Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bumptious Uniformed Whistle Blowers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bumptious Uniformed Whistle Blowers

    They come in for a lot of scorn and abuse, some can be reviled by one team and loved by another but without them doing their best it wouldn't be possible for the game to exist. I am of course talking about the referees. Do we have any in our midst?


    The last time I played rugby was in some unremarkable match for an u14 C team. I can't remember the game at all, but I do remember we had a "real" referee for it. I think it was a guy in his leaving cert year getting practice in for real ref'ing. And I remember being amazed that anyone would think it was personally beneficial to officiate over whatever crap we got up to. Now I sort of understand. I'll never be a proper rugby player, the matches I watch are simply beyond any level of skill I could ever hoped for, but the ref's job seems easy. They do get it wrong all the time, as I can blatantly see and point out.

    I'd be interested in seeing what it's like to have to be right for the entirety of a match, because you rarely hear from any refs in the public eye. I followed Nigel Owen on twitter for a while, but that was mostly him talking about what function he was going to, saying a match was difficult and giving school kids in Wales homework off for the night. Donal Lenihan mentioned during the Ospreys match that he spoke at the Munster Ref's Dinner. It'd be interesting to hear what goes into ref'ing and what goes through the mind of someone willing to do it.
    I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

    #2
    I reffed tag rugby for a few years & that was an experience in & of itself, always fun being a 5'5" female trying to control lads of 6'+ they behaved quick enough when they got carded mind you. Most of the time it's fine as the players appreciate that you can only ref what you see, the sideline "experts" are far worse & far less tolerant than the players on the pitch.

    Watching rugby I tend to get far more annoyed at wrong/non-calls by the touch judges than I do by the ref's. The TJ's are supposed to be extra sets of eyes to help the ref as he can't see everything, but when they get stuff as blatantly wrong as happened last saturday it's difficult for the crowd to distinguish who their ire is aimed at, the man with the whistle or one of his mates with the flags. I do wish that the ref-radio links included the TJ's communications as very often it's difficult to tell if they've made a call & the ref has ignored it, or what.
    Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

    Comment


      #3
      Have the assoc ref course done and reffed my first game a few weeks back - an u14 game.
      Having the confidence to know that you can and will make mistakes is key. Looking back at that first game i messed up 4/5 decisions that i prob shouldnt have but they were one's i will get right in time for example ensuring my position at rucks etc is right.
      Only way I can improve is reffing more games which is something I will do in time.
      It is difficult enough at times but as LL says you can onlly ref what you see and players generally get that and that the people on the sideline can be much bigger irritants

      Comment


        #4
        Anyone know when the next full referee course in on?
        Have reffed a few games recently, am an assoc ref as above, been told im quite good and that I should do full course.
        Ideally Limerick but would travel if I had to.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
          Anyone know when the next full referee course in on?
          Have reffed a few games recently, am an assoc ref as above, been told im quite good and that I should do full course.
          Ideally Limerick but would travel if I had to.
          Here's the link. Email or Phone Peter Fitzgibbon:
          http://mar.ie/Referees.html

          Any other questions feel free to PM me.

          Comment


            #6
            I'm a society ref in London and it deffo gives a different perspective on the game.

            I can't play as much as I would like to anymore with shift work but being a ref allows me to stay in the game.

            You need to be confident and firm, even when you're wrong. There's no faster way to lose control of a game then to hesitate

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
              Anyone know when the next full referee course in on?
              Have reffed a few games recently, am an assoc ref as above, been told im quite good and that I should do full course.
              Ideally Limerick but would travel if I had to.
              Do you not play ? Because becoming a full branch referee effectively puts a stop to that and you would then be affiliated to a club but your allegience is with the MAR.

              I reffed for 5 years and it was rewarding and worth it, I stopped reffing because I loved my club and playing too much to not go back to it(also I was not a great referee).

              I still referee as an associate ref the school I work for in Dublin and still enjoying it.

              I'd certainly re-iterate what Liam has said, be confident with your decisions. Players don't know the laws very well and as long as you make a decision, stick with it and be consistent they will work with you.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                Anyone know when the next full referee course in on?
                Have reffed a few games recently, am an assoc ref as above, been told im quite good and that I should do full course.
                Ideally Limerick but would travel if I had to.
                Last time I looked into it there was a course in August, september, and January. they then have ref's meeting 1 night a week in Limerick for the munster North refs. From memory the course is usually a full day at a relatively central location - think Mallow was the venue when I was supposed to go.
                I've shelved the idea of taking up reffing as my work schedule is too varied for me to give the right level of commitment, and there's a definite push now to get ex-players to take up the whistle. some of the ireland women's players are being put onto a fast-track for ref development. One of the branch ref's I know reckons that one of those women is likely to be reffing mens AIL sooner than anyone may suspect.
                Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by nuke View Post
                  Do you not play ? Because becoming a full branch referee effectively puts a stop to that and you would then be affiliated to a club but your allegience is with the MAR.

                  I reffed for 5 years and it was rewarding and worth it, I stopped reffing because I loved my club and playing too much to not go back to it(also I was not a great referee).

                  I still referee as an associate ref the school I work for in Dublin and still enjoying it.

