Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do Munster arrange their home Friendly Fixtures for Friday Nights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do Munster arrange their home Friendly Fixtures for Friday Nights?

Every year, when the fixtures for the Pro12 and the Nigel's Cup ( and previously the Heineken Cup) are announced, there is either a tirade of protest when Munster get a Friday Night game or relief when they don't.

The difficulty that supporters will have getting from work to either TP or MP is usually the source of the protests.

The reason for such scheduling is usually stated to be the requirements of the various TV Stations who demand that particular fixtures are played at particular times.

Munster Rugby have often apologised for such scheduling, stating that matters were out of their hands.

Why, then, do Munster schedule the vast majority of their home Friendlies for Friday Nights?

The only home Friendly not scheduled for Friday in the last ten years was the Gloucester game in 2013.

None of these matches are televised so the "TV Company Excuse" does not apply.

Ireland playing on Sat and Paulie's last Ireland game in Ireland?
    PAUL O'CONNELL KNOWS MY NAME, HE NEEDED IT FOR THE RESTRAINING ORDER!

Comment

That might explain this, specific, example.

It doesn't explain the, apparent, general principle.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
        That might explain this, specific, example.

It doesn't explain the, apparent, general principle.
        Maybe the players and coaches prefer the Friday evening? Gives them a Saturday and Sunday off perhaps.

How many attended the two games in TP this month? 10K in total? The volume of travelling support for these games must be quite small?
        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
          Maybe the players and coaches prefer the Friday evening? Gives them a Saturday and Sunday off perhaps.

How many attended the two games in TP this month? 10K in total? The volume of travelling support for these games must be quite small?
          i would reckon the coaches would have a big input into the timing of the games probably in conjuntion with the opponents

Comment

If the coaches prefer Friday Night fixtures, then, in my opinion, Munster should play on Friday Nights.

If this is the case, however, then we should be spared the placing the blame on the TV Companies.

Comment

Usually it,s agreed between both sides. Something to do with being able to travel home that evening or worst case the following day. Giving a recovery day then on Sunday, allowing for a start to the training week again on the Monday.

Comment

Working...
              X