Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laws Question. Ask here! 2016 Laws changes Post #113

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    No stiff arm or elbow in fending off, you must engage properly in a ruck, no flying in to clear out. Scrum half must stay on-side at scrum, there's a lot there for the Ref to keep an eye on, as usual some will be policed rigidly, some less so.
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

    Comment


      Originally posted by Sulla View Post
      No stiff arm or elbow in fending off, you must engage properly in a ruck, no flying in to clear out. Scrum half must stay on-side at scrum, there's a lot there for the Ref to keep an eye on, as usual some will be policed rigidly, some less so.

      no flying in to clear out.-- good to see this one and I hope it is enforced.
      "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

      Comment


        Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
        Any thoughts on the laws amendments?
        The sliding back in the maul will catch plenty out over next few weeks...
        The maul one will be interesting alright. I've no problem with the initial set up being policed, i think thats fairly straight forward. Beyond the initial phase of a protracted maul could be more problematic to get accurate calls but will wait and see. Old Dog above mentioned that Super Rugby has been reffed this year under this interpretation. I've seen little or no Super rugby this year. Has it been rigidly enforced for the duration of the maul, have teams got under the refs radar at any point.

        Its not a tactic i advocate but would like to know how liable teams are to be penalised. Have you no hope of getting away with the sliding tactic?
        Last edited by PEATB0G; 16-September-2016, 08:39.

        Comment


          In the Cardiff game, this night week, I saw, more than once, a Cardiff player, on the Munster side of a ruck, with only his hand in connection with the ruck. His arm was fully stretched out and was parallel to the Touch Line.

          Sir either didn't see this or chose to ignore it.

          This would appear to me to indicate that the policing of the engagement to the ruck will be similar to previous years.

          Comment


            munster v Cardiff game, Cardiff playing out time and the ref to what I heard anyway giving them time updates in the last 2 mins ?, Is this standard practice?, surely it gives advantage to team holding ball picking and driving to play down time. thoughts ?
            Still there's a light I hold before me
            You're the measure of my dreams
            The measure of my dreams.

            Comment


              Originally posted by theghost View Post
              munster v Cardiff game, Cardiff playing out time and the ref to what I heard anyway giving them time updates in the last 2 mins? Is this standard practice? surely it gives advantage to team holding ball picking and driving to play down time. thoughts?
              It happens quite a bit. Don't see too much of an issue with it. Quite often players will constantly be asking you anyway

              Interesting to see laws being trailled in NZ were abandoned before comp ended...
              http://lastwordonrugby.com/2016/10/1...d-world-rugby/

              Comment


                On the note of teams playing out the clock with ruck after ruck, similar to Connaught last weekend. Why don't teams adopt the Chiefs tactics of refusing to ruck, leaving it as just a tackle and crowding the scrumhalf and first receiver.seems like a no brainer to try it if you can't get your hands on the ball in the dying minutes

                Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                If a man stands in the middle of the forest with no woman around to hear him - is he still wrong?

                Comment


                  Simple to say, but in practice..
                  Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                    Simple to say, but in practice..
                    Agreed but teams must practice these scenarios similar to 2 minute drills in the NFL. It seems like it would be worth the gamble since the alternative is to watch the opposition wind down the clock and you lose the game.
                    If a man stands in the middle of the forest with no woman around to hear him - is he still wrong?

                    Comment


                      the main problem with this is that everyone needs to be on the same page...especially the ref.

                      But in practice it seems like a great idea. I'm sure some of the Toulouse players were trying this in that game towards the end.

                      Comment


                        New Law trials for 2017.
                        They will be trialled from the 1st of August in the Northern Hemispehere.
                        The 2017 British and Irish Lions tour to New Zealand and June window internationals will be played under the global law trials.


