Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish Rail query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Irish Rail query

    When booking for next Sunday's game, last Monday,I could not get two adjacent seats so I booked seats in different carriages.

    I was on-line yesterday, and saw that they had put another carriage on the train, so I sent a query about changing my booking.

    Getting no reply, I rang today and the lady told me that I could cancel and rebook ( at a cost of 20% ) or just turn up and sit in one of the unreserved carriages. When I queried this, she said "there are always two or three carriages unreserved at the station" can anyone confirm this, please?

    #2
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    When booking for next Sunday's game, last Monday,I could not get two adjacent seats so I booked seats in different carriages.

    I was on-line yesterday, and saw that they had put another carriage on the train, so I sent a query about changing my booking.

    Getting no reply, I rang today and the lady told me that I could cancel and rebook ( at a cost of 20% ) or just turn up and sit in one of the unreserved carriages. When I queried this, she said "there are always two or three carriages unreserved at the station" can anyone confirm this, please?
    From my experience Irish Rail do have a no of carriages with unreserved seating, get there early though!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

    Comment


      #3
      It often depends on the actual train set they use. If they use the regular Cork set then all the seat reservations are displayed if they are booked. But sometimes they use a different set which usually appears on the Limerick/Galway/ Waterfors services then its Everyman for himself as they don't bother putting the reservations up.
      We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
      Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

      Comment


        #4
        We had some German visitors at work, heading back to Dublin from Waterford on the train. They all had booked seat numbers as a group. When they got on the train quite a few people had already sat down and taken their seats. They asked the Iarnrod Eireann people on the train if they could get them to move and they said 'Ah sure, dat's always happening. Sorry 'bout that' but wouldn't do anything so some of them had to stand all the way to Dublin

        They were not impressed
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

        Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

        Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
          We had some German visitors at work, heading back to Dublin from Waterford on the train. They all had booked seat numbers as a group. When they got on the train quite a few people had already sat down and taken their seats. They asked the Iarnrod Eireann people on the train if they could get them to move and they said 'Ah sure, dat's always happening. Sorry 'bout that' but wouldn't do anything so some of them had to stand all the way to Dublin

          They were not impressed
          "Irish Rail aren't eager to let it be publicly known but if you reserve a seat and you end up standing or end up in standard class despite booking first class you are entitled to a full refund.Visit our refund page here, download the appropriate refund form based on the journey you made. When completing the form, give the reason as:
          Reservation not honoured -
          • Seat did not exist, no other seat available
          • Train cancelled, broke down, replaced by bus (except where prior notice given at time of booking)
          • Missed connection due Irish Rail delay etc., travelled on other train as a result and had to stand
          • Occupant of seat refused to vacate, no other seat available
          • Booked first class - no first class on train"
          • SOURCE: http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_issues/seat_res.php
          • ALSO: http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_issues/report.php
          New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks OD - wonder if I can collect all the refund money 'on behalf of the Germans'??

            edit: I accept I sound like Angela Merkel now
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

            Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

            Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

            Comment


              #7
              Bring a bit of tinfoil and find the right fuse and there will be no reserved seats!

              I had a funny lurching stomach when I saw the thread title and the Author. I though it was going to be one of those problem Math questions from the 80's that went something like this: A train leaves the station at 6:00 P.M. traveling west at 80 mi/h. On a parallel track, a second train leaves the station 3 hours later traveling west a 100 mi/h. At what time will the second train catch up with the first?
              Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

              Comment


                #8
                9:00 am, of course. How far will they have travelled?

                Comment


                  #9
                  In Ireland they will run out of track

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                    9:00 am, of course. How far will they have travelled?
                    Far enough to break out the hang sammages and the flask of tea, of course.
                    Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I just let mrs chips work this all out, then told her she was wrong. She insisted she was right, I insisted she wasn't. After letting her work it all out again, I told her "these people are in Tralee - both trains headed west and hit the buffers". She was not amused.
                      Tis but a scratch.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                        I just let mrs chips work this all out, then told her she was wrong. She insisted she was right, I insisted she wasn't. After letting her work it all out again, I told her "these people are in Tralee - both trains headed west and hit the buffers". She was not amused.
                        Over the weekend a gang of ten of us were in Cardiff. We had different viewpoints on most things but were as one on one particular subject. When it comes to certain matters Women just have no sense of humour. And here's just another example.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I spent a lot of time on trains in Ireland over the last three years and I found the booking system only really works for the Dublin - Cork route and the odd time on other routes. They do print your seat reservation (eg B26) on the ticket from the machine in the station. If the electronic display is not working you can flash the reservation and tell the 'seat fillers' to high tail it out of there. It has worked many times for me. I also had a chat with two CIE employees on a train from Wexford last year on a Friday evening and they told me that the trains that didn't have the electronic display used to put out a reserved sign on the seats but and I quote, 'they don't bother their b*****ks' anymore.
                          He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                            Over the weekend a gang of ten of us were in Cardiff. We had different viewpoints on most things but were as one on one particular subject. When it comes to certain matters Women just have no sense of humour. And here's just another example.
                            Ah no, she was just annoyed that I caught her! She has a grand sense of humour - the sort of woman who simply laughed it off when I was late for our wedding ...
                            Tis but a scratch.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Just a thank you to the Ladies in the ticket office in Kent station today who helped me out with a problem with my ticket today. If they hadn't sorted it for me then the purchase of a couscous salad in tescos would have cost me 62 yo-yos. Laugh of the day goes to the steward on the train who I was chatting to, we spotted Joe Duffy and Charlie Bird getting on the train and quick as a flash he said "ah that's grand, if anyone has a problem I can point them in their direction and tell them to talk to Joe".
                              "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X