Eir buys Setanta & BT sport Irish rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
    I just got an email from eir saying that BT sports will no longer be available as part of the eir sports package from 1-Aug-19.
    Maybe they will still show games on Premier Sports?
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

Maybe they will still show games on Premier Sports?
      In the U.K. it seems that they will be offering it as an “App” on Now TV and other platforms including Apple TV.

Comment

These lads deserve every dodgy Android box the Chinese can throw at them.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
          I just got an email from eir saying that BT sports will no longer be available as part of the eir sports package from 1-Aug-19.
          Are you getting it as part of your sky package or are you an eir broadband customer?
          When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

I believe and i may be wrong - that BT sport is going to be provided as part of the sky sports package now.
            As far as i know it's not going to cost anymore (for now) but I haven't seen confirmation of this.
            Last edited by munstershane; 3rd-July-2019, 16:30.
            Life is good

Comment

Originally posted by munstershane View Post
              I believe and i may be wrong that it BT going to be provided as part of the sky sports package now.
              As far as i know it's not going to cost anymore (for now) but I haven't seen confirmation of this.
              My understanding is that in the UK they will soon (next year?) be able to offer each other’s content- and charge accordingly (because they pay each other for access)- rather than the current situation which is that you can, as a sky customer, pay sky for access to BTsports (passing through your money to them)- I don’t know whether this applies outside the uk.

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post

Are you getting it as part of your sky package or are you an eir broadband customer?
                Eir BB customer.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

My understanding is that in the UK they will soon (next year?) be able to offer each other’s content- and charge accordingly (because they pay each other for access)- rather than the current situation which is that you can, as a sky customer, pay sky for access to BTsports (passing through your money to them)- I don’t know whether this applies outside the uk.
                  That sounds like something that offers a distinct lack of competition and should be looked into by the relevant authorities.

I have had EIR tv for a little over a year and it worked well because I only watch rugby and couldn’t care about the soccer ball, looks like I will be investing in one of the products that offers every channel for a once off payment now...

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

That sounds like something that offers a distinct lack of competition and should be looked into by the relevant authorities.

I have had EIR tv for a little over a year and it worked well because I only watch rugby and couldn’t care about the soccer ball, looks like I will be investing in one of the products that offers every channel for a once off payment now...
                    What are these?
                    Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post

What are these?
                      I’m not sure the powers that be will appreciate such things being posted. Il send you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by munstershane View Post
                        I believe and i may be wrong - that BT sport is going to be provided as part of the sky sports package now.
                        I'd heard that but where does that leave the eir channels? Would they be a separate package and are they showing all the pro 14 matches?
                        When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

I'd heard that but where does that leave the eir channels? Would they be a separate package and are they showing all the pro 14 matches?
                          The Irish pay sports market is a bit of a mess at the moment. We have two domestic providers, Eir and Virgin, who are at loggerheads at won't carry each other's channels and are waiting for the other die out. We've Sky who have half a foot in the Irish market and BT who don't care. Until now it wasn't too bad for the consumer because BT were happy to be carried by Eir but now it seems they're looking to get a better deal. It's been grand for me to this point as Eir carry the two things I'm into, rugby and League of Ireland soccer, but now it's getting more fractured and the consumer will end up paying more as usual.

Comment

Eir and TG4 still have all the rights to the Pro 14 here.

Comment

Eir still showing the pro14 and world cup. Also still free for those with Eir BB
                              Life is good

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

The EU competition rules are the reason we're all paying through the nose for multiple subscriptions. If they hadn't forced the Premier League to split it's TV rights, then there would have been no Setanta/BT Sports and no price escalation due to their ongoing blind outbidding of each other for football rights.

And the GP and the original ERC Heineken Cup would still be on Sky.
                                Last edited by Wallyman; 5th-July-2019, 13:50.

Comment

Working...
                                X