Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the AIL clubs sell Munster rugby out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the AIL clubs sell Munster rugby out?

Well, it seemed to be a pretty hot topic yesterday, people who've been paying subs and going to club games for years couldn't get tickets. This weekend is presumably one of their last chances to do this, as the excess capacity will remove the premium from many of the tickets, and this weekend seems to be the high point of the clubs telling their own fans to get lost.

People have commented on the crowd, and criticism must be accepted, I've seen livlier wakes, hell, I've seen livlier corpses. It was a disgracefully low point and disgracefully poor way to say goodbye to Thomond.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Yes, but with good reason
    0%
    No, the clubs need to survive
    0%
    Whats AIL?
    0%
    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

This has been discussed to death for years. How many people complaining about clubs selling on their allocation for fundraising actually participate on running their club or are members for that matter?

What does it cost to run a senior club - the IRFU told the clubs that grants would be cut back to allow for the develeopment of LR so clubs must be put to the pin of their collar to survive.

BTW, Ididn't get a ticket for yesterday.

Comment

the atmosphere at the match was embarrassing to say the least. When Leicester were warming up they must have been thinking how over-rated the Thomond park cauldron is, such was the meekness of the crowd. And as the game progressed they must have had no doubt about it. As was said elsewhere, the 16th man didn't turn up, for whatever reason. Well done to the few who tried to get SUAF going. It's a pity the crowd didn't seem to know the words and preferred to sing The Dirge endlessly and meaninglessly.

Comment

@@@@SPAN lang="EN-IE">How can you tell me do ye expect there to
        be a @@@@/SPAN><st1:state><st1>@@@@SPAN lang="EN-IE">Munster@@@@/SPAN></st1></st1:state>@@@@SPAN lang="EN-IE"> when there are no players coming through??? Clubs are the backbone
        of rugby in this country, and always will be, clubs develop players for the
        future. Clubs have to do this to survive, membership for a club is what 80 euro
        maybe, and how can they survive off that when they have so few members because
        the now "genuine"@@@@/SPAN><st1:state><st1>@@@@SPAN lang="EN-IE">Munster@@@@/SPAN></st1></st1:state>@@@@SPAN lang="EN-IE"> supporter doesn’t even have a club or support club rugby??? Did the
        supporters club sell out@@@@/SPAN><st1:state><st1>@@@@SPAN lang="EN-IE">Munster@@@@/SPAN></st1></st1:state>@@@@SPAN lang="EN-IE"> rugby is the question I seem to be thinking off, maybe look at that
        one.@@@@/SPAN>

Cant touch this do do do do do do do do cant touch this

She\'ll drag the lake
        To keep the vendetta alive.

Comment

What exactly do the clubs that sell the tickets do with all the money? There are plenty of clubs that don't feel the need to sell all their tickets.
          Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

I fail to see how any Munster supporter could be seen as less "genuine" because they don't follow an AIL club.
            Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
            Munster: Early Season
            Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
            Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
            Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

I can't speak for any AIL club but one and it didn't sell it's ticket allocation to anyone but members. There wouldn't be a Munster rugby but for the clubs. Get real folks.
              Hello friends in Brussels. Baldy here

Comment

What a ridiculous proposition to put forward. Without the effort of the clubs over the years, would Munster have one a Heineken Cup? The answer is unequivocally no.

It is the clubs that produce the players. John Hayes would never have played for Munster without the work Shannon put into developing him into a prop. Ian Dowling was given a platform to display his talents with Shannon, from where the Munster selectors noticed his abilities. The majority of players on the Munster teamm would have started off with the clubs. They don't just magically appear. The cost of running clubs nowadays is severe. The culture of volunteerism is dying. The standards by which club players expect to be treated rise every year. There was a period when clubs were paying players and a mercenary culture was developing, but the clubs have pulled back. Most of the clubs now spend most of their money on player development at all levels.

