Len Dineen appreciation thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Len Dineen appreciation thread

I dunno how many of ye would have tuned in to Len for Munster matches - many years ago, for a few seasons I used to listen to the internet stream for nearly every one, but I fell out of the habit nearly as many years ago once I got access to actual moving pictures of games, and I'm regretting that somewhat now that he is hanging up the microphone. If you've any favourite moments, post them up. I loved how he would mix up players who looked absolutely f**king nothing like one another, something like "O'Gara passes the ball out to ... Warwick. No, Howlett". But I'll start off with rathbaner's actual quote of him from the game just past - "JJ lines up the kick in a rain drenched Thomond Park. Sun drenched, I mean."
    Tis but a scratch.

He spoke one night of an escaped parrot over in Rhebogue on his Sounds Easy music show
    "if anyone sees the parrot on a roof or in a tree call us"

Quite enjoyed when he would tell us about someone he knew getting a new hip mid commentary
    I am the million man.

Comment

I was driving one night so had to listen to match on a radio, there was a minutes silence so things went a bit quiet.... All of a sudden Len starts whispering... If you've just tuned in ... It's a minute silence , can't talk!

Comment

A try! A try for munster!

Jay's that was great rugby, really good

And our visitors drop off to start the game again

(What about the conversion Len?)
        I am the million man.

Comment

I think he’s more of a summariser than commentator (because of how much he misses)-but in fairness he’s fairly transparent when they’re playing rubbish! I’ve tried having the two lens on with TG4 nearly went demented

Comment

He's a true gent in all senses of the word. I hope his retirement is long and comfortable and hopefully very well paid for in association with Clohessys on Howleys Quay.
            Hibernicis natione, Mumhan per gratiam Dei

Comment

Going to age myself quite badly here but I bet I am the only person here to play a schools rugby game against Len Snr. in a team that included one of his sons.
              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

I'll certainly miss the complete tangents he went off on, that had nothing to do with the actual game.
                Last edited by Mack the Knife; 9th-May-2018, 13:33.
                We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Not quite John "The Man" Frawley levels of stream of consciousness, but by God he had his moments. They say a good radio commentator paints a picture for his listeners, and Len could do that in spades.

Wishing him well on his retirement.
                  Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                    Going to age myself quite badly here but I bet I am the only person here to play a schools rugby game against Len Snr. in a team that included one of his sons.
                    Did Len coach in Munchins when Dave played there? Don't ever remember him coaching in Crescent Comp and would have been his class with his eldest son and played senior cup with Dave before his move across town.
                    Its deja vu all over again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                      Did Len coach in Munchins when Dave played there. Don't ever remember him coaching in Crescent Comp and would have been his class with his eldest son.
                      My favourite Len moment was meeting him in the airport in France after the semi final in 2000 and asking him how it ranked in terms of an achievement by a Munster team to which he replied " I was just speaking to Wardie and he said it was greater than 78 and I can't argue with that"
                      Its deja vu all over again!!!

Comment

Ah no, love listening to Len while on the terrace. Always great entertainment. Met him on an away trip years ago and gave him a hand with his gear, lovely man
                        Marty in the Morning

Comment

A legend. Deserves to be presented to the crowd at the next home European game. He’d get some reception...

Comment

Didn't he used to have a highlights programme on Westward Cables telly of local teams in the AIL back in the 90's ? I think it was shown on a Monday evening during the season.

Comment

He played a senior schools semi final for Crescent versus CBC, first half at number 8, second half at loosehead, (iirc they had an injury there) and he was bloody effective at both.

Tough old stick, no doubt!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Working...
                              X