Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumptious Uniformed Whistle Blowers

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    It's a **** job. I did the refs course in London, but never pursued it. The actual reffing is fine, but everything that goes around it is a pain.

Getting in your car every week to a different pitch in the arse end of nowhere, knowing no one, not having a pint afterwards because you're driving and still having to spend an hour of your time in the bar afterwards talking some alickadoo through a decision you made.

You get next to no time at your own club, miss all the craic and cameraderie, but still have to give up your Saturday as if you were playing.

So it's basically like the worst week you ever had as a player, but every week.

I applaud anyone who does it, but it's a strange and solitary pursuit imo.
    Couldn't agree more, totally thankless job. Was looking at the recent 'community referee' program which might be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
      It's a **** job. I did the refs course in London, but never pursued it. The actual reffing is fine, but everything that goes around it is a pain.

Getting in your car every week to a different pitch in the arse end of nowhere, knowing no one, not having a pint afterwards because you're driving and still having to spend an hour of your time in the bar afterwards talking some alickadoo through a decision you made.

You get next to no time at your own club, miss all the craic and cameraderie, but still have to give up your Saturday as if you were playing.

So it's basically like the worst week you ever had as a player, but every week.

I applaud anyone who does it, but it's a strange and solitary pursuit imo.
      I don't see it as solitary at all. And certainly don't miss out on any camaraderie through working with tjs, meeting refs from other games. meeting refs at meetings, workshops etc.

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
      Couldn't agree more, totally thankless job. Was looking at the recent 'community referee' program which might be an option.
      Community ref is a very good one. You are not always doing games with your own club like you are limited to with assoc ref but you are always going to be relatively close to home.

Comment

Working...
      X