you explainpro players whodont go to rugby playingschools?

You could also make the argument that the best young players in clubs under secondary school age gravitate towards the best rugby schools. A lot of them have learned the basics b/4 they even hit secondary school.

My computer thinks I'm gay
                            What's the difference anyway
                            When all the people do all day
                            Is stare into a phone

Comment

For whatever reason the standard of the top schools teams is WAY above that of the top youths sides.

Comment

Working...
                              X