Underage Munster Academy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underage Munster Academy

I coach underage club players in Cork for the last ten years and there used to be a good system in place for selecting players for the underage academy. A few players would put forward by the clubs early in the season and go to regular training sessions. Then there would be 3-4 trail sessions at the start of the summer from which a panel would be selected who would continue to train over the summer. Even the players that didn't make the cut learned a lot from their training sessions and I found that it fostered great interest and enthusiasm for rugby. The players learned things in the academy sessions and shared these with their friends when they got back to their clubs. This method seems to have disappeared in the last few years and now very few underage players now have any contact with the underage academy. It all seems such a backward step - does anyone know why this happened?

Originally posted by RugbyCoach6 View Post
    I coach underage club players in Cork for the last ten years and there used to be a good system in place for selecting players for the underage academy. A few players would put forward by the clubs early in the season and go to regular training sessions. Then there would be 3-4 trail sessions at the start of the summer from which a panel would be selected who would continue to train over the summer. Even the players that didn't make the cut learned a lot from their training sessions and I found that it fostered great interest and enthusiasm for rugby. The players learned things in the academy sessions and shared these with their friends when they got back to their clubs. This method seems to have disappeared in the last few years and now very few underage players now have any contact with the underage academy. It all seems such a backward step - does anyone know why this happened?
    When you say underage academy what exactly are you referring to?
    Do you mean the RDS(Regional development Squads) or something else?
    The regional development system hasnt at all disappeared. There is still the regional squads who train and play each other as well as similar squads from the other provinces as well as the squads at the same level within the schools pathway. If you look in the Irish Club Rugby section of the forum in particular the youths rugby and age grade intepros threads and the Munster Academy thread you will see plenty on the underage development pathways

Comment

Sorry academy was probably the wrong term, it is referred to as cadets. It is for players around 15-16 years old and after 12-18 months some of them would be selected for the Regional Development Squad. It used to be a big goal for some of the boys I used to coach to get a trial for the cadets but that seems to have largely disappeared now.

Comment

Originally posted by RugbyCoach6 View Post
        Sorry academy was probably the wrong term, it is referred to as cadets. It is for players around 15-16 years old and after 12-18 months some of them would be selected for the Regional Development Squad. It used to be a big goal for some of the boys I used to coach to get a trial for the cadets but that seems to have largely disappeared now.
        T think we need to get beyond using the word 'trial' as that isnt whats best but the cadets has changed i believe. Im not involved in coaching as much at the moment so dont know exactly how its changed.
        Contact the CDOs like John Lacey, Noel O Meara, Brendan O Connor etc as they will be the ones involved in running these set ups.
        contact details are in red book http://www.munsterrugby.ie/files/fla...ok_2016-17.pdf

Comment

Working...
        X