No announcement yet.

Munster 6 - 13 Leicester : Match Reports

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Munster 6 - 13 Leicester : Match Reports

    <div style="font-weight: bold;">
    Munster 6-13 Leicester</font>

    <!- S BO ->
    <!- S IBYL ->

    <t></t><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="416">
    <td valign="bottom">

    By James Standley


    <!- E IBYL ->

    <!- S IIMA ->

    <t></t><table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="203">

    <div>O'Connell's decision not to kick an easy penalty may have cost Munster</div>

    <!- E IIMA ->

    Munster 6
    Pens: O'Gara 2</font>

    Leicester 13
    Tries: Murphy, Smith
    Pen: Humphreys

    <!- S SF ->
    Leicester created history as they became the first
    team to beat Munster in the Heineken Cup at Thomond Park, topping Pool
    Four in the process.


    Ian Humphreys and Ronan O'Gara landed a penalty apiece before Geordan Murphy's try put the Tigers 8-3 in front.

    O'Gara cut the gap to 8-6 at the break but the European
    champions spurned a penalty in the second half and Ollie Smith's try
    sealed Leicester's win.

    Munster still made the last eight as one of the two best runners-up.
    <!- E SF ->

    From the moment Leicester centre Dan Hipkiss sliced
    through the Munster line from deep in his own 22 after just 30 seconds
    it was clear the Tigers were up for it.

    And they took the lead after three minutes when
    Humphreys, younger brother of O'Gara's long-time rival for the Ireland
    number 10 shirt David, landed a penalty. </font>

    O'Gara missed a long-range kick after 11 minutes but the
    Munster number 10 was soon on target from in front of the posts after
    he had cut through from an inside pass.

    However, Leicester were back in front within three
    minutes, claiming the first try of the night as Lewis Moody's fine pass
    gave Murphy the chance to finish in style.

    Both teams were defying the wet and windy conditions to
    produce some fine rugby but as the game passed the half hour mark the
    rain began to hammer down.

    O'Gara gave the crowd something to cheer when he judged
    the wind perfectly to trim the gap to two points with a penalty right
    on the stroke of half-time. </font>

    Leicester had held the upper hand physically during the
    first half and although Munster showed signs straight after the break
    of getting to grips with the visitors, the Leicester pack reasserted

    The Tigers eight earned Humphreys a chance to stretch the lead but he was off target with a 55th-minute penalty.

    Five minutes later Munster bafflingly spurned the chance
    to take a kickable penalty in favour of a scrum and they immediately
    lost possession wh