Just because you paid your annual membership and go to a few club games during the year does not give you a right to tickets. Only those who are actively involved in clubs, giving up their spare time, deserve such tickets, i.e. the underage coaches, the bagman for the seconds or third team, the man collecting money at the gate for games or the groundsman who spends hours of his spare time tendering to the pitched. It is these people and their clubs who are trying to produce the next generation of Munster players. While there is a Munster academy nowadays, the clubs still have a pivotal role to play in developing these players.

If a club feels the need to sell a few tickets to provide the funds necessary to run the clubs, I fail to see what the problem is, particularly if the active members have been looked after first.

Comment

Was one of about 200 people standing outside TP last night hoping to get a ticket at the last minute. Had driven to Cork from Dublin on Friday night supposedly to collect my ticket only to be let down at the last minute. Thought about jumping the wall with the kids but decided I was to old and fat for that sort of thing ... things only went down hill from there really ...

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled in D4
                    Just because you paid your annual membership and go to a few club games during the year does not give you a right to tickets. Only those who are actively involved in clubs, giving up their spare time, deserve such tickets, i.e. the underage coaches, the bagman for the seconds or third team, the man collecting money at the gate for games or the groundsman who spends hours of his spare time tendering to the pitched. It is these people and their clubs who are trying to produce the next generation of Munster players. While there is a Munster academy nowadays, the clubs still have a pivotal role to play in developing these players.

If a club feels the need to sell a few tickets to provide the funds necessary to run the clubs, I fail to see what the problem is, particularly if the active members have been looked after first.
                    The problem though is that "active members" aren't being looked after. I've said this on another thread already, but I met a senior club prop yesterday who couldn't get a ticket. He'd had his sold out from under him. There are schoolboy coaches who I know that couldn't get tickets for the Cardiff match FFS.

This is endemic to the club scene in Munster. And you have to ask the question; What the hell are the clubs going to do if / when the Munster bubble bursts and we have a truly crap season?

The clubs don't "sell a few tickets" to provide funds. The sell the majority of their tickets. Some clubs sell to other clubs. There were even rumours yesterday that Bertie's allocation had to be bought back from a club. The chicken and chips brigade with a speech after have to have their actions examined. It's spoiling the atmosphere of games because the majority of people who get the tickets in the end have no other desire to be at the game other than "I was there!"

It's a problem because the clubs aren't only necessary to the game, they are the game. But they're building towers that can't be supported forever.
                    Hibernicis natione, Mumhan per gratiam Dei

Comment

I don't think the AIL clubs have particularly sold Munster Rugby out, it is just a consequence of the structure that Irish Rugby has been saddled with. We should have a ringfenced top division of 10 teams, with all the others returning to amateur status. Take away the need for clubs denying their members tickets, to run corporate dinners to raise money to pay players (a black hole). It is nonsensical.

The IRFU are largely to blame for this. They are the leaders of the organisation, they should be leading, rather than letting the clubs fudge the issue. Turkeys don't generally vote for Christmas.

Comment

Huron, that is precisely the issue. The clubs are no longer community centres. They only see themselves as businesses to raise dead money to pay players. It has to stop. The way the likes of Shannon treat their members is a disgrace, and this is one of the top clubs in the country.

Munster Rugby must be seperated from the Munster clubs, and they need to expand/improve the academy system to recruit future players.

Comment

What evidence do you have of Shannon treating their members disgracefully?
                          Cant touch this do do do do do do do do cant touch this

She\'ll drag the lake
                          To keep the vendetta alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon Girl
                            What evidence do you have of Shannon treating their members disgracefully?

The evidence of Shannon members on this site.

Is it not the case that Shannon decided not to have a Corporate event for the SF last year because the members had decided enough was enough, and fought it?

SG, less of the fortress mentality, the same can be said for most other clubs. There are few honourable exceptions.

Comment

Bohs did do it too Laz, and my father, a past president and current commitee member didn't get one ticket. But in a way it's difficult to blame the clubs outright, as ye have said, they are in an unsustainable position. With nobody attending games they need to take advantage of situations like yesterday to keep themselves going.

They're also in serious trouble after the development goes ahead.
                              "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Working...
                              X