Earlsy redefining rugby...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cathal

Barry O'Mahoney's old academy profile listed Castletroy as his birthplace IIRC, it's hardly unique.
    Agreed. Lots of people are born in Castletroy [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by taz
      So he could play in the backline of any team in the universe? Fair enough I say[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img].

Players who could play on any team in the universe.... surely one for: Teams with a Twist?!
      Free Palestine.

Champions aren\'t made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision.
      Muhammad Ali

Comment

Love this quote:

"The question of what is Earls' best position has been the subject of
        much debate but the young Limeric man's response to that is, "I'll let
        others talk about. I'd play in the front row if it meant playing for my
        country.</span>"

<div style="text-align: right;">http://www.munsterrugby.ie/19_8624.php
        <div style="text-align: left;">

Pa G would to turn on d'oul' spelchekr!!!
        </div>
        </div>
        Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
          Originally posted by Dermot G
          Nothing wrong with being proud of your birthplace.

Of course not, just think it's weird they point it out like it's a

distinguishing feature or something. If they put Thomondgate for Barry

Murphy, or Clareview for Mossie I wouldn't think it was so odd.
          Agreed. Reminds me of when Paul O'Connell got his first cap and Tony Ward commentating on RTE said something like "he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth" as POC ran onto the pitch. Now, Wardy meant the best, but there was something a bit patronising about it, i.e. if you come from Young Munsters you must be some sort of street-urchin turned savage. Foley, Halvey and Clohessy received similar treatment down through the years. And now Earls. Highlighting that he is from Moyross, when the others are simply from Limerick, Cork or wherever, sort of says "wow, look what we got here, a real live salt-o-the-earth tough kid who beat heroin and inter-gang warfare to make it in the pro leagues ... this is what Limerick rugby is all about .. blablabla".

Comment

Originally posted by beir bua
            Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
            Originally posted by Dermot G
            Nothing wrong with being proud of your birthplace.
            Of course not, just think it's weird they point it out like it's a
            distinguishing feature or something. If they put Thomondgate for Barry
            Murphy, or Clareview for Mossie I wouldn't think it was so odd.
            Agreed. Reminds me of when Paul O'Connell got his first cap and Tony Ward commentating on RTE said something like "he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth" as POC ran onto the pitch. Now, Wardy meant the best, but there was something a bit patronising about it, i.e. if you come from Young Munsters you must be some sort of street-urchin turned savage. Foley, Halvey and Clohessy received similar treatment down through the years. And now Earls. Highlighting that he is from Moyross, when the others are simply from Limerick, Cork or wherever, sort of says "wow, look what we got here, a real live salt-o-the-earth tough kid who beat heroin and inter-gang warfare to make it in the pro leagues ... this is what Limerick rugby is all about .. blablabla".

and o connell is actually from quite a nice quite area a bit out the country.same place im from myself.grew up about 100 yeards down the road.
            g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
            -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
            -thomas sowell

Comment

I think the Moyross link is a good thing for any of the kids around the area who know him. Gives them something else to aim for other than each other (just joking before someone goes nuts). This is done everywhere, they've just localised it a little more. Maybe they'll be doing this in the future with anyone local who makes the step up. Purely for the purposes of raising the profile of the place and giving the kids something within touching distance. I'm all for it. Captain Hero, Thomondgate [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
              Stewie: We\'re playing house...
              Lois: But that kid is all tied up!
              Stewie: Roman Polanski\'s house.

Comment

Universal Back..Nice one Ruckus! Is it just that I'm drunk at work again or does that sound like the most fun position to play? Wish I could have been a universal forward!

Comment

Maybe if you hadnt had that major back injury you could have been...
                  Hip Flasks at the ready, double for a Stringer ankle tap!

Comment

Originally posted by major wavin

Universal Back..Nice one Ruckus! Is it just that I'm drunk at work again or does that sound like the most fun position to play? Wish I could have been a universal forward!

You mean like Big Pete?

Comment

The use term "universal back" to describe the position of a player that can play in more than one of the backs positions is not new.

The Bath player Ryan Davis has his position listed as universal back. The Bath website says of him "... (he) plays primarily as a full-back but can also play at fly-half and at inside centre." http://www.bathrugby.com/rugby/1st_s...layer=5074&amp ; ;includeref=dynamic

Sam Vesty and Austin Healy have also be called universal backs.

But Man-Of-The-Match Keith Earls can play anywhere from scrum half to full back. Truly universal.

Comment

I had heard the term utility back before but never universal, like the sound of it though!

Hip Flasks at the ready, double for a Stringer ankle tap!

Comment

Earls can play SH or OH?? News to me...

Comment

Itsa thing that crept in from the SH where those positions are only halfbacks apparently.
                            My computer thinks I'm gay
                            What's the difference anyway
                            When all the people do all day
                            Is stare into a phone

Comment

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
                              <T>
                              <TR>
                              <TD =smText width="80%">Posted: 06 November 2008 at 10:13pm | IP Logged </TD>
                              <TD noWrap align=right width="20%"> </TD></TR></T></TABLE>
                              <HR SIZE=1>
                              <!- Message ->
                              <DIV style="OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 100%">Since when has he been called Earlsy?</DIV>

<!- Message ''"" ->

Keith is referred to Earlsy because of his Father Ger, when Ger

played for the Cookies back in the 90's (93 being the best)

all oftheBoys fromthe Yellow Road (including myself)referred

toGeras Earlsy so Keith inherited it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruckuss
                                I had heard the term utility back before but never universal, like the sound of it though!

I guess a universal back is a utility back that can play WELL in all backline positions. [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
                                "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                                Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X