Do we have a Coaching problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we have a Coaching problem?

Before someone says, lets forget about saturday and look ahead, its only right that we should discuss all aspects of Saturdays defeat and recent performances. I've been at all the matches, listened to all the radio & TV pundits, read all the newspapers and have spent the best part of yesterday and today on this site. My conclusion is that one of the big problems we have is the Coach and the coaching staff. Regarding DK, and this is not the first time I have said this over the past two years, he does not seem to have a good tactial brain. Sometimes his team selections are uninspired and his making of substitutions is limited to an injury. Just because players are playing well today, does not make those players automatic choices for the next match. He needs to look at each team seperately and pick his own team that best suits the conditions and opposition. This is not limited to last saturday, but on that day Foley should have started and he should have looked at how best to deploy a possible game winner in CC.

To continue on the coaching theme, why is it that the scrum and lineout have fallen apart? A good soccer player does not always make a good manager, so why do we think that former rugby players are automatically good enough for the coaching panel. Its obvious that our backs could do with some world class coaching, and now our forwards are going backwards as regards some of the basics. A lot of motivation and coaching needs to happen before we head to Stradey, but I believe we can do it. BELIEVE !

Wow, the silence is deafening !

Comment

I'm too afraid to say anything

Comment

Originally posted by shep

Before someone says, lets forget about saturday and look ahead, its only right that we should discuss all aspects of Saturdays defeat and recent performances. I've been at all the matches, listened to all the radio & TV pundits, read all the newspapers and have spent the best part of yesterday and today on this site. My conclusion is that one of the big problems we have is the Coach and the coaching staff. Regarding DK, and this is not the first time I have said this over the past two years, he does not seem to have a good tactial brain. Sometimes his team selections are uninspired and his making of substitutions is limited to an injury. Just because players are playing well today, does not make those players automatic choices for the next match. He needs to look at each team seperately and pick his own team that best suits the conditions and opposition. This is not limited to last saturday, but on that day Foley should have started and he should have looked at how best to deploy a possible game winner in CC.

To continue on the coaching theme, why is it that the scrum and lineout have fallen apart? A good soccer player does not always make a good manager, so why do we think that former rugby players are automatically good enough for the coaching panel. Its obvious that our backs could do with some world class coaching, and now our forwards are going backwards as regards some of the basics. A lot of motivation and coaching needs to happen before we head to Stradey, but I believe we can do it. BELIEVE !

This is a hot topic you've raised Shep!

There is truth to what you say. The Munster coaches are world class at some things but I don't believe they are tactically great. Munster has only 1, 4 try bonus point this year in the Magners league which tells us something. A world class backs coach is needed IMO.

Declan Kidney improved the team from Alan Gaffney who was a good coach too. DK is also now trying to play a more expansive game and said Munster need to have more attacking options which is good to hearso lets wait and see how that turns out.

Comment

There was a time when Decky used to never make substiutions, he does now. Teams are better prepared agains us in the scrums and lineouts, we need to adapt.Regarding the backs what we really lack is out and out pace. I think the coaching isfine tbh.....

We could do more unconventional stuff, like Leicster did with their defensive alignment yesterday. I think a major tactic that is becoming tired is when we get a close in penalty and we kick for touch... then we have to win the ball and set up a maul. Why not just tak a tap and set up something or try and move the ball... that is the only tactical change I'd make based on recent performances....

Comment

I think he made a couple of errors in team selection and in his
            replacements. MOD should not have started, Axel should have got
            the nod at no 8, Mafi wasn't up to it either and I'd have put Shaun
            Payne in or John Kelly. When kelly went off, why didn't he move
            Payne to the wing and bring on Cullen.
            As regards the penalty, hindsight is a great thing but I still think 3
            points on a wet and windy night would have been a better option.
            Before anyone writes off DK, we are champions and still on track to
            retain it, which was our target at the start of the year.

Comment

I'll say it, Shep ! [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

There are a few things

1) Deccie is a great man manager rather than a great coach, but that's fine, others can do the day to day coaching.

