This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redherring View Post
    Tell the Western Force to start playing rugby league because that's essentially what they are playing in that tournament.
    "tournament"

Comment

Hi all. I'm hoping someone will be able to clarify the following for me:

If an attacking team knock the ball on over the oppositions try line and the ball is subsequently grounded by the defending team, are the defensive team given the option of a 5m defensive scrum or a 22 drop out?

I would have thought that they'd be given the option and the 22 drop out would normally be the better option (unless the defensive team had a very dominant scrum or time was almost up or something like that). However, this happened in the Munster vs Edinburgh match again at the weekend whereby Edinburgh knocked on over the Munster line and JOD (iirc), touched it down, resulting in a 5m scrum.

Munster ended up winning a penalty off that scrum but hindsight aside, I would have thought a 22 would be a better option considering the scrum was not particularly dominant.

Were Munster given a choice?

Comment

Last season in Lansdowne, Leinster knocked on over the Munster Goal Line and a scrum to Munster was awarded. Leinster pushed Munster off the ball and Nacewa (I think) scored in the corner.

I remember a discussion about it at the time and the Law is that a Scrum to the Defending side is always awarded in those circumstances.

Comment

I might be wrong here, but the two outcomes from a knock-on advantage is a) advantage accrues and the game continues or b) the ball goes dead. In the case of a) play on and b) a scrum where the knock on occurred. Touching the ball down in goal means the ball is dead, so a scrum is the correct outcome.

Comment

Sound Piquet. Thanks for that

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
              Last season in Lansdowne, Leinster knocked on over the Munster Goal Line and a scrum to Munster was awarded. Leinster pushed Munster off the ball and Nacewa (I think) scored in the corner.

I remember a discussion about it at the time and the Law is that a Scrum to the Defending side is always awarded in those circumstances.
              I believe there was once a law where the defending team had the option of a 22 or scrum. I also believe there was a law at some point where there was no knock-on in the tackle by the defender.
              He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                I might be wrong here, but the two outcomes from a knock-on advantage is a) advantage accrues and the game continues or b) the ball goes dead. In the case of a) play on and b) a scrum where the knock on occurred. Touching the ball down in goal means the ball is dead, so a scrum is the correct outcome.
                I remember situations where the ball was knocked on in to touch and the opposition were given the option of a scrum or lineout. If you're correct, I'd assume that this must be one of the laws that's changed in recent times?

Comment

Trials for the 20s competitions...
                  https://www.worldrugby.org/u20/news/336546

WORLD RUGBY U20 TROPHY
                  Law 9.13 The acceptable height of the tackle is reduced from the line of shoulders to below the nipple line.

The law will now read: A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously. Dangerous tackling includes, but is not limited to, tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent above the nipple line even if the tackle starts below the nipple line.
                  WORLD RUGBY U20 CHAMPIONSHIP
                  Tackles that increase the risk of head injury will be cited.

The match citing commissioner will issue a "High Tackle Warning" to THE TACKLER WHO IS DEEMED TO BE UPRIGHT (NOT BENT AT THE WAIST)

A tackler will be deemed to be upright when:

They are in an approximate upright standing position
                  They have made no clear attempt to lower the height of contact with the ball carrier to avoid the head or shoulders of the ball carrier
                  There is no knee flexion and minimal bending at the waist which brings the head into a dangerous position for collision with ball carrier's head or shoulder
                  The high tackle warning will be issued in one of four types of incidents:

All HIGH-CONTACT PENALTIES, irrespective of sanction, during matches
                  All TACKLES THAT RESULT IN AN HIA, irrespective of whether to tackler or ball-carrier
                  High tackles that are missed during the match
                  Accidental clear and obvious head to head and head to shoulder contact
                  Sanctions:

The High Tackle Warning is issued ONLY IF THE TACKLER IS UPRIGHT, AND THERE IS CLEAR AND OBVIOUS HEAD CONTACT for either player
                  Each High Tackle Warning carries 'one strike'.When 'two strikes' (two High Tackle Warnings) have been issued, a player will receive a one-match suspension (a right to appeal will operate)
                  High Tackle Warnings also form part of the usual accumulation of sanctions, including Citing Commissioner Warnings (CCWs) and yellow cards. A strong education element will be run in parallel, explaining that this player welfare initiative protects the tackler and their opponents

Comment

Originally posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
                    Penalty only right call for me. In air so has to be a penalty but how player lands etc and the tackler fully commits to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                      Penalty only right call for me. In air so has to be a penalty but how player lands etc and the tackler fully commits to it.
                      Interesting. It looks more than a bit reckless to me. English player landed ok but was fortunate to do so. Any intentional foul play like that should be a YC.

Comment

Originally posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
                        Interesting. It looks more than a bit reckless to me. English player landed ok but was fortunate to do so. Any intentional foul play like that should be a YC.
                        But he fell completely naturally. Didnt twist and turn and fell straight on his side. If he landed on shoulder or going towards head/neck you up the sanction. Thats why i feel penalty only is the right call

Comment

Can someone please explain what a Game Value offence is.
                          Falckns denied try yesterday as a result of this ruling by a ref.
                          Falcons player dummied a touchdown behind his own line then ran the length of the field to score a try that was disallowed by the ref using the above phrase, must be one of the most obscure rulings ever.
                          psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

Ungentlemanly conduct, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
                              Can someone please explain what a Game Value offence is.
                              Falckns denied try yesterday as a result of this ruling by a ref.
                              Falcons player dummied a touchdown behind his own line then ran the length of the field to score a try that was disallowed by the ref using the above phrase, must be one of the most obscure rulings ever.
                              A player must not do anything that is not good sportsmanship
                              Covered in foul play law.

Comment

Working...
                              X