This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
    Unless your plane is delayed you'll easily make it. I reckon you'll get there for about 12.30 or so.
    Id agree to jump in a cab Liverpool Steet to Waterloo given the tubes you need to Waterloo look shut (should be 10 to 15 minutes transfer unless they are diverting all traffice off Thames Street lower and over Southwark Bridge(they have been doing this about 4 of the last 6 weekends) in which case it may be longer...pop up your question the week of the game and we'll know...

It takes about 15 minutes to walk from the flight, to the train in Stansted, and thats power walking when you know where your going. (NB keep your boarding card so you can skip the immigration gates,there will be people taking them over on a passage to the left as you enter the immigration area.)Trains are about 50 minutes,and run every 15 minutes. I usually find it takes me 90minutes from exiting the plane to being in Liverpool Street.

From Liverpool Street, Id think its easily an hour+ out to the Stoop too, and again thats allowing for knowing what your doing. You can easily have slippage for traffic/buying your ticket/waiting for correct train etc...and when you get off the train, you still have a decent walk ahead. I think it would take me 3 hours, taking the trains, from plane to the Stoop, and thats knowing the route very well.

The underground out to Richmond is quite easy to do from Liverpool Street too, and you can avoid the need for the cab. Your 1hr 15 sounds about spot on thou- things run way worse over here on the weekends-less trains/tubes, and lots of closures...
    Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Originally posted by LLCOOLJ14 View Post

From Liverpool Street, Id think its easily an hour+ out to the Stoop too, and again thats allowing for knowing what your doing. You can easily have slippage for traffic/buying your ticket/waiting for correct train etc...and when you get off the train, you still have a decent walk ahead. I think it would take me 3 hours, taking the trains, from plane to the Stoop, and thats knowing the route very well.

The underground out to Richmond is quite easy to do from Liverpool Street too, and you can avoid the need for the cab. Your 1hr 15 sounds about spot on thou- things run way worse over here on the weekends-less trains/tubes, and lots of closures...
      Fair point about the time - if you know your way around it does make a big difference.

There are also engineering works that weekend on the District line, but I'm not sure if the Richmond part is still open (I *think* it is).

The problem with going to Richmond is that you are still a mile an an half from the Stoop. So you either need to get a bus / taxi / walk from there.

If it were me I'd head to Waterloo and follow the crowd.
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Cool, cheers for all the info guys, I might check back the week of the game and see the lay of the land. I've travelled from Stansted in to Liverpool St. before plenty of times, I'm travelling light (toothbrush in the back pocket!) and on my own, but I've never been out to Twickenham before.
        Marty in the Morning

Comment

If you are getting the tube or train to Twickenham and don't have a lot of time, it is worth getting an Oyster card in advance if you want to save time faffing around buying tickets. (If you don't, I guarantee that all the ticket machines will be broken and there will be a dozen non-English speaking Japanese students at the only manned ticket booth, all wanting to buy a return to Scotland via Cornwall)

You can order a PAYG Oyster card from here: https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do

You can use PAYG on tube and train to Twickenham, but not train from Stanstead.

Weekend is off-peak & single Zone 1 journey on tube is £2.10 and single to Twickenham is £2.90 so you can charge the card in advance with some money.

Fares are here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

Comment

If you can pick up some buddies at the airport, I'd seriously suggest a taxi. I'd estimate a taxi would cost £70 from Stansted to Twickenham - so a fortune - but it'll cost about £30 (return) per person on the train (and nearly £40 if your return journey is the next day). So if you can hook up with 3-4 others in both directions, it might be a lot more painless and possibly a little cheaper. Maybe take a placard?!

I just looked at the journey planner for you - one option, which sounds quite clever to me, is to get the train from Stansted to Tottenham Hale, then jump on the Victoria Line (an easy change, and the Victoria line is v quick) down to Vauxhall, then onto a train to Twickenham

Comment

Listen to Eoghan travellers to London, his knowledge is shrewd. The Victoria line is quicker and less likely to stuff up than the Northern line.

Comment

Hi there london based MFs. I'm arriving into Gatwick at 09:05 am on Sunday. Anyone know if the trains to Twickenham are direct or do I have to change somewhere? I'd prefer not to have to go to Victoria on the Gatwick Express that is, unless it is faster. I'll be trying to get to Twickenham by 11:00 am to hook up with friends.
                If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

Comment

No direct trains.

Get the Southern train to Clapham Junction, change there for a South West train to Twickenham.

If you have an Android phone, its well worth downloading the National Rail app. Its free. The Apple one isn't. Both will give you platform numbers, which is useful in Clapham J because there are a lot of them ....
                  Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan View Post
                    If you can pick up some buddies at the airport, I'd seriously suggest a taxi. I'd estimate a taxi would cost £70 from Stansted to Twickenham - so a fortune - but it'll cost about £30 (return) per person on the train (and nearly £40 if your return journey is the next day). So if you can hook up with 3-4 others in both directions, it might be a lot more painless and possibly a little cheaper. Maybe take a placard?!

I just looked at the journey planner for you - one option, which sounds quite clever to me, is to get the train from Stansted to Tottenham Hale, then jump on the Victoria Line (an easy change, and the Victoria line is v quick) down to Vauxhall, then onto a train to Twickenham
                    have this booked one way for 3 of us back to stansted after the game for £67,http://www.hummingbirdcars.co.uk/
                    To Dare Is To Do!!

Comment

Is there any planned get-together for Munster folk on Saturday assuming there's a few folks planning on going to the Ulster game?

Or perhaps Saturday night in and around the Twickenham / Richmond area?

Comment

Originally posted by Hakaman View Post
                        Is there any planned get-together for Munster folk on Saturday assuming there's a few folks planning on going to the Ulster game?

Or perhaps Saturday night in and around the Twickenham / Richmond area?
                        MRSC with our London branch have the below happening.

Ulster game and QA in Morans Hotel. http://www.mrsc.ie/News_Detail.aspx?rowid=69669

Comment

Nice one, thanks Dumptruck! :smile2:

Comment

Originally posted by Hakaman View Post
                            Nice one, thanks Dumptruck! :smile2:
                            Always Welcome Sir.

Comment

Is there any venue planned closer to twickenham stadium for the saturday? I reckon a lot of fans will be going to the Ulster game also. The hotel in Chiswick seems a little removed from where all the craic will be. Think around Richmond or Twickenham town would be a better atmosphere.

I'm thinking the Garryowen sports bar on Saturday or even go to the Cabbage Patch again on the Saturday. Just like Edinburgh, it would be great to have one venue for the weekend that we make our own.

Any good ideas would be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Our day will come again View Post
                                Is there any venue planned closer to twickenham stadium for the saturday? I reckon a lot of fans will be going to the Ulster game also. The hotel in Chiswick seems a little removed from where all the craic will be. Think around Richmond or Twickenham town would be a better atmosphere.

I'm thinking the Garryowen sports bar on Saturday or even go to the Cabbage Patch again on the Saturday. Just like Edinburgh, it would be great to have one venue for the weekend that we make our own.

Any good ideas would be welcome.
                                Nope, the main event for MRSC on Saturday is the QA following the Ulster game in Morans hotel in Chiswick. The idea is to get people in watch the Ulster game and then have the QA with Rob Penney etc. Of course there is nothing stopping people doing there own thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X