X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joeriddick
    started a topic The Dark Arts

The Dark Arts

I'll be using this thread over the next few months to document something that I've wanted to do for quite some time - play rugby. I've signed up with a club here in NYC and I've begun training over the last few weeks.

Here's the thing, due to some of my frame, they're looking to put me into the front row. This may not end well but I'm looking to learn (and I've got kickin' health insurance). The level is pretty low but