                  I'd certainly re-iterate what Liam has said, be confident with your decisions. Players don't know the laws very well and as long as you make a decision, stick with it and be consistent they will work with you.
                  Havent played in a year or so. Thanks for advice. Consistency and confidence are the key from what ive done so far and been told as well as noticed from playing
                  Originally posted by lahinch_lass View Post
                  Last time I looked into it there was a course in August, september, and January. they then have ref's meeting 1 night a week in Limerick for the munster North refs. From memory the course is usually a full day at a relatively central location - think Mallow was the venue when I was supposed to go.
                  I've shelved the idea of taking up reffing as my work schedule is too varied for me to give the right level of commitment, and there's a definite push now to get ex-players to take up the whistle. some of the ireland women's players are being put onto a fast-track for ref development. One of the branch ref's I know reckons that one of those women is likely to be reffing mens AIL sooner than anyone may suspect.
                  thanks. I'll have a look at MAR and poss contact Peter Fitzgibbon or whoever does recruitment in North Munster

                  Comment


                    #10
                    There should be a new referee course in January, and I'll post details here when I have more information - in the New Year.

                    In the meantime, the MAR wishes a very Happy Christmas to all here on Munsterfans.

                    We've asked Santa for a trip to Cardiff in May......here's hoping!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Hi Munsterfans!

                      The New Referee Course is on Jan 5th in Mallow GAA Club.

                      The Munster Association of Referees (MAR) are running a referee course at Mallow GAA Club on January 5th at 10am (Free of Charge).


                      The MAR is giving you the opportunity to give back to the sport, rugby referees enjoy the same benefits of the game as the players - without the injuries!If keeping fit (referees run six miles in an 80 minute match), travelling, taking part in a lively social scene or getting an adrenaline rush is your idea of a great pastime, rugby refereeing could be for you.
                      As well as the obvious benefits, a referee's constant study of the game enriches their enjoyment of this lifetime sport. There is more need for referees now than ever!
                      The MAR are very proud of the fact that several members are now officiating right up to the very highest level including International and European Cup with John Lacey set to referee his first Six Nations match in the new year.

                      http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/...p#.Ur7HJPRdX40

                      for contact details and registration.

                      If you've ever thought about refereeing, then why not make enquiries? Many newer referees start off slowly and, as they begin to enjoy it more, so they find ways of increasing their commitment.
                      There won't be another referee course until September 2014 (at the earliest) - why waste 9 months?

                      I'll keep an eye on this thread, so if you have any questions, feel free to post.

                      Thanks and Happy New Year to All!
                      Last edited by MunsterReferees; 28th-December-2013, 12:56. Reason: re-format

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by MunsterReferees View Post
                        Hi Munsterfans!

                        The New Referee Course is on Jan 5th in Mallow GAA Club.

                        The Munster Association of Referees (MAR) are running a referee course at Mallow GAA Club on January 5th at 10am (Free of Charge).


                        The MAR is giving you the opportunity to give back to the sport, rugby referees enjoy the same benefits of the game as the players - without the injuries!If keeping fit (referees run six miles in an 80 minute match), travelling, taking part in a lively social scene or getting an adrenaline rush is your idea of a great pastime, rugby refereeing could be for you.
                        As well as the obvious benefits, a referee's constant study of the game enriches their enjoyment of this lifetime sport. There is more need for referees now than ever!
                        The MAR are very proud of the fact that several members are now officiating right up to the very highest level including International and European Cup with John Lacey set to referee his first Six Nations match in the new year.

                        http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/...p#.Ur7HJPRdX40

                        for contact details and registration.

                        If you've ever thought about refereeing, then why not make enquiries? Many newer referees start off slowly and, as they begin to enjoy it more, so they find ways of increasing their commitment.
                        There won't be another referee course until September 2014 (at the earliest) - why waste 9 months?

                        I'll keep an eye on this thread, so if you have any questions, feel free to post.

                        Thanks and Happy New Year to All!
                        On MRSC Facebook page also .

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Always play the whistle, not the ref.
                          Gwan Joe!!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Thought i would BUMP this thread now with Frank Murphy hitting news for getting to referee in the pro12 this weekend for the first time having only taken up refereeing 2 years ago.
                            This follows Helen O Reilly becoming first female referee in AIL with Joy Neville then joining Helen in refereeing at that level.

                            Great seeing some top level players refereeing but we simply need more volunteers to referee at every level. Be that under 13 to 18/19 or adult games.
                            What would people like seen done to help get more people to become referees?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                              Thought i would BUMP this thread now with Frank Murphy hitting news for getting to referee in the pro12 this weekend for the first time having only taken up refereeing 2 years ago.
                              This follows Helen O Reilly becoming first female referee in AIL with Joy Neville then joining Helen in refereeing at that level.

                              Great seeing some top level players refereeing but we simply need more volunteers to referee at every level. Be that under 13 to 18/19 or adult games.
                              What would people like seen done to help get more people to become referees?
                              It's a **** job. I did the refs course in London, but never pursued it. The actual reffing is fine, but everything that goes around it is a pain.

                              Getting in your car every week to a different pitch in the arse end of nowhere, knowing no one, not having a pint afterwards because you're driving and still having to spend an hour of your time in the bar afterwards talking some alickadoo through a decision you made.

                              You get next to no time at your own club, miss all the craic and cameraderie, but still have to give up your Saturday as if you were playing.

                              So it's basically like the worst week you ever had as a player, but every week.

                              I applaud anyone who does it, but it's a strange and solitary pursuit imo.
                              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

                              "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


                              "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X