Glasgow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glasgow

I have never been to Glasgow. Does anybody know where the centre is, where's best to base yourself etc?

Becks lives there.
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

A few years since I was there, but Sauchiehall Street is the main drag.

Until it's very late and you end up in the Barrowlands for indie disco and pints of heavy before a smorgasbord of deep fried randomness.

That may not apply to everyone, mind.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

A bit away from the city centre is the West End. Bounded by the Great Western Road and Byres Road, it's popular with visitors and students. Glasgow is a good city. A bit like Limerick: traditionally suffered by comparison by sexier neighbours; but is gritty and has no pretensions about itself. Starting to look better too with a lot of regeneration, but there's still a lot to do. Attractive too with Glasgow Green and Kelivingrove both attractive areas at opposite ends of the city centre.
        "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
        Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by acskerries View Post
          I have never been to Glasgow. Does anybody know where the centre is, where's best to base yourself etc?
          I stayed at a Premier Inn at Charing Cross which is right next to Sauciehall Street. There's a really good Tapas restaurant on Sauciehall St, called Torres (next door to an Indian called Kama Sutra !), well worth a try... round about 320ish Sauciehall St. Right hand side as you're walking up from the ring road.

Comment

thanks Point, probably more my style than the late night indie disco etc!

Comment

Park inn at Ibrox is a smashing spot. A few pints in the Louden Tavern.
              There used to be a hotel attached to that Train station, grand spot it was too.
              From what I remember the whole town smelt of chips and there was a chip van on every piece of waste ground, of which there is quite a lot.
              Last edited by Mack the Knife; 3rd-May-2014, 17:52.
              We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
              Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Originally posted by Mack the Knife View Post
                Park inn at Ibrox is a smashing spot.
                I've hung out at the other side of town quite a bit and can hand on my heart day there isn't one single place I'd recommend - complete near derelict hell hole, bars with no windows, chairs or tables, shops with security bars only allowing you as far as the door like a garage night hatch.
                "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                  A few years since I was there, but Sauchiehall Street is the main drag.

Until it's very late and you end up in the Barrowlands for indie disco and pints of heavy before a smorgasbord of deep fried randomness.

That may not apply to everyone, mind.
                  Completely agree.
                  1st time I was there I was Sauchiehall St and a few slept very close at Victorian House Renfrew St. Great memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
                    I've hung out at the other side of town quite a bit and can hand on my heart day there isn't one single place I'd recommend - complete near derelict hell hole, bars with no windows, chairs or tables, shops with security bars only allowing you as far as the door like a garage night hatch.
                    Ever been to an off licence in a Liverpool ?
                    Glasgow is a ****ing kip .
                    We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                    Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Get a tour of the Macintosh School of Art, its part history/architecture and usually led by a studying art student.
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Becks will save us all.
                        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

I think people maybe have a habit of trading on impressions of what Glasgow was like 20-30 years ago and not what it is like now, as it has changed significantly. Yes there are a couple of ropey areas, but you can say the same of most European cities.

In the city centre the main drag is Buchanan St, certainly in terms of shops etc. The western end of Sauchiehall st has a lot of bars/clubs etc though. The Merchant City in on the E side of the city centre is a focus for nightlife too. The West End is the best bet for most pre/post-game stuff though (Scotstoun stadium is on the western edge of the W End area), particularly around Byres Rd and Ashton Ln - A small pedestrianised cobbled street with multiple bars/pubs and only 5-10mins in a taxi to the stadium.

Outwith rugby and drinking, there's is plenty other stuff to do - No end of shops, plenty museums (i.e. Kelvingrove, School Art, Riverside Museum), etc

Most hotels are in the city centre, although there are some in the W End. Its worth noting that it is the Scottish Cup Final in Glasgow on Saturday and given both competing teams are from outside the Glasgow area I think a fair few Dundee Utd and St Johnstone fans are staying in town the Friday night, so hotels may be quite booked up.

You can move between the W End and city centre best by subway (get on at Buchanan St or St Enoch in the centre, get off at Hillhead in the W End). Taxis are also pretty cheap in Glasgow. From the city centre you can catch the train from central and Queen St stations to Scotstounhill or Jordanhill for the stadium, although there's a bit of a walk from either to the ground. From the W End you can take a cab or bus (if you can figure them out!). The stadium is in a largely residential area so not many nearby bars worth visiting imo, but you can buy alcohol from the stadium outlets and the clubhouse next to the stadium.

Comment

Come on guys, Glasgow is actually a lovely city, and has not so nice areas like every other
                            city. We have flights booked, match tickets booked, hotel booked, and even parking at
                            the airport so we will be there! And so far, the long range forecast is not even too bad!

Comment

I believe The Gorballs is Fergie country.
                              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                              X