Donncha Ryan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donncha Ryan?

Donncha gave another excellent display tonight, followed on from his likewise display against Edinburagh and his other displays whenever he has got the chance this year.

We currently have the top 3 irish ranked locks in POC, DOC and MOD. And all are playing well. But Ryanshould not automatically be deemed to be bottom choice because the 3 established players ahead of him are not playing badly.

IMO opinion the guy is playing so well that he is currently our best or second best lock on form, with DOC. MOD played well when he came on in france and was alright last weekend. POC is getting back to form but nowhere near his best.I think that Ryan should be starting picked on form, alongside DOC. POC on the bench. MOD to lose out. I know that sounds harsh on MOD and POC, but i just think thats the current order of our second rows. None are playing anyway badly, and sometimes you dont get droped because your playing badly, you get droped because your not playing as well as someone else. Thats what i think should happen in the current case.

BTW this isint a debate on wether Ryan should start because we need to stick with him or wether he should move or any of that. I just want to know what people think the current order is at second row based on form?
    Starting.
    0%
    On the bench.
    0%
    Out of the 22.
    0%

I honestly couldnt call it.There should be a Matt Williamsoption [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Comment

well its either starting or out of the 22 for me. when deccie looks at his bench and sees ryan he would hesitate to bring him on. there would be no other hesitation if it were POC or MOD. we all know that deccie is conservative and wouldnt bring a youngster on in a tight situation, however he could easily replace a youngster with an experienced campaigner. i picked ryan to start with DOC and MOD on the bench.
      http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/o...nnusrose_b.jpg

Comment

<DIV>I think POC and DOC will start, it's nearly impossible to drop micko at the moment too as he hasn't done anything wrong, plus he made a difference when he came on against France. Think Ryan is a quality player who is going to be something special but it's not going to happen this season for him in the HC.</DIV>
        To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Comment

But Roll Away, we shouldnt keeping a player out of the 22 just because a player ahead of him "hasnt done anything wrong" and you could likewise say that Ryan has done absoloutly nothing wrong either whenever given his chance, and has imo done more good than Mick has done.

Another way to look at the current impase is that Ryan is currently the regular lock, and that POC, DOC and MOD should effectivley be made play for there places and try to dislodge Ryanin the munster shirt in the run up to the HEC QF. I believe we have 2 games after the 6N but before the QF, so what i would do is start POC and Micko in the first game, and DOC and Ryan in the second, and then pick your best combination.

Comment

Apparently they kept throwing to Ryan in the line out and not POC in an ingenious ploy to get him into the Irish squad.

Comment

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
              <T>
              <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
              <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">Busbi - But isn't it easier for DR to do well when he is playing against weakened teams etc in the ML whereas MOD/DOC have done it at international level and HC level this season...</TD></TR>
              <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
              <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
              <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiedub
                <TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n"><T>
                <T>
                <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
                <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">Busbi - But isn't it easier for DR to do well when he is playing against weakened teams etc in the ML whereas MOD/DOC have done it at international level and HC level this season...</TD></TR>
                <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Yes but not to any massive degree imo. That match tonight was HEC standard imo, both in terms of standard and intensity. Ryan was alongside POC tonight and was arguably more, or a least as, impressive. Also Ryans cameo against Clermont in TP had people drooling. Theres many times ive seen DOC and Micko be invisable in ML games. You have to reward ML form, its out bread and butter competition and its our best gauge of where our players are at.

Comment

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
                  <T>
                  <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
                  <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

Busbi - I wouldn't say that was HC standard at all....Ryan's cameo again was against a well beaten 2nd choice Clermont team....

So you rate ML form ahead of HC/6Nations form? Well Lewis played better than Maafi so should he be kept on for next matches?</TD></TR>
                  <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Comment

It was 2 teams that are in the HEC QF's playing with near full strenght sides. It was easily the same level of typical HEC group stage match.

And no i do not rate aML performance ahead of HEC/6N performance. But likewise you have to factor in ML form, and as our domestic competition, you have to take the ML as the main basis for selection, as if a player is doing it week in week out in the ML. Ryan has been our ML player of the year imo. That has to stand for something.

And yes, if Kieren Lewis could keep repeaing his form from last night, and Mafi kept playing badly, for another 2 or 3 games, then Lewis would deserve his place ahead of Mafi.

Comment

You can hardly rate the ML as of a higher standard to the HC or 6N seriously? The odd match could be of a similar standard but realistically they quite often turn out to be schoolboy matches. More of a reflection of teams' view on the competition than any other reason though.
                      The trick is getting to the second set of horses.

Comment

Please read my post properly, I never said the ML was a higher standard or anything like that. But we are playing ML week in week out and it is our best indicator ofour players form. The best example is last year after the 6N. The "seconds" went up to Ravenhill and won. The next week for Llanelli game, DK throws back in all the internationals, and shafts the likes of Buckely, JOS, Coughlan, Ryan who were all excellent the week before.

Comment

It genuinely is too hard to call a month out. Given that there's a fair bit
                          of rugby between now and then, you'd have to leave this until the last
                          moments to make the call.

And even then, you'd be doubting yourself.
                          Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

If available POC and DOC will start and MOD will be cover. They are the boys who have produced the goods when the chips were down in the past and they are the ones that DK will look to again. Others will have to wait their turn. DR is a great prospect.
                            Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

<!-
                              var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                              var SymReal;

Sym()
                              {
                              window.open = SymWinOpen;
                              if(SymReal != null)
                              SymReal();
                              }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                              {
                              if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                              SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                              window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                              SymReal = window.;
                              window. = Sym;
                              }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                              window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

I would rate MOD as our best lock this season with DOC surpassing him on recent form.

D Ryan looks good and will develop further. However, I would not have him ahead of MOD or DOC.

I would prefer POC to DR as a sub. I think D Ryan shold move hopefully to Conaught.

POC past performances were enought to get his Irish jersey back. It will be interesting to see if he gets a start against Gloucester.

Comment

Working...
                              X