Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official MRSC LONDON BRANCH

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    If you are just worried about being on the Piccadilly tube line, Chiswick and Hammersmith are lovely places...

    but London is incredibly easy to get around... While I was there I was in Richmond, Kingston Upon Thames and Vauxhall...
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

    Comment


      Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
      Probable new member: There's a strong possibility I'm taking a job in Knightsbridge, plan on flying back to Dublin most weekends. Would anyone know of a convenient (i.e. on bus/rail route), safe but cheapish place to live somewhere in between Knightsbridge & Heathrow? Sorry I've only been to London once so have extremely limited knowledge! Thanks in advance for any help.
      Ealing is about halfway between the two. Easy to get to both the airport and into central London. Good rugby club if you find yourself around at the weekends and full of Irish.

      Comment


        Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
        Probable new member: There's a strong possibility I'm taking a job in Knightsbridge, plan on flying back to Dublin most weekends. Would anyone know of a convenient (i.e. on bus/rail route), safe but cheapish place to live somewhere in between Knightsbridge & Heathrow? Sorry I've only been to London once so have extremely limited knowledge! Thanks in advance for any help.
        Ealing Broadway/Ealing Common. District/Piccadilly into Knightsbridge, and both the Piccadilly connection to Heathrow and the Heathrow Connect service from Ealing Broadway.

        Both grand as neighbourhoods without being as brutally expensive as a lot of West London. Plenty of Irish in both too, which can help when you're finding your feet.

        Though if you were flying Friday evenings after work you may end up finding it less painful on the Heathrow Express out of Paddington since you'll be in town anyway. That's 15 minutes (though a pricier connection).

        Acton similar, but the commute into Knightsbridge would have a lot more chopping and changing.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

        "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


        "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

        Comment


          Exactly the kind of hints I was looking for, thanks a lot ILK, Lad & Balla. Yea I had a brief look at a few places for renting....I thought Dublin landlords knew how to charge!

          Comment


            Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
            If you are just worried about being on the Piccadilly tube line, Chiswick and Hammersmith are lovely places...

            but London is incredibly easy to get around... While I was there I was in Richmond, Kingston Upon Thames and Vauxhall...
            Chiswick's lovely. Comes at a price though. Cheaper to live in Acton and tell people you live in Chiswick. Like everyone else that lives in Acton :-)
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

            "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


            "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

            Comment


              Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
              Exactly the kind of hints I was looking for, thanks a lot ILK, Lad & Balla. Yea I had a brief look at a few places for renting....I thought Dublin landlords knew how to charge!
              Have a look at spareroom.co.uk - you'll find it very expensive renting on your own wherever you go, but can get a good room in some fairly nice houses if you're sharing.

              In fact, if it's not rushing you too much, one of the London MRSC types mentioned on Facebook the other day about having a room going somewhere Islington/Camden way in mid January. You'll honestly not notice the differences in journey - the important thing is being walking distance to the tube, then you can get anywhere.

              Drop me a PM and I can introduce you if you'd like. I'll only charge a small arrangers fee. To both of you. Annually. :D
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

              "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


              "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

              Comment


                Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                Have a look at spareroom.co.uk - you'll find it very expensive renting on your own wherever you go, but can get a good room in some fairly nice houses if you're sharing.

                In fact, if it's not rushing you too much, one of the London MRSC types mentioned on Facebook the other day about having a room going somewhere Islington/Camden way in mid January. You'll honestly not notice the differences in journey - the important thing is being walking distance to the tube, then you can get anywhere.

                Drop me a PM and I can introduce you if you'd like. I'll only charge a small arrangers fee. To both of you. Annually. :D
                That sounds great, I'll give you a shout if I take the job. Currently in negotiations so just wanted to factor in an estimate of my Mon-Fri costs of living in London. Thanks a lot for that

                Comment


                  Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
                  That sounds great, I'll give you a shout if I take the job. Currently in negotiations so just wanted to factor in an estimate of my Mon-Fri costs of living in London. Thanks a lot for that

                  Definitely have a look at spareroom for benchmarks then. You'll need your room rate, council tax (this varies by borough) and bills. Have a look at TfL for weekly Oyster card prices as well for the relevant zone.

                  Once you've allowed for that, you wouldn't see much difference I'd say between London and Dublin in day to day living costs. Food, drink, entertainment etc pretty much similar. If anything, I always found Dublin quite pricey when I travelled back from London.
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

                  "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


                  "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
                    Probable new member: There's a strong possibility I'm taking a job in Knightsbridge, plan on flying back to Dublin most weekends. Would anyone know of a convenient (i.e. on bus/rail route), safe but cheapish place to live somewhere in between Knightsbridge & Heathrow? Sorry I've only been to London once so have extremely limited knowledge! Thanks in advance for any help.
                    Brentford is way cheaper than Chiswick and a bit cheaper than Ealing. If you stay north of the M4 flyover you're handy for South Ealing on the Piccadilly line. This will take you to Heathrow in 20 minutes and the west end in about the same. Although not at the moment as it's fupped. It's zone 3so travel is slightly cheaper than going further west. Of course the further west the cheaper the accommodation. But Hounslow is a hole so I wouldn't go near it if I was you!
                    english by birth

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                      Chiswick's lovely. Comes at a price though. Cheaper to live in Acton and tell people you live in Chiswick. Like everyone else that lives in Acton :-)
                      Cheaper still to live in Brentford and tell everyone that you live in North Kew. Or indeed Far Kew!
                      english by birth

                      Comment


                        Is it the usual haunts for watching the Racing game on Saturday?
                        Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2021.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                          Is it the usual haunts for watching the Racing game on Saturday?
                          I'm moving over next month, where are these usual haunts? Cheers

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                            Is it the usual haunts for watching the Racing game on Saturday?
                            Indeed it is: The Temple Bar (1 Milford Lane, Aldwych, London, WC2R 3LL) is our main meeting point in Central London. We've had some big crowds this season and expect a good turnout for the next few games, given their importance. A bigger contingent Paris bound than for the original game this Saturday it looks like too!

                            Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
                            I'm moving over next month, where are these usual haunts? Cheers
                            You can sign up for our newsletter here and keep in touch with all things Munster from an exile perspective :
                            http://mrsc.us11.list-manage2.com/su...&id=7c954f121c

                            Comment


                              Thanks for that, signed up there

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
                                I'm moving over next month, where are these usual haunts? Cheers
                                If you are anywhere near North London, The Sheephaven Bay in Mornington Crescent (Camden) is a great spot. Always a few Munster fans about for a game.

                                Good food there as well.
                                Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X