Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hotpress launches Out a Tout Campaign...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotpress launches Out a Tout Campaign...

Well done to HP!

http://www.hotpress.com/news/2906391.html

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width=478 align=center>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD vAlign=center align=left width=478 colSpan=2 height=75>
    <DIV =newArticleTitle>Hot Press Launches 'OUT A TOUT' Campaign as Ticket Touting Crisis Escalates (Free Content)</DIV></TD></TR>
    <TR height=2>
    <TD width="100%" bgColor=#333333></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD>@@@@SPAN =articleDate>26 Jan 2007@@@@/SPAN> </TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=478 align=center>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD width=10></TD>
    <TD width=468> </IMG>@@@@SPAN =bloodred_intro>Ireland's ticket touting crisis has escalated into open battle, with all of the major promoters and Ticketmaster taking a firmer line than ever before on the practice. The new issue of HOTPRESS, (published Thursday 25th January), has launched the nationwide HOTPRESS Out A Tout campaign, which aims to help stamp out this scandalous behaviour…@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN =ordinaryfont ALIGN="JUSTIFY">

The latest wave of touting controversy was sparked when tickets for The Arcade Fire’s Olympia Theatre shows sold out within 10 minutes, and then showed up on ebay 10 minutes later for €250. 48 hours later that figure had risen to €350!

Following a series of calls from HOTPRESS, Ticketmaster – in what marks a new phase in the anti-touting battle – have now cancelled a number of tickets that were being offered for sale on eBay, and which were traced to an identifiable individual.

According to HOTPRESS deputy editor Stuart Clark: “It’s the real fans who are suffering when tickets are soaked up by those who have no intention of going to the show themselves and are only interested in making a quick profit. There’s a real need for legislation to stamp out touting for good.”

In a statement issued to HOTPRESS, concert promoter MCD urges the Government to act on closing down online touts and point an accusing finger at “media outlets who carry advertisements on behalf of ticket touts.” In addition, MCD are actively imposing a lifetime ban on all touts purchasing tickets for their events.

Also lashing out at touts is Aiken Promotions’ Peter Aiken who proffers: “…these professional American-style ‘brokers’ could be shut down overnight. The same goes for the guys you see selling tickets outside venues, ours included.”

The problem isn’t confined to music, with the Irish Rugby Football Union last week expelling a club member who attempted to sell two tickets for the Ireland v France game at Croke Park on eBay for €1,000. Needaticket.net are offering tickets for the same fixture for between €220 (Terrace) and €700 (Premium).
    Click Here for Full Investigation
    Click Here for Outed Tout No. 1 - NeedATicket.Net
    Click Here Hot Press Readers View

HOTPRESS is encouraging the real fans of music and sport to let us know who is ripping you off! Contact us on outatout@hotpress.ie or call (01) 241 1500 to tip u
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

I hope that the TD's in the Dail get the hint and start doing something about this. I will be voicing my concerns with the lads when they are canvassing my door.
    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

good to see someone other than Munsterfans finally getting in on the
      act of hounding the touts and attempting to put them out of
      business. [img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]
      As for the government banning touts, i can't see what has prevented
      them from introducing any anti blackmarket legislation. Surely there
      must be some law still in existence from the time of the 'emergency'.
      “People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him.” - Art Buchwald

Comment

So, if a registered charity auctions 2 tickets to Croke Park for a rugby game is that touting?

Discuss, preferably quoting how, underthe conditions of sale, such a practice is permitted.

(Purely a personal opinion, but I'd far rather see drug pushers being chased by the Garda than ticket touts. Drugs kill, but sports events and pop concerts merely make one thirsty.)

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

I went online yesterday just to check what date a concert I'm going to is on. I found my way to www.needaticket.ie (mentioned above). I couldn't believe it!! Selling on ebay I think is bad enough but it's a whole new level when it's an actual online business. Ireland V France €700, some concerts that sold out really fast are up to 3 times the original price!

Comment

As bad as the "Touts" are, at least they're up front about it. They have the brass neck to stand outside on match days and you know what you're getting and who you're getting it from!

This new breed of "e-bay" sellers are the ones I take umbridge with. So-called fans who buy more than they need and make a killing on the surplus tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by jmccoy
              I hope that the TD's in the Dail get the hint and start doing something about this. I will be voicing my concerns with the lads when they are canvassing my door.
              [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

This is one of the craziest posts I've ever seen on this here website

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMonty

Why is it ? The government could easily implement legislation which could ban these types of businesses from operating in Ireland. Also the legislation could give power to the Gardai to seize tickets off and arrest and charge those scumbag touts hanging around outside every popular event in this country.
                "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

I dont think anything will be done about this. This is just bull crap from promoters. What possible interest could they have in stopping touting? It ensures that all their tickets get sold. This is just a PR stunt to make it sound like they give a crap about anordinary punter. We do not even register on their radar asbeing alivenever mind anything that upsetsus [img]smileys/smiley37.gif[/img]

This has been happening for a very long long time and the answer they always give is "Well if people did not buy from them they would not exist". It was supposedly madeofficially bon fida illegal, as in against the law, by legislation a few years back but their was zero change on the ground.

Load of crap.

Comment

You've not been here very long then?
                    The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

OD, In the US, touts or scalpers as they are known are often affiliated
                      to organised crime. What's to say the same isn't the case here. If you
                      want to fight organised crime you do it at all levels. Blackmarketeering
                      is a criminal enterprise. Selling something by auction for charity is an
                      entirely different kettle of fish.
                      “People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him.” - Art Buchwald

Comment

Originally posted by James Lynch

Selling something by auction for charity is an entirely different kettle of fish.

No it isn't, unless the conditions of sale include a provision for resale at a higher price for charitable purposes.
                        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

what's to say it is? Professionalt touts might be scumbag tossers but I doubt if Paul Williams will be doing afeature on any of them any time soon.[img]smileys/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                          \"This year is different because this year they won\'t beat snow off a rope. They\'ll revert back to type and get 6 shades of s**t bate out of them in the group stages of the HEC ...\" Tobyglen 21 Sept 2010

Comment

Why is it ? The government could easily implement legislation which could ban these types of businesses from operating in Ireland. Also the legislation could give power to the Gardai to seize tickets off and arrest and charge those scumbag touts hanging around outside every popular event in this country.

Where would it be on your list of priorities when politicians call to the door?

Comment

Originally posted by Combatlogo

what's to say it is? Professionalt touts might be scumbag tossers but I doubt if Paul Williams will be doing afeature on any of them any time soon.[img]smileys/rolleyes.gif[/img]

It is, FACT. If it weren't a criminal gang or RA heads or orgaised crime, I would kick the s**t out ofevery tout I metand take their tickets and money

..........and obviously distribute the tickets among fans and the money to charity.

Comment

Working...
                              X