a strong Munster team on the pitch. So what happened, and what
    needs to be done to fix it?

It looks like Halstead is definately gone at the end of the season,
    similarly Payne is reaching the end of his career with no obvious
    replacement coming through. Leamy is our only starting backrow
    below 30, out halfbacks are 30 or near enough, with serious doubts
    over their replacements.

Now obviously, the team doesn't need massive surgery tomorrow,
    but that day is coming, are we prepared for it?

Personally, I'd like to see Dowling brought into IC, Flannery back
    starting, more of Hurley and Ryan and O'Sullivan, Keogh brought
    back, Kearney brought in, Earls brought in, O'Leary been made
    choose one position and Mafi moved to the wing.
    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
    Well, simple as it sounds, we were well beaten by a better team with
    a strong Munster team on the pitch. So what happened, and what
    needs to be done to fix it?

It looks like Halstead is definately gone at the end of the season,
    similarly Payne is reaching the end of his career with no obvious
    replacement coming through. Leamy is our only starting backrow
    below 30, out halfbacks are 30 or near enough, with serious doubts
    over their replacements.

Now obviously, the team doesn't need massive surgery tomorrow,
    but that day is coming, are we prepared for it?

Personally, I'd like to see Dowling brought into IC, Flannery back
    starting, more of Hurley and Ryan and O'Sullivan, Keogh brought
    back, Kearney brought in, Earls brought in, O'Leary been made
    choose one position and Mafi moved to the wing.

I would like to see us concentrate on retaining our Heineken European Cup.

Comment

We need a natural 12 - and quickly! After that we need to look at the scrum again. Our Q/F opposition now know how to beat us, so we'll need to be very clever for that game.
      Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

I think that's a given Glorob, and I still think we'll do it, provided
        Halstead is fit, but we are looking a big changes down the line, and I'm
        not sure we're doing all we can to make it as seamless as possible.

We need to find out what Mateus and Cullen can offer us, we were very
        blunt in the backs tonight.
        It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Payne had a very solid game tonight; if you were picking a team based on tonight's performance, he and DOC would be the first 2 names on the sheet.
          New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Mafi was weak defensively tonight, and not for the first time either. can't see John kelly being around much longer too. Quinlan and Halstead were badly missed. Last few games have shown up hom much Halstead is relied on, Maybe if a few more Euro's were thrown his way he might reconsider going for another year????
            To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Comment

Everything I've heard says Halstead is retiring, it's not about the
              money.

Comment

Surely Cullen should have been given a go tonight(I know he's not the future) but the backs rarely if ever looked like opening up the tigers and maybe there would have been a trick or two in the old dog?

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Roll Away

Surely Cullen should have been given a go tonight(I know he's not the future) but the backs rarely if ever looked like opening up the tigers and maybe there would have been a trick or two in the old dog?

How much good quick attacking ball reached first centre tonight? CC wouldn't have made much of a difference, imho.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

mafi isn't a 12 but he is quick. dowling is a good player but lacks pace to play on the wing. Munster should be looking to recruit the likes of Kieran Lewis from Leinster- if munster can offload what they regard as surplus forwards to leinster then i can't see why things can't move in the other direction.

Comment

Originally posted by shambo
                      mafi isn't a 12 but he is quick. dowling is a good player but lacks pace to play on the wing. Munster should be looking to recruit the likes of Kieran Lewis from Leinster- if munster can offload what they regard as surplus forwards to leinster then i can't see why things can't move in the other direction.

Keogh and Hogan moved to Dublin (quite rightly) to further their international chances.

But Lewis isn't that close to the Irish squad that he needs to uproot himself plus he knows he'll get lots of game time with Leinster. Also he probably looks at the way TOL/Mossie Lawlor are treated and says "no thanks".

One issue I see with Munster is that DK rarely gives the subs much of a run. For example, Coughlan and Puc deserve much more gametime.

Comment

I spoke to Trevor Halstead before the match, asked him if he'd be giving us one more season, he said, maybe, if the body holds up
                        Con Artist

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia
                          I spoke to Trevor Halstead before the match, asked him if he'd be giving us one more season, he said, maybe, if the body holds up

did you manage to get a ticket?

Comment

Yeah I did CC & despite the result I'd still always want to be there
                            Con Artist

Comment

I feel sorry for poor TOL, not one of his better nights, but one week he's a scrum half, next out on the wing, bought the decoy's run and was caught badly for the try. The curse of being a utility back
                              Con Artist

Comment

Working...
                              X