2) He is by nature a conservative man and that has come against Munster in the past. I don't know if it was his decision alone in selecting the team but the Bourgoin gameshowed how dodgy our lineouts were and how swamped our backrow was. Frankie's throwing since his (fantastic) return from serious injury is simply not as good as it was before he got injured. I really felt that it was worth taking a gamble on Fla in starting him against Leicester, get as much as we could from him before the lack of games told and then bring Frankie on to close out the match. Tough call.

What wasn't a tough call though was not making a change at 6. MOD is a fine second row but is not a backrow for this level of game. It showed against Bourgoin, and Leicester. They had a quality backrow and had obviously targetted ours. Humphreys was never under pressure all day. I would have started Axel and again, got as much as I could out of him before replacing him.

3) It is obvious that we were screwed in the scrum from early on. Why wasn't Freddie brought on ?

4) We were also screwed in the WR match. What did our Scrum coach Paul McCarthy do to make sure it didn't happen twice ?

Touch wood, that we don't have any more injuries to key players, and that we get JK, AF, AQ and TH back in time for the Scarlets. If that happens, things will look a lot brighter.

Comment

Having been looking at this site for nearly 2 years andhave never been so annoyed by a topic and a post like this!

We have won 12 HC games in a row (maybe 13), are the Champion of Europe, have just recently smashed every record there is and this idiot comes on with a heading of do we have a coaching problem!

What more can Munster give you?

No team can indefinitely keep on winning every match and I just feel that everybody felt this weekend might be the one!

We are champions of Europe so if we have a problem I'd hate to see how the rest of Europe is coping! Now enough of this negative posts

Comment

Welcome BlueMuff[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
                  Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by BlueMuff

Having been looking at this site for nearly 2 years andhave never been so annoyed by a topic and a post like this!

We have won 12 HC games in a row (maybe 13), are the Champion of Europe, have just recently smashed every record there is and this idiot comes on with a heading of do we have a coaching problem!

No team can indefinitely keep on winning every match and I just feel that everybody felt this weekend might be the one!

We are champions of Europe so if we have a problem I'd hate to see how the rest of Europe is coping! Now enough of this negative posts

Welcome Bluemuff.

You're only as good as your last HC match. If people can't have a bit of soul searching after a match like that, there is something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueMuff

Welcome BlueMuff.

Munster have some fantastic strengths as we all know but they have weaknesses also. It'sgood to point outweaknesses as teams can improve those areas.

Point, your correct about DK being a great man manager and being conservative.

Comment

1 If we have a forwards coach he needs to be sacked for inattention to set pieces.

2 We desperately need someone who can coach a front 5 to be stable (thats the minimum required) on our own ball.After Stellenbosch 'stable' will suffice.As a sidenote I have no idea why Puc was still on sideline on sat.

3 We need some speed on the wings.Without it every team will do what Leicester did (commit to breakdown and beat us up front knowing there is no wide threat).

Perhaps Mafi on the wing as his running lines are poor as a centre ?

Eamo
                        I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
                        HL Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Eamo

1 If we have a forwards coach he needs to be sacked for inattention to set pieces.

2 We desperately need someone who can coach a front 5 to be stable (thats the minimum required) on our own ball.After Stellenbosch 'stable' will suffice.As a sidenote I have no idea why Puc was still on sideline on sat.

3 We need some speed on the wings.Without it every team will do what Leicester did (commit to breakdown and beat us up front knowing there is no wide threat).

Perhaps Mafi on the wing as his running lines are poor as a centre ?

Eamo

I gather puciarello was not used as his scrummaging is inferior horans.

I'm sad to say TOL does not appear to have a great future on the wing either.

I agree that mafi maybe better, and may well be used on the wing, but this does not mean he is a winger, or that he will have any better a defensive nous than TOL.

I strongly disagree with the notion that CCullen might have been deployed in this game. I think it is precisely the sort of game he would choke in, and would rather TOL to him in any position.

Comment

Originally posted by Eamo

We have a forwards coach and a scrummaging coach. The biggest problem in both matches was with the scrum.

Comment

Originally posted by mtcmolloy

I gather puciarello was not used as his scrummaging is inferior horans.

I believe you gather incorrectly ! [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X