                        The laws under consideration are as follows:

                        Law 3 Number of Players – The Team
                        3.6 (Uncontested Scrums)
                        Add (h) Uncontested scrums as a result of a sending off, temporary suspension or injury must be played with eight players per side.
                        Reasoning: To discourage teams from going to uncontested scrums.

                        Law 5 Time
                        Add to 5.7(e) If a penalty is kicked into touch after time has elapsed without touching another player, the referee allows the throw-in to be taken and play continues until the next time the ball becomes dead.
                        Reasoning: To discourage teams from infringing in the dying moments of the game.

                        Law 8 Advantage
                        Add to 8.1(a) When there are multiple penalty infringements by the same team, the referee may allow the captain of the non-offending team to choose the most advantageous of the penalty marks.
                        Reasoning: To discourage repeat offending when advantage is already being played and to reward teams against whom repeat offending has taken place.

                        Law 9 Method of Scoring
                        9.A.1 (points values)
                        Penalty Try. If a player would probably have scored a try but for foul play by an opponent, a penalty try is awarded. No conversion is attempted.
                        Value: 7 points
                        Reasoning: To discourage teams from illegally preventing a probable try from being scored while also saving time on the clock by negating the need for a conversion.

                        Law 19 Touch and Lineout
                        Add to definitions on page 117:
                        • A player who is attempting to bring the ball under control is deemed to be in possession of the ball.
                        Reasoning: This brings into law something that is already applied in practice. It means that a player "juggling” the ball does not have to be in contact with it at the exact moment of touching the touchline or the ground beyond it for the ball to be deemed to be in touch. This makes it easier for the match officials to adjudicate.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                          New Law trials for 2017.
                          They will be trialled from the 1st of August in the Northern Hemispehere.
                          The 2017 British and Irish Lions tour to New Zealand and June window internationals will be played under the global law trials.


                          The laws under consideration are as follows:

                          Law 3 Number of Players – The Team
                          3.6 (Uncontested Scrums)
                          Add (h) Uncontested scrums as a result of a sending off, temporary suspension or injury must be played with eight players per side.
                          Reasoning: To discourage teams from going to uncontested scrums.

                          Law 5 Time
                          Add to 5.7(e) If a penalty is kicked into touch after time has elapsed without touching another player, the referee allows the throw-in to be taken and play continues until the next time the ball becomes dead.
                          Reasoning: To discourage teams from infringing in the dying moments of the game.

                          Law 8 Advantage
                          Add to 8.1(a) When there are multiple penalty infringements by the same team, the referee may allow the captain of the non-offending team to choose the most advantageous of the penalty marks.
                          Reasoning: To discourage repeat offending when advantage is already being played and to reward teams against whom repeat offending has taken place.

                          Law 9 Method of Scoring
                          9.A.1 (points values)
                          Penalty Try. If a player would probably have scored a try but for foul play by an opponent, a penalty try is awarded. No conversion is attempted.
                          Value: 7 points
                          Reasoning: To discourage teams from illegally preventing a probable try from being scored while also saving time on the clock by negating the need for a conversion.

                          Law 19 Touch and Lineout
                          Add to definitions on page 117:
                          • A player who is attempting to bring the ball under control is deemed to be in possession of the ball.
                          Reasoning: This brings into law something that is already applied in practice. It means that a player "juggling” the ball does not have to be in contact with it at the exact moment of touching the touchline or the ground beyond it for the ball to be deemed to be in touch. This makes it easier for the match officials to adjudicate.
                          Penalty try is interesting.

                          Comment


                            All reasonable upgrades. Only question is if for some reason there aren't enough front rows available how do you have a contested scrum?

                            Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
                            "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

                            Comment


                              All we need is for the refs to stop the scrumbollox and we'd be sucking diesel.
                              The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                                All we need is for the refs to stop the scrumbollox and we'd be sucking diesel.
                                Take the tmo away from outside the try yes/no question.

                                They're getting their 15 mins in the limelight and devaluing the referees influence and respekt.
                                I am the million man.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X