Will Greenwood in the Telegraph

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Greenwood in the Telegraph

I'm putting up the full article 'cos it's behind a paywall. If you sign up, you get one Premium Article a week.

How players are fine-tuning rugby's 'streetwise dark arts' to fox the referee and gain a crucial edge.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-un...s-fox-referee/
    Last edited by Piquet; 6th-April-2018, 18:02.

All very well and good, but generally these are outline issues. Core issues I'd like to see fixed are the scrum hit (still a mess) feeding into the second row at scrums and straight lineouts.

The latter two drive me up the wall.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

What about forward passes?

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
        All very well and good, but generally these are outline issues. Core issues I'd like to see fixed are the scrum hit (still a mess) feeding into the second row at scrums and straight lineouts.

The latter two drive me up the wall.
        What do you want to change on the scrum in terms of the hit?
        On straight lineouts. If opposition doesnt challenge then its a waste of time to call a team up on it and if they do challenge all depends on how crooked the throw is whether you pull it or not

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
          What do you want to change on the scrum in terms of the hit?
          On straight lineouts. If opposition doesnt challenge then its a waste of time to call a team up on it and if they do challenge all depends on how crooked the throw is whether you pull it or not
          Maybe the opposition doesn't challenge because previous crooked throws have not been pulled.

A throw is either straight or crooked.

Comment

It a throw to the line out is crooked, it usually will be caught by the throwing team, the one that has comitted the offense.

How does advantage work in that case?

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
              It a throw to the line out is crooked, it usually will be caught by the throwing team, the one that has comitted the offense.

How does advantage work in that case?
              All depends on how crooked the ball is. The laws state ball must ball must be straight along the mark of touch but how many actually go right down line of touch. Many dont.

Comment

Indeed they don't.

But I'm intrigued, how is an advantage given to the team that has offended as you described above?

Comment

Indeed they don't.

But I'm intrigued, how is an advantage given to the team that has offended as you described above?
                  Sorry i looking at something else and mixing the two.
                  Simply you sometimes just ignore it and play on. continuity...

Comment

Ah all must be sacrificed at the Altar of Continuity.

Comment

Ah all must be sacrificed at the Altar of Continuity.
                      Not at all but we dont need to have countless set pieces everytime there is an infringement either. nothing worse than the ref who doesnt allow any flow/pulls most infringements when you can play on.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                        nothing worse than the ref who doesnt allow any flow/pulls most infringements when you can play on.
                        Unless, perhaps it's the Ref who pulls nothing and allows the game to degenerate into anarchy.

If players see they're getting away with stuff, they'll continue doing stuff.

If they are pulled the first couple of times, they'll stop.

Comment

Unless, perhaps it's the Ref who pulls nothing and allows the game to degenerate into anarchy.

If players see they're getting away with stuff, they'll continue doing stuff.

If they are pulled the first couple of times, they'll stop.
                          All depends on the situation as it arises. You have to look at the team who will be getting the penalty as well. You dont have to give a penalty to change players behaviour/warn them of the need for a beahviour change.

Comment

Correct. Wasn't there something about feeding the second rows last year? I seem to remember it was policed qute well for a while. It's gone back to being a shambles now.

On the lineouts, the throw of choice seems to be a curved one that starts slightly toward the opposition, hits the middle for a bit and then arches toward the receiving team. I'd say 90% of mid to back of the lineouts throws go that way.

In the scrum, it's better than it was, but the inconsistent reffing would drive you to despair. It's a complete lottery at times.
                            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                              Correct. Wasn't there something about feeding the second rows last year? I seem to remember it was policed qute well for a while. It's gone back to being a shambles now.

On the lineouts, the throw of choice seems to be a curved one that starts slightly toward the opposition, hits the middle for a bit and then arches toward the receiving team. I'd say 90% of mid to back of the lineouts throws go that way.

In the scrum, it's better than it was, but the inconsistent reffing would drive you to despair. It's a complete lottery at times.
                              The scrum feed is down the middle but scrum half can be a shoulder width to their side. Its not a shambles. How much do you want penalised?
                              A lot of lineouts can go that way but do you penalise them all? Or just let some go and penalise the very clearly obvious crooked throws otherwise if like in the scrum if you penalise all crooked throws then you just end up with far too many penalties/free kicks and nobody neither players, coaches or fans want that.

Comment

Working...
                              X