Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newstalk-national my hoop

Just heard an old Newstalk podcast and Eoin McDevitt openly
    questioned Munster players commitment to the green jersey.
    He claimed they try harder for Munster than they do for Ireland and
    made reference to the Australia match of 16 months ago as evidence
    of this.
    Hook and McDevitt were also lamenting the fact that he would have
    to deal with pro Munster texts whenever they said anything anit
    Munster when "they went national".
    I've always been a bit suspect about their "national station" claim.
    The rugby analysis is stupidly pro Leinster the Dubs and to a lesser
    extent Ulster andHooks show just seems to consist of him getting his
    buddies from south county Dublin to come on for a chat on a range of
    topics, the main one seemingly how long it takes to get home in
    Dublin of an evening.

I know a station can only favour it's core listnership but why bother
    with the "national" claim?

Have a tall, cool and frothy beer, you'll soon feel better!

Comment

you should have listened to their coverage of the leinster quarterfinal in the HEC last yr. At that stage they'd announced they were going national, and it was a day when dublin was full of munster folks interested in rugby.

Suffice to say the snide comments about munster that were thrown in during that commentary & immediately post-match were enough to convince me that newstalk were 100% dub and make me highly skeptical of their chances of gaining any sort of audience outside dublin... particularly for sporting fans from other areas of the country.

I'll listen to them if they're the only option available for commentary, but only then.
      Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Originally posted by lahinch_lass

you should have listened to their coverage of the leinster quarterfinal in the HEC last yr. At that stage they'd announced they were going national, and it was a day when dublin was full of munster folks interested in rugby.

Suffice to say the snide comments about munster that were thrown in during that commentary & immediately post-match were enough to convince me that newstalk were 100% dub and make me highly skeptical of their chances of gaining any sort of audience outside dublin... particularly for sporting fans from other areas of the country.

I'll listen to them if they're the only option available for commentary, but only then.

They were playing the commentary of that match in full when I was driving up for the new year's match in Galway.

My favourite bit was just after Leinster scored it went along the lines of this

Commentator 1 (I think it was Mick Quinn):Conteponi must be the greatest outhalf in the world

Commentator 2: Well there is that guy in New Zealand.

1: Who?

2: I can't remember. Doesn't matter Conteponi is the greatest.

Made all the funnier by events in Lansdowne a few weeks later[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

I remember those comments LL, they definitely had a big Leinster sway from being a dublin station. But since theyve gone national i think they do really good national sports coverage. There is a few diehard leinster and munster fans in the sports teams and i think it shows a good cross section of young irish sportsfans, in all sports.

Im biased though i used to listen online in sligo before they went national i have a few friends who work there

Comment

That's how they get their advertisers, cover the niche matches like Leinster rugby, Dublin football etc. and they can claim their audience matches the demographics associated with the games.

Makes them more money that it loses i'd say.
            Hibernicis natione, Mumhan per gratiam Dei

Comment

Eh neil in fairness as leinsterfans how could you not get caught up in it all in Toulouse, it was an unbeliveable performnce, probably one on the greatest in HEC history.

LL as has been pointed out to you before it was a Dublin radio station at the time, why should it not have bias towards a Dublin team?

Comment

Originally posted by epaddy
                Eh neil in fairness as leinsterfans how could you not get caught up in it all in Toulouse, it was an unbeliveable performnce, probably one on the greatest in HEC history.

Yes I realise that ep but they managed to take it to level beyond even that of Ryle. Personally I think the total lack of perspective from a QF win was a factor in their hammering in the semi. Surely you're picking up the irony in it though. Dan who?????

LL as has been pointed out to you before it was a Dublin radio station at the time, why should it not have bias towards a Dublin team?

Comment

Eh neil in fairness as leinsterfans how could you not get caught up in it all in Toulouse, @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">it was an unbeliveable performnce, probably one on the greatest in HEC history.@@@@/SPAN>

Nay, the greatest performance in the history of rugby union. Possibly more heroic than the Spartans stand at Thermopylae.

Comment

I agree they are biased most of the time but that dosent stop me enjoying their coverage. Mick Quinn in particular is a jokeshop. Absolutely hilarious. Despite this Off The Ball is the best radio show bar none for sportsfans.

My computer thinks I'm gay
                    What's the difference anyway
                    When all the people do all day
                    Is stare into a phone

Comment

<DIV>We've had this "debate" before. Their rugby coverage and analysis is first rate. If you don't like it then don't f**king listen and tune into all those gobs**tes that phone into Des Cahill complaining about the lack of umpires calling square balls in the 6N. The ladies have a bee in their oh so pretty little bonnets about Newstalk not giving them oral pleasaure as they feel that Newstalk should be paying more attention to a Dublin club that some bunch of boggers outside The Pale. Now we have a couple of "oh won't somebody think of the children" Joe Duffy regulars getting a strop about something that happened nearly a year ago.</DIV>
                      <DIV></DIV>
                      <DIV>As Denis would say on Radio J, "Move on!".</DIV>
                      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born
                        <DIV>We've had this "debate" before. Their rugby coverage and analysis is first rate. If you don't like it then don't f**king listen and tune into all those gobs**tes that phone into Des Cahill complaining about the lack of umpires calling square balls in the 6N. The ladies have a bee in their oh so pretty little bonnets about Newstalk not giving them oral pleasaure as they feel that Newstalk should be paying more attention to a Dublin club that some bunch of boggers outside The Pale. Now we have a couple of "oh won't somebody think of the children" Joe Duffy regulars getting a strop about something that happened nearly a year ago.</DIV>
                        <DIV></DIV>
                        <DIV>As Denis would say on Radio J, "Move on!".</DIV>

Works for me.
                        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

and if you read my message properly I wasn't complaining about their dublin/leinster bias. I was complaining about their snide remarks about munster. They could sing the praises of leinster all they want as far as i was concerned, it was the nasty narky s**te they spouted about munster that was offensive. Particularly given they had announced they were going national, and on that particular day there were quite a few munster supporters potentially listening to their station. Not the best way to build a potential audience in my view.

Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Working...
                          X