Physical conditionig re English sides

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Physical conditionig re English sides

This is in relation to the conditioning of the Munster International players.

Apologies if this has been posted already. Im just wondering about our physical conditioning and strength for want of a better word in relation to the English teams. I remember Jim Williams wrote a scathing article on the Indo in the aftermath of the Wasps game saying that the conditioning of Irish players was what needed to improve if we were to compete with a big physical sides all the time.

I thought that Camp Carney was to be the great saviour of Irish rugby and allow Irish payers the necessary individual training schedule to be able to perform at an optimum level. It certainly seemed to work in November internationals but all 3 provinces in the HEC since then have failed miserably in the physical steaks and we beat Leinter up at Xmas.

Im not talking about set-pieces, lineouts or mauls. I m talking about sheer ability to get over the gain-line and ability to retain and recycle ball quickly at ruck time. I know its not all to do with physicality but it goes a lon way. This is not an attack on Camp Carney i think its benefits are there to be seen but does ayone have an opinion on why we cant beat up English club teams.
    \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
    \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

We usually do beat up English club sides, at least at home.

Leicester did beat us up a bit but I don't know how much of that is purely down to their physicality (as opposed to say their skill and form, selections on both sides, their scrum dominance etc.) and how much of that was Munster being in poor form.

Remember that our pack was, for the most part, the same one that took apart the big Saffer pack (ok, not a first choice one but a big, physical pack).

Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
    Munster: Early Season
    Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
    Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
    Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

reckon theres little if any difference between the professional teams round the world in terms of preperation.you'll always have freaks like the tuilagis who are bigger and stronger naturally,but they train the same as anyone else
      g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
      -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
      -thomas sowell

Comment

Agree with last point - physically top Irish players are capable of matching any other side. The issues are how match fit they are? For example several of our players are coming back from injury and only matches are going to harden the body the way it needs to be. Are they carrying knocks? Again I suspect we have several with aches and strains. What form are they in? Form does count for a massive amount. A player off form, whose approach isn't right, can be the fittest and strongest player around and still not cross the gain line. If you the other guy gets the hit right and you don't, you're going nowhere. Body positioning? Stringer does a great job around the fringes of scrums dropping big guys, because they're half way down, not into full flight etc he can apply pressure to the back or flick at the leg and the guy's going down.

The real evidence of fitness changes is that we no longer see the great 60 minutes followed by a 30-50 point capitulation in the final 20. That was lack of conditioning and fitness. Personally I think that our players are just in piss poor form at the moment.

Comment

I think match fitness might have been an issue for some against Leicester. I think we have closed the gap over the last couple of years, and I don't think we'd struggle to match others now the way we did against, say, Wasps in the semi.

The scrum is also important - the team that's beating the other up in the scrum will have a lot more steam around the park. It really takes it out of the front row in particular if they're getting screwed.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Good point, it's why we've always beaten up sides when we've mauled a lot. It really saps the legs out of the opposition trying to defend these and mentally being on the receiving end of another hard scrum or hard maul deflates. Mental "energy" or deflation can make a difference to physical performance as well.

Comment

Also I suspect that the Irish elite players are being trained to peak for the WC.

Comment

I hope so, I think the international players have lacked the intensity of previous years. I've been waiting for them to go out and murder another team for a while as a backlash, alas not yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cathal
                  I hope so, I think the international players have lacked the intensity of previous years. I've been waiting for them to go out and murder another team for a while as a backlash, alas not yet!
                  Were you watching a different Autumn series to me?
                  Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

I meant Munster's international contingent.

Comment

Our international players are seriously powerful and a lot stronger and more explosive than they were a couple of years ago. One bad game and suddenly we're questionning their conditioning. Rubbish!

That whole Leicester team was selected to take us on physically on a day when we were missing afew key hard men.Their pack is one of the most powerful around, their centres are big men andtheir wingers are built like flankers (and used as such). I reckon that no other club side could do to us what they did.

From our first choice starting XV we were missing Quinny (MOD's not nearly as physical and all the conditioning in the world won't make him so), Halstead (again, Mafi is small and will never make the same impact) andFla (a much better ball carrier and more abrasive forward than Frankie). Add to that the fact that Leamy (one of the most powerful back rowers anywhere)was weakened by illness and you have a big part of the reason we were beaten up.

Comment

Scrummaging apart, our biggest weakness against GP teams in the past, was tactically. Under Gaffney most of all, we allowed ourselves to be sucked into a bish-bash confrontation, a game that GP sides are far more at home with.

Comment

This is just a personal theory but I feel this season we have suffered from nothing going hell for leather in the Magners league. We've thrown the second team in there en masse without 1st team support. This has imo led to the following

1) Underperformance in the league and poor performaces

2) A lack of match time for the 1st team

Watching Leicster the last day they looked like a team that is regulary playing at an intense level.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Munsafano
                            This is just a personal theory but I feel this season we have suffered from nothing going hell for leather in the Magners league. We've thrown the second team in there en masse without 1st team support. This has imo led to the following

1) Underperformance in the league and poor performaces

2) A lack of match time for the 1st team

Watching Leicster the last day they looked like a team that is regulary playing at an intense level.
                            Not really DK's fault though, you had the Poland camp which kept the 1st out of the first 2 or 3 games, then off for the autumn internationals etc, They've played all the games theyre available for really

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy

Our international players are seriously powerful and a lot stronger and more explosive than they were a couple of years ago. One bad game and suddenly we're questionning their conditioning. Rubbish!

That whole Leicester team was selected to take us on physically on a day when we were missing afew key hard men.Their pack is one of the most powerful around, their centres are big men andtheir wingers are built like flankers (and used as such). I reckon that no other club side could do to us what they did.

From our first choice starting XV we were missing Quinny (MOD's not nearly as physical and all the conditioning in the world won't make him so), Halstead (again, Mafi is small and will never make the same impact) andFla (a much better ball carrier and more abrasive forward than Frankie). Add to that the fact that Leamy (one of the most powerful back rowers anywhere)was weakened by illness and you have a big part of the reason we were beaten up.

Munsterboy i was only expressing an opinion. We were missing none of these players the first time against Leicester at Welford road bar Fla and he was missing for all other games we won so he doesnt count as an equaliser for the whole team. We were beaten up pyisically there too andby common consensus from both sides they lost it because of their indiscipline and O' Gara's un-erring boot.
                              \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
                              \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

Comment

Working...
                              X