This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick query ;
    I presume they are talking about introducing these proposed law changes after Rwc 19?

and hopefully, commencing with a trial period in some lower / university league to fully assess the likely outcomes??

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
      A quick query ;
      I presume they are talking about introducing these proposed law changes after Rwc 19?

and hopefully, commencing with a trial period in some lower / university league to fully assess the likely outcomes??
      Of course. Will be after world cup. Just like past few world cups and trialled in similar competitions as then.
      Trialled in club/university/lower pro level comps in different countries and then if successful likely go on global trial

Comment

One thing that seems to be happening a lot more recently is that the jackal is not trying to contest the ball but wrap tackled player and ball in an effort to win a not releasing penalty.

Comment

The NZH has a report on a Club game in Dunedin where, late in the game, the Ref called over a player and his captain. He issued a Red Card and was punched by the player.

The article continues:

"The incident has been reported and a hearing will take place.

Possible further action may be considered. "

PK's emphasis.

Now I have had disagreements with Referees over the years here and elsewhere, but as far as I'm concerned, any player who strikes an Official must never be allowed to play the game again
          Last edited by Piquet; 29th-July-2019, 19:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
            The NZH has a report on a Club game in Dunedin where, late in the game, the Ref called over a player and his captain. He issued a Red Card and was punched by the player.

The article continues:

"The incident has been reported and a hearing will take place.

Possible further action may be considered. "

PK's emphasis.

Now I have had disagreements with Referees over the years here and elsewhere, but as far as I'm concerned, any player who strikes an Official must never be allowed to play the game again
            That’s a bit harsh, someone might give Ben Whitehouse a dig someday and should be rewarded for it.

Comment

Ah no, Lar. Even he must be protected, annoying and all as he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                Ah no, Lar. Even he must be protected, annoying and all as he is.
                We will have to agree to disagree so.

Comment

Just watching the Wales-Fiji game on delay, and 20 minutes in there was chat on the commentary about the laws pertaining to the forward pass - apparently the "movement of the hands" thing is gone now, and it's back to a simple decision as to whether the direction of travel of the ball is towards the opposition tryline. Maybe the rest of ye were aware of this, but it had passed me by!
                  Tis but a scratch.

Comment

and they are still getting it wrong

Comment

Were they .... Welsh... or Scottish commentators???
                      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                        Just watching the Wales-Fiji game on delay, and 20 minutes in there was chat on the commentary about the laws pertaining to the forward pass - apparently the "movement of the hands" thing is gone now, and it's back to a simple decision as to whether the direction of travel of the ball is towards the opposition tryline. Maybe the rest of ye were aware of this, but it had passed me by!
                        yeah it changed. Better off for change.

Comment

Somebody should tell Owen Doyle - Irish Times today.

''Unexpectedly, forward passes must be referenced. Very marginal calls have suddenly appeared and we have listened to match officials referencing the whitewashed lines to assist in making these judgements. It’s wrong and officials are in danger of misleading themselves.

Here’s why:

If the ball carrier crosses, for example, the opponents’ 22m line as he passes the ball, laterally or backwards to a teammate, then that ball will often be caught on the far side of the 22m line.

It’s called relative velocity – the ball will naturally travel forward over the ground, because the player is running forward. If a tackle stops the ball carrier in his tracks the visual effect is greater.

Assistants who are standing still need to think very carefully about calling these, they seem drawn to watching the flight of the ball. And when the assistant is running with play he has the correct perspective and not calling. TMOs need to take care over persuasive intrusion.

Utilising a convenient white line to decide or assist the decision is wrong.

The only criterion for judging a pass to be forward is “did the ball leave the passer’s hands in a forward direction?”

If not, get on with it, play on.''

Comment

Working...
                          X