Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!: Do you recoginse these 1967 Ireland players?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!: Do you recoginse these 1967 Ireland players?

I need to know who's who (of the Irish players) in this pic of Ireland in action v France (EDIT) in 1967. Can anyone help?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rugby Ireland-France 1967 T-14-17.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	2497448
    Last edited by rathbaner; 7th-February-2013, 13:43.
    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
    I need to know who's who (of the Irish players) in this pic of Ireland in action v England in 1967. Can anyone help?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5280[/ATTACH]
    Are you sure that's England, it looks like a French crest to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
      Are you sure that's England, it looks like a French crest to me.
      this photo file name is even "Rugby Ireland-France 1967 T-14-17.jpg"

Comment

Doesn't matter, it was the Irish players I was interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
          Doesn't matter, it was the Irish players I was interested in.

Actually, it does matter. According to the IRFU Website, in the England game , the props were P O'Callaghan and T A Moroney, against France S.MacHale and S.A Hutton propped.
          Ken Kennedy, Bill Mc Bride, Mick Molloy, Mick Doyle, Ken Goodall, and Noel Murphy played in both games.

EDIT: there's a photo archive that included this image of the Programme It's the Irish Photo archive website

Comment

From the back Noel (Noisey) Murphy,Ken Goodall, Willie John Mc Bride.

Comment

I think the no 3 is Sammy Hutton and we're looking at the back of Al Moroney's head at the front. However I don't think your picture is from the 1967 Ireland v England game. Definitely a French side,Isn't that the handsome Benoit Dauga second from the back on the French side,Here's a picture of the Irish team that played England.Note the different ref.
              http://irishphotoarchive.photoshelte...000HpPpN7.LUzs
              Last edited by Arthur Guinness; 6th-February-2013, 21:54.
              The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by yogibear View Post
                From the back Noel (Noisey) Murphy,Ken Goodall, Willie John Mc Bride.

From the front, Kennedy, McHale, Molloy, Hutton, McBride, Goodall, Murphy and Doyle as ever the tail gunner, the full 8.

Comment

Some things to note:
                  • "Willie John" Mc Bride was actually called "William James". In his early career, he was always called "Bill" until some Brit Journo decided to call him "Willie John" and the name stuck.
                  • Ken Goodall ( A Chemical Engineering student at the time of the match) played "Lock". He did not play "Number Eight" even though that was the number on his back.

Comment

Thanks to all the posters. I have the info I need. Very impressive knowledge base here. Thanks again

MODS may lock this if that is appropriate...

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                      Some things to note:
                      • "Willie John" Mc Bride was actually called "William James". In his early career, he was always called "Bill" until some Brit Journo decided to call him "Willie John" and the name stuck.
                      • Ken Goodall ( A Chemical Engineering student at the time of the match) played "Lock". He did not play "Number Eight" even though that was the number on his back.

Just to clarify, correct me if I am wrong, Molloy and McBride were the second-rows wearing 4 and 5, Goodall was the lock-forward or number 8, as we say now, wearing the jersey numbered 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                        Just to clarify, correct me if I am wrong, Molloy and McBride were the second-rows wearing 4 and 5, Goodall was the lock-forward or number 8, as we say now, wearing the jersey numbered 8.
                        Correct and right. A number of years ago, a Man, Kavanagh, I think, was his name, died. The TV reports said that he had played "Number Eight" for Ireland, in the sixties. No-one played "Number Eight" for Ireland in the sixties. As the screen-grab of the Programme above showed, the position was known as "Lock" or "Lock Forward", because he "Locked" the scrum.

Comment

Working...
                        X