Ili Tabua named Fiji rugby coach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ili Tabua named Fiji rugby coach

SUVA, Fiji: Former Wallaby flanker Ilivasi Tabua was named Fiji rugby coach Wednesday, replacing New Zealander Wayne Pivac who quit last week citing family commitments.

"I think Fiji's in a strong position and I believe it doesn't matter who's head coach," Tabua said.

"The important this is that things are in place on the ground, particularly in terms of the High Performance Unit and the way we are now looking after our players."

Tabua, 42, played tests for both Australia and Fiji, attending the 1995 World Cup in South Africa with the Wallabies and the 1999 Cup in Britain with the Fijian side.

He played for Queensland and the Queensland Reds and later in South Africa

He has extensive coaching experience in Australia, New Zealand and Japan, both in sevens and 15-a-side rugby.

He worked as a video analyst for the All Blacks in 2000 and more recently has been head coach of the Fiji High Performance Unit and co-coach of the Fijian national team.

Tabua, who was known as the "human skewer" during his playing days because of his crash-tackling style, is an advocate of open rugby.

"Rugby's a running game and that's what were good at so obviously I'm going to be working on improving this aspect particularly," he said.

Fiji High Performance general manager Peter Murphy said Tabua's appointment was an important move for Fiji Rugby.

"Tabua's got a hard work ethic and the fact that he's played at such a high level ... makes him the perfect choice," he said.<!- paginati&#111;n -><!- /paginati&#111;n -><!- ISI_LISTEN_STOP -><!- /copy -><!- bottom banner ad -><!- No ad for sports_banner_article -><!- /bottom banner ad -><!- / text ->
    If you even dream of beating me you\'d better wake up and apologize.
    Muhammad Ali
Working...
X