Will Greenwood in the Telegraph

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post

Laws state ball must be along line of touch but you cant strictly go by that as its impossible to to do that as virtually every ball would be called not straight.
    This is what I've been referring to all along. Do you not think that if touch judges or refs starting calling balls as not straight that it would soon filter down the coaches that the hooker HAS to throw it straight.

It's not like they can't - they throw crooked because the refs let them.

Same for feeding the second row, same for sealing etc etc.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
      Settle down, mush. Try and stay civil. As a Ref, you know very well what happens to someone who retaliates, no matter how bad the provocation is.
      Oh go away pk.

Are you saying that it is impossible to throw a ball in a straight line in a given direction? If so, I beg to differ. Newton's Laws of motion would agree with me.
      So are you saying we must rigidly stick to that? And if the ball doesnt go directly along the line of touch it is sanctioned? If so then should we not be consistent in everything else and as strict in other areas of the game? If we do we are increasing by a huge percentage the number of free kicks/penalties awarded and that doesnt help the sport/game.

You should make your own decision, not try to second guess the Ref. Give him/her the opportunity to agree with you or overrule you.
      That isnt second guessing anyone. Unless completely blatant play on and no need to pull it up. You just frustrate coaches, players unnecessarily otherwise and no-one needs that

Comment

Oh go away pk.
        You're not on the Pitch now, Mush. That approach won't work here.

So are you saying we must rigidly stick to that?
        Yes, the Laws must be applied consistently.

And if the ball doesnt go directly along the line of touch it is sanctioned?
        Not Sanctioned necessarily, as you stated above, a quiet word at the next break in play the first time it happens, followed by an escalation if it is repeated.

If so then should we not be consistent in everything else and as strict in other areas of the game?
        Of course you should.

If we do we are increasing by a huge percentage the number of free kicks/penalties awarded and that doesnt help the sport/game. That isnt second guessing anyone. Unless completely blatant play on and no need to pull it up. You just frustrate coaches, players unnecessarily otherwise and no-one needs that.
        No as you stated above and as I agreed with you, you only award penalties when the unacceptable behaviour is repeated.
        If the coaches and players notice that you are pointing out certain behaviour that is contrary to the Laws and are willing to take action on such illegal behaviour, they will stop misbehaving. There will, therefore be no further need to "pull it up"

OL, I was in Templehill today, as posted elsewhere. The first two Lineouts were pulled for crooked in. One for each team.
        Just before halftime, a third was pulled.
        There were no more crooked throws in the game.

The hookers were pulled and they modified their behaviour.

In the first ten minutes or so, there was a bit of whinging from the players. The Ref called both Captains over and "had a word". The lip was greatly reduced afterwards.

Comment

Working...
        X