Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctor calls for ban on Under 18s playing rugby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    Have to admit I'm sceptical. Rugby has had a massive under age player base for decades. If the risks are as claimed , the epidemiology should be cut and dried.
    Double-posting here but the risks in rugby have increased drastically in recent decades, particularly the last decade. There's no real comparison to rugby 20 or 30 years ago in terms of the head impacts sustained compared to now. Children are bigger, stronger and taking greater risks around their heads and those of opponents.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
      Double-posting here but the risks in rugby have increased drastically in recent decades, particularly the last decade. There's no real comparison to rugby 20 or 30 years ago in terms of the head impacts sustained compared to now. Children are bigger, stronger and taking greater risks around their heads and those of opponents.

      I just don't see it, as someone who's been involved in underage rugby for a decade.

      I think it's true 16 plus, but not 5-16.

      And even where it's true it's relatively marginal. I'm all in favour of re-educating coaches who try to get amateurs to emulate the pro game, but the reality is that very few succeed.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

      "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


      "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

      Comment


        #18
        I see Young Munster are running a tackle skills day for kids. More focus on tackle and ruck technique is something that should reduce injuries


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
        - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
          I see Young Munster are running a tackle skills day for kids. More focus on tackle and ruck technique is something that should reduce injuries


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          ''Tis run/sponsored by the Shadowman tackling systems.
          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
            I just don't see it, as someone who's been involved in underage rugby for a decade.

            I think it's true 16 plus, but not 5-16.

            And even where it's true it's relatively marginal. I'm all in favour of re-educating coaches who try to get amateurs to emulate the pro game, but the reality is that very few succeed.
            I'll gladly defer to your better knowledge as I don't coach or regularly watch underage, but from my observation having played underage less than 15 years ago to watching now, the guys are a lot bigger and the hits are a lot harder, and guys are emulating the professional game when their bodies aren't properly developed.

            Comment

            Working...
            X