Atmosphere

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atmosphere

A lot of people are complaining about the atmosphere on Saturday. We were on the halfway line on the East Terrace and it certainly wasn't for the lack of effort there. We headed up with the parade and were encamped by 4 - a good hour and a half before the game. A quick spin over to bar (leaving the outpost manned!)and by the time we got served and back the terraces were practically heaving. So, you can't blame people for not turning up on time for a change. There certainly wasn't much wrong with the reception the team got coming out!

Problem is that no matter how much you want to get it going, you need to feed off what's going on on the pitch. Leicester had a great start (which they would have earmarked as essential before the game) and got on the scoreboard straight away. Every time we got into a good position, we turned over possession in the set piece. All the big hits were coming from them in the loose. With the best will in the world, it's hard to keep the roaring going when you're losing, only score 2 penalties and are not doing anything remarkable aside from that.

I hope I'm not slaughtered by those who reckon you should sing for 80 minutes regardless of whether you're 30-0 down or winning by 4 tries. I personally was hoarse from roaring (probably in frustration at Joel a lot of the time!). I do believe, however, that it's a 2 way relationship between the team and the fans. And from a team that has given us so much on the pitch over the last few years, they couldn't (or weren't allowed to) give us anything to get our teeth into on Saturday.

Spot on Keano... defo nothing wrong with the reception but after that Leicester were able to do what many of our visitors have tried to do in the past... You could almost sense in the crowd after 10 minutes that we were thinking "Where's the win gonna come from??"... Leicester.. while I don't like em were smart all over the field.. slowing the game down and hitting us hard around the fringes.. hard for the crowd to roar the team on.. Mind you I'm still on the strepsils today

Comment

Where we were people were giving it loads, not the worst by any means.

Comment

Keano, I agree with your comments, with some extra thrown in for good measure. Its also hard to get excited when the team are doing nothing on the pitch and the rain is bucketing down. It was bloody heavy at times and reminded me of Welford road, where shouting encouragement replaced prolonged singing. Secondly, I mentioned it in another thread, but I feel that Leicester got off extremely lightly, when running onto the pitch. She was still singing with the choir and the usual Munster, Munster was drowned out or never really got started. Other teams have commented that wehn you run out , the noise is deafening from the Munster fans. It was not when Leicester ran onto the field.

Comment

I think the Leicester players were more rattled by the Munster crowd at Welford road than at Thomond actually!

They were very well prepared in fairness. It might not be a coincidence that they got out on the pitch at the right moment.

Comment

I agree with your comments Keano .I was on the halfway line on east trc.The Bulid up was electric the drums we brillant .The atmosphere why not the same as before was v good apart from some langer shouting Racis remarks at Rabeni.There is no place in Rugby for that type of behaviour.

Comment

Keano

Your point about supporters needing to feed off the teamsounds obvious but would you believe that us Leinster fans have taken 8 months of flack from "the best supporters in the world" about the lack of passion in Lansdowne Road last April and at previous big games. You need a little momentum on the pitch to geta bigcrowd going.

Comment

Originally posted by leftoutside
                I agree with your comments Keano .I was on the halfway line on east trc.The Bulid up was electric the drums we brillant .The atmosphere why not the same as before was v good apart from some langer shouting Racis remarks at Rabeni.There is no place in Rugby for that type of behaviour.

He should have jumped into the crowd to confront them.
                =========================
                \"Our Association cannot be expected to accept a vista where the competing sporting organisations have no capital investment commitments, can exploit the value of their existing infrastructure and use our facilities as a cash cow, while investing their returns in games development\" - Liam Mulvihill.

Comment

I was reading the comments on the poll thread about the lack of atmosphere. Must have been poor on the west side because everything that Keano says above I agree with. East terrace ten yard line, was very lively. The warm up was certainally vocal.
                  Offside Ref! He's being doing it all day

Comment

Originally posted by Eastender
                    I was reading the comments on the poll thread about the lack of atmosphere. Must have been poor on the west side because everything that Keano says above I agree with. East terrace ten yard line, was very lively. The warm up was certainally vocal.
                    Watched the game on tv. Thought the ground sounded great before kickoff. Things may have been quieter after but I didn't notice.

Comment

I agree with your comments Keano .I was on the
                      halfway line on east trc.The Bulid up was electric the drums we
                      brillant .The* atmosphere* why not the same as before was v good
                      apart from some langer shouting Racis remarks at Rabeni.There is no
                      place in Rugby for that type of behaviour.
                      Only thing I heard directed towards him, apart from 'bloody hell, he's
                      huge', was someone calling him Ribena just before a Humphries Junior
                      kick.

Comment

Originally posted by theprop
                        I agree with your comments Keano .I was on the
                        halfway line on east trc.The Bulid up was electric the drums we
                        brillant .The atmosphere why not the same as before was v good
                        apart from some langer shouting Racis remarks at Rabeni.There is no
                        place in Rugby for that type of behaviour.
                        Only thing I heard directed towards him, apart from 'bloody hell, he's
                        huge', was someone calling him Ribena just before a Humphries Junior
                        kick.

before that would have been viewed as a bit of ballhopping from some wit followed by booming laughter. After last weeks events in BB it is viewed asracist.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMonty

Originally posted by theprop
                          I
                          agree with your comments Keano .I was on the halfway line on east
                          trc.The Bulid up was electric the drums we brillant .The* atmosphere*
                          why not the same as before was v good apart from some langer
                          shouting Racis remarks at Rabeni.There is no place in Rugby for that
                          type of behaviour.
                          Only thing I heard directed towards
                          him, apart from 'bloody hell, he's huge', was someone calling him
                          Ribena just before a Humphries Junior kick.

before that would have been viewed as a bit of ballhopping from
                          some wit followed by booming laughter. After last weeks events in
                          BB it is viewed as*racist.
                          Well, it was during the build up to a baby humphries kick, so it more
                          like muffled giggling than booming laughter.

Comment

Personally, I thought the atmosphere was quite good!!

Comment

Originally posted by el diablo

Keano

Your point about supporters needing to feed off the teamsounds obvious but would you believe that us Leinster fans have taken 8 months of flack from "the best supporters in the world" about the lack of passion in Lansdowne Road last April and at previous big games. You need a little momentum on the pitch to geta bigcrowd going.

To be fair, the Leinster fans made a hell of a lot of noise at the Celtic League game in December, despite things not really going their way on the pitch so hard to argue you with you there.

Comment

Working...
                              X