Rugby for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rugby for Dummies

Hey guys, does anybody know if there will be something along the lines of a 'rugby for dummies' summer camp/course running the Cork area, ideally for (or inclusive of) women?? Thanks!:smile2:

If you're not necessarily looking for scrums, contact etc and just want an introduction to some of the skills and concepts then a social tag rugby league may be what you're looking for. It's possible some could run beginner sessions.

Comment

I know a few refs that could use this!
      Check out my blog - Taking the Epistle

Comment

They should print it in French as well!

Comment

Originally posted by stickitupyourjumper View Post
          Hey guys, does anybody know if there will be something along the lines of a 'rugby for dummies' summer camp/course running the Cork area, ideally for (or inclusive of) women?? Thanks!:smile2:
          contact the various rugby clubs in your area, a lot of the womens teams run a taster evening before the season starts. As suggested by others tag-rugby is your best bet at this time of year it'll give you a non-contact taster of rugby before the rugby clubs kick into gear for the new season.
          Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

You could be right there. I'll look into what the tag leagues have to offer, would def need some for complete beginners though, (rules & complete lack of hand-eye coordination etc :_confused__rvmp_by_:smile2:). Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by stickitupyourjumper View Post
              You could be right there. I'll look into what the tag leagues have to offer, would def need some for complete beginners though, (rules & complete lack of hand-eye coordination etc :_confused__rvmp_by_:smile2:). Thank you!
              Have you tried the book?

http://www.amazon.com/Rugby-For-Dumm...by+for+dummies
              Check out my blog - Taking the Epistle

Comment

Hmm, I didn't know that, great suggestion, thank you! :smile2:

Comment

Hahaha ;) that's brilliant. No I haven't, but I'm literally looking for the animate version of that! but hey, that could be a good laugh for bed time reading in the mean time :o

Comment

To survive you need to remember two things - 1) you pass the ball to a team mate behind you and 2) you tackle with your shoulders parallel to the ground and your opponent's legs/bum between your head and the ground. Everything else is just a frippery.

If you can, watch as much rugby as you can. You are actually showing an interest at a really good time because there are Super XV, June tour and ITM Cup games to watch, enjoy, analyse and think about before the rugby worth caring about, i.e. Munster matches, begin in August.

The only other thing I would say is when it comes to passing the ball, remember that the best pass is flat and quick, so never practice passing long passes if these passes are long and looping.

Comment

Good man LM but I would add one small expansion to your "pass the ball to a team mate behind you" and say "run FORWARD and pass the ball to a teammate behind you"!

Too much fecking crabbing across the pitch and it needs to be stamped out a the start IMO.
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

And run with the ball in two hands!!!!

Comment

And spatial awareness is key, always know where the ref is before stamping on someone
                          My computer thinks I'm gay
                          What's the difference anyway
                          When all the people do all day
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

After all these years it's nice to know I haven't lost it - the workout today was down at the beach and to start us off, the coach threw a Frisbee so that the first person to get their hands on it each time got to pick an exercise for everyone else to do five reps. On the very first go, myself & another lad were going for it on the ground - he is taller and wider than me, but as we both dived for it I still managed to shoulder charge him out of the way! :D
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Ok, those two survival skills may have just gotten me over the initial fear of making an absolute gob****e out of myself haha, sound! I hadn't realized either that Super XV would be prob be hitting mid-season now would it? Is it tough trying to catch games with the time difference?

Comment

Working...
                              X