Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ospreys Jan19 (advice needed)

Hi All,

3 of us are visiting for the game in January. We are looking for advice on good pubs, pre-game hot spots and also hospitality.

Cheers
    Craig

Am sure those on the ground will provide useful advice, but on behalf of the rest is us, we come to the site, and hope it’s a great trip for those travelling. We cherish the atmosphere at Thomond, we believe it’s special- it’s not just ours, it belongs to rugby. Look forward to visiting in a few weeks.

Comment

We should really have a sticky thread for this, as it's a question that visiting supporters ask from time to time (did we not used to have one before?).

Ok, I'll throw in an initial few suggestions - feel free to add more and I'll make it a sticky for future reference. Plenty of bars at the stadium itself, but I'll focus on places outside the ground.

On the Thomond Park side of the river ...
      Fitzgeralds - just a few hundred yards from Thomond Park. Terrible, terrible "music" post game.
      JJ Bowles - not much more than five minutes' brisk walk from the ground. The stout is good, but the range of beers is pretty run of the mill. Occasional free snacks do the rounds!
      The Curragower - popular place, good for grub with an interesting menu (although can be pricey), reasonable range of beer.
      The Strand Hotel - big shiny place, all glass and glossy surfaces, can be good for spotting a few former Munster players and has a couple of decent beers on tap, but ultimately it's a posh hotel rather than a pub.

On the city side of the river ...
      The Pier Hotel - directly opposite the Strand Hotel but a lot smaller. Nice enough for food, but the bar isn't my cup of tea - doesn't seem like a go-to place for rugby supporters post-match even though it's one of the handiest city centre venues to the ground (open to correction on that!)
      The Red Hen - some decent beers on tap, a bit "trendy" but a good pub nonetheless. Haven't eaten there so can't comment on the food. Refused me entry once, so they have standards.
      Mother Mac's - again, a range of local/craft beer on tap, nice cosy spot which will probably be rammed on a big match night (like everywhere else!)
      Tom Collins - another popular city centre pub, generally standing room only by the time you get there after a game
      Limerick City Hotel - even though it's another hotel bar, I've had a few really good nights in here. Has decent grub and local beers on tap, sometimes some great live music.
      Dolans on Dock Road - my personal favourite, a great place for pints, grub, multiple live music venues under one roof. A long-ish walk from the stadium but not too bad. Or just wait for the post-match traffic to calm down (this can easily take an hour) and get a taxi.

This is far from an exhaustive list and there are plenty of places to recommend, but I'll let others who are more regular visitors mention those.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Myles Breens across from the George Hotel is a decent pub. JJ Bowles is a good spot. Had Black pudding as beer snacks after a game.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigOspreys View Post
          Hi All,

3 of us are visiting for the game in January. We are looking for advice on good pubs, pre-game hot spots and also hospitality.

Cheers
          Craig
          Hi Craig. Glad to hear ye have decided to choose to come to Limerick for a game. I am sure ye will have a cracking time

There is a huge selection of good pubs for ye to choose between anyway as outlined in an above post and the city is always hopping after big matches

There is always a good buzz around the stadium prior to kick off as well and good craic in the Shannon RFC clubhouse which is just behind the West stand.

For accommodation would ye be looking for a hotel or more like a bnb. I would check on airbnb if that was the case and see what pops up. I would also get booking accommodation soon as Limerick is a relatively small city and dosent have a huge amount of accommodation. Accommodation can also be fairly high in demand whenever the European cup rolls in to town so dont leave it too late.

Would you have any advice for us travelling to Swansea in a few weeks time. Already have accommodation booked. Just wondering about where to go before and after the game. Thanks very much in advance

Comment

Working...
          X