Shaun Payne

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaun Payne

Thought he had a great game again yesterday - although not as notable as previous games - he was still solid and dependable - all day.

Just wondering whether, in light of The Swerve's injury, we might see him in an Irish strip before long. (If even for splinters, watching Geordan Murphy !).

Not looking forward to having to be dependant on GM for a 6 nations or a WC.

Payne has been a great pro and in fabulous form of late, probably the form player of any Irish provincial team since the start of the season. Wouldn't it be a nice bookend to his career ?

No hope......the future is Luke Fitz in that role....would be rediculous for EOS to cap Payne(@his age!),no matter how well he plays....
    Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Although it makes sense I just can't see EOS doing it. He's some player though. He made one massive hit on D'arcy yesterday and knocked the wind out of him, not an easy thing to do!
      Biffo ate my future.

Comment

Even if it meant winning a world cup, CoolJ?
        Our rugby team has a province!

Comment

Originally posted by LLCOOLJ14
          No hope......the future is Luke Fitz in that role....would be rediculous for EOS to cap Payne(@his age!),no matter how well he plays....

I'd say it's Kearney rather than Luke.
          Biffo ate my future.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockey
            Even if it meant winning a world cup, CoolJ?

Dont think he would have that kind of impact. To be fair,there are plenty of examples of players who are great at club/provincial level,and who do not make that next step...not saying I dont think Payne is good enough, I just dont think,at this stage of his career, he is an option worth considering...I know he was in the squad a few years back,and nothing came of that...

Also, we should never build for 1 tournament either-look whats happened to England....
            Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Originally posted by paki

Based on what?

I didnt think Kearney was up to much last yr, despite the hype,and the few games Ive seen him play this year ,he's been awful....Even playing for UCD thisseasonhe hasnt stood out...

I think Luke Fitz is far better than him,and will play fullback for a few years before ending up in the centre......
              Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Based on what?

I didnt think Kearney was up to much last yr, despite the hype,and the few games Ive seen him play this year ,he's been awful....Even playing for UCD thisseasonhe hasnt stood out...

I think Luke Fitz is far better than him,and will play fullback for a few years before ending up in the centre......

IMO the best thing would be Kearney at 15 and Fitzgerald at 13. I just think Kearney is a better FB. He's going through a barren patch at the moment but I know he'll snap out of it soon enough, he's too good a player not to.
                Biffo ate my future.

Comment

Based on what?

IMO the best thing would be Kearney at 15 and Fitzgerald at 13. I just think Kearney is a better FB. He's going through a barren patch at the moment but I know he'll snap out of it soon enough, he's too good a player not to.

Again, Ill ask based on what?Having seen him play a good few times in person, Im struggling to see where this faith is comming from?
                  Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Based on what?

Again, Ill ask based on what?Having seen him play a good few times in person, Im struggling to see where this faith is comming from?

Based on the many schools matches where he single handedly tore very good teams to shreds and based on the matches that I've seen him perform in for leinster last season.
                    Biffo ate my future.

Comment

Lads you're dreaming if you think Kearney or Fitz are in the same league as Payne. Overseas he's rated as one of the best FBs in the NH right now, as is RoG at FH. The youngster aren't even rated at AIL level. Age doesn't come into it. take off the blinkers.

Comment

Originally posted by mike11
                        Lads you're dreaming if you think Kearney or Fitz are in the same league as Payne. Overseas he's rated as one of the best FBs in the NH right now, as is RoG at FH. The youngster aren't even rated at AIL level. Age doesn't come into it. take off the blinkers.

I wasn't for a second saying that they're better than Payne. The whole point of the thread was asking whether we should have Payne at 15 for Ireland.
                        Biffo ate my future.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Paynes and he is superb for munster but theres no point capping him at this stage.

Personally, even a few years ago I still wouldn't have as Idon't agree with the capping of Kiwis, Ozzies, Saffers etc unless they play most of their career here.

Hes still already a Munster legend in my book and long may his great form continue.

Comment

Originally posted by mike11

Mike, who overseas is rating Payne? Haven't seen anything in the media apart from the Irish media..

Comment

Did he not make so UK journo's team of the HEC for the first few
                              games. Any how, we'll get that O'Riordain guy from Connacht for next
                              year.
                              It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Working...
                              X