X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mol an Oige and all that

it's great to see big name players coming from abroad to fill gaps
    and the lads we've had like Dutchy, Mike Mullins, TH, SP etc.have all
    been top notch and you couldnt say enough good things about them.

However, ROG showed promise when he was very young and the
    reason he's now a world class OH is cos he has had so much game
    time and that has helped him develop into the player he is. Likewise
    Strin ger, the same will happen to Barry Murphy.

If the choice for a position is between a homegrown lad who's not
    quite there yet and getting an experienced player from abroad I
    think we should go with the homegrown lad because sitting on the
    bench hinders their development so significantly.

It becomes a cyclical problem cos when the experienced player
    moves on or retires the young lad wont have been allowed to
    develop properly and we go looking for another experienced player
    and on and on.

Look at Johnnie Sexton in Leinster- he look a real class act at just 21.
    That pass he threw off his left for the Leinster try in TP was quality.
    But the cailini have just signed Contepomi for another couple of
    years which presumably means he'll only get a shout if the Argie is
    injured.How will this hinder his long term development?

SP has been a trojan for us but he's nearing the end and who do we
    have to step in? Cullen for 2 years?but what will happen to the likes
    of Hurley in the 4 years they're kicking their heels waiting for the
    chance. The lack of exposure to top class rugger hinders them
    severely imo.

IMO if we gave the younger lads their chance we'd see a greater
    benefit in the long term.

yep but are the provinces willing to let their chances in the HEC/ML suffer so they can bring on new players? This is what connacht is supposed to be for no?
    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Connacht are no longer officially a development province as far as I know. Its a good point about fullback though. This is definitely aposition where we need a back up and have very few options.Without going into the whole Cullen debate again who is next in line or possibly going to take over long term?

My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

The idea should be to blend the two. AFAIK we're looking at both Payne and Cullen being gone at the end of this season. In which case Hurley or Lawlor or TOL needs to be brought through this season with coaching & help from the 2 experienced guys. That should be (hopefully) what is happening with Puc and Hurley, Ryan etc. It may have been the aim with Wyatt and Ryan. Basically experienced foreign players should be a short term solution to fill a gap and bring through the local youngster. As Old Dog said, there should really be an age cap of (for example) 30 on foreign players and there should also be some requirement that the top end of that age range comes with a requirement to have been a top level player and have something to pass on to the squad.

The problem we've had is that Gaffney, for whatever he achieved, did not get the concept that Munster was primarily a local club for local players. He brought in a lot of outsiders to varying effect. But one effect it did have was to stop dead a lot of development because he was prepared to pick poor journeyman to lose matches instead of giving youngsters a shot.

We need to get the balance right. Certainly looking at some of the things Murphy is doing he's learned from Halstead's play. If Dowling's change in defensive ability (his positioning was non existent first few games he played) has come from playing alongside Payne, then again that's what we should be achieving from these deals.

Comment

Hurley looked good in the one game I saw him in, but it's not enough to tell.

Hickey's game on Friday has shaken my faith in him as a 10, but I still think he has all the skills we need in a 15, good tackler, good pace and a huge kick from hand.

Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
          "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

Its hugely unfair to judge him on 40 minutes. Yes he missed two kicks but lets not get too harsh. Remember ROG missed a bundle of kicks in Twickers in 2000 but came back to be a top notch 10.

My computer thinks I'm gay
            What's the difference anyway
            When all the people do all day
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Who is currently in the Munster 'A' and Academy backlines?

Comment

<DIV>
                Originally posted by Silent Bob
                Who is currently in the Munster 'A' and Academy backlines?
                </DIV>
                <DIV></DIV>
                <DIV>Earls, Hurley, Doyle, Gleeson. Not sure who else.</DIV>
                <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
                http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
                </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

those lads have got to get protracted exposure to the big time
                  otherwise the promise they show will be for nought.

Comment

will u go away. since when is munster a local club for local players. maybe 20yrs ago it was, not anymore. i agree we need to be developing our guys and nt donkeys like wyatt, but if we can sign someone who is top class and is zimbabwe or where ever then im all for it. im sick of this local club/parish nonsense

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

Its hugely unfair to judge him on 40 minutes. Yes he missed two kicks but lets not get too harsh. Remember ROG missed a bundle of kicks in Twickers in 2000 but came back to be a top notch 10.
                      you have me looking forward to the 2013 heineken cup already.

Comment

Well you're welcome to your opinion. The point I was making is that the existence of Munster is based around the entity not just the first team. If you break that link you're risking turning it into just a franchise. It's no coincidence that a truly successful side like Leicester are in fact a local club that concentrates on being that, with some imports but even then some of those (like the Tuillagis) have been brought in through1 import and the rest have become local lads.

I'm not against a top rate player coming in. But as I said before, Gaffney would rather have played some very substandard imports that left us with a long term gap in playing staff.

You might also want to consider that we can't afford to staff the squad mainly fromtop imports. Thereforemaking the bulk of the squad as local players with a loyalty to the locality makes it easier to keep them and frees up a bit more money for the odd top import. So pure economics dictates it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

Fair enough, though it did seem like the crowd got to him for those kicks (he was taking his time with the kicks, and the crowd started jeering him), which is a little worrying.

It's hard to know what'll happen for the reserve 10 spot - we can't really afford to keep swapping between the two thus giving neither enough game time; but which do we choose? Manning looked impressive while on the pitch on Friday, but does seem frail/injury prone. Hickey's a very good tactical kicker, fast and a good tackler, but his place kicking isn't as good.
                          Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                          "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Tim Buktoo
                            will u go away. since when is munster a local
                            club for local players. maybe 20yrs ago it was, not anymore.* i agree
                            we need to be developing our guys and nt donkeys like wyatt, but if we
                            can sign someone who is top class and is zimbabwe or where ever then
                            im all for it. im sick of this local club/parish nonsense
                            should I bother? I wont.

The All Blacks operate a similar developmental strategy i.e when an
                            older player is showing the first signs of being on the wane they put in
                            the young guy.
                            How many times have you seen top class names dropped from their
                            side for some young lad to come in. It seems to be all about
                            experience?

Comment

We need to develop local talent to a) promote the game and b) becuase we can't pay top level wages. We could never do what Toulon did with signing Umaga.

one method imo, short of starting an A league, is to send young guys off to the GP/Div1 for a year or 2 (or more), assuming there's a club willing to have them. It's risky, but it can work, Jennings is returning to Leinster a much better player, for example. Were Reddan to return, his years at Wasps would time better spent than playing for Old Cresent in the AIL, no disrespect intended to either the club or the league.
                              It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Working...
                              X