This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ManWithDog View Post
    I've seen much comment about Peter O'Mahony's binding on Stephen Archer in various scrums during the Leinster game. I always expected to see a flanker bind onto the jersey of the 2nd row, but felt that that style of bind was merely traditional, and POM's bind on Saturday to be something innovative. Having player flanker on a few occasions, I always considered the traditional bind to be awkward and not capable of delivering 'full thrust' whereas this new bind appeared much more effective. I also played Prop and was always very vocal if the flanker was perceived to be 'leaning' instead of shoving !
    It seems a lot of Leinster fans are claimimg POM to have been binding illegally - can anyone clarify if there is, in fact, a specific law regarding the bind of a flanker ?

Sanction: Penalty.
    1. The players in the scrum bind in the following way:
    2. The props bind to the hooker.
    3. The hooker binds with both arms. This can be either over or under the arms of the props.
    4. The locks bind with the props immediately in front of them and with each other.
    5. All other players in the scrum bind on a lock’s body with at least one arm.

Comment

Very clear Evanderch !

I'm old enough to remember the delightful days of the Hooker slipping off his bind on the Tighthead to cover the eyes of his opposite number as the ball was put in. Today's front-row outbursts are very mild compared to the chaos of the '70's !!

Comment

Conway’s conversion charge down reminded me of a question about charging free kicks that I never had a definitive answer for. I used to do this years ago before it became common place and often was met with bemusement by both the opposition and referee. On occasion the kicker would stop in his tracks, in this situation can you tackle him? And if so is it a scrum advantage for an incorrect free kick?

Comment

Originally posted by red exile View Post
          Conway’s conversion charge down reminded me of a question about charging free kicks that I never had a definitive answer for. I used to do this years ago before it became common place and often was met with bemusement by both the opposition and referee. On occasion the kicker would stop in his tracks, in this situation can you tackle him? And if so is it a scrum advantage for an incorrect free kick?
          Once the kicker has tapped it, you can move. Of course you might start moving before he actually taps it, then up to the Ref or officials to decide.
          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post

Once the kicker has tapped it, you can move. Of course you might start moving before he actually taps it, then up to the Ref or officials to decide.
            I thought it was once the kicker makes a motion to kick (similar to a conversion) you can charge. I should have said I am specifically referring to a 'mark' which may or may not make a difference.

Comment

So what is the general opinion about the try disallowed in the Glos V Castres game?

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                So what is the general opinion about the try disallowed in the Glos V Castres game?
                For me the defender is over the ball, so as soon as the Gloucester player makes contact with him, they are on their feet in close contact over the ball. So its a ruck and a legitimate try.

Comment

That was my read of it too
                  "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

"Use it !!!"
                    In the 2nd half when Munster were driving the Exter scrum slowly backwards, one expected that they'd continue the drive, (hopefully) winning a penalty. Instead Garces shouted "use it !" thus compelling Duncan to pass, when there was no desire to do so.
                    When did it become acceptable for a Ref to make this call while the scrum is in motion ? I fully get it that where a scrum is immobile but the ball is available that he should give that direction, but in the case as above, surely it's disadvantageous to the attacking side ?

Comment

For me the defender is over the ball, so as soon as the Gloucester player makes contact with him, they are on their feet in close contact over the ball. So its a ruck and a legitimate try.
                      I felt he was stood behind the ruck waiting to defend the blindside. That he had a hand on a player in the ruck is irrelevant. I can see both sides though and thought it was a very tough call for Mitrea who I thought had a very good game.

Comment

I felt he was stood behind the ruck waiting to defend the blindside. That he had a hand on a player in the ruck is irrelevant. I can see both sides though and thought it was a very tough call for Mitrea who I thought had a very good game.
                        If he's not involved there is no ruck, just a tackle. He is over the player and the ball as can be seen in the picture. IMO when the Gloucester [prop?] binds on to him that is now a ruck.

Comment

If he's not involved there is no ruck, just a tackle. He is over the player and the ball as can be seen in the picture. IMO when the Gloucester [prop?] binds on to him that is now a ruck.
                          I think you will find it was the Castres tight head being cleared out that was the penalty/ no try offence.

Comment

I think you will find it was the Castres tight head being cleared out that was the penalty/ no try offence.
                            No, he inexplicably wanders off to the open side and pushes their blindside flanker who was guarding that side of the ruck in field. You can see it on the video here about 40 seconds in
                            Munster face Gloucester this coming Saturday at 1pm in Thomond Park in Round two of the Heineken Champions Cup. The 'Cherries' opened their campaign this aftern...

Comment

Working...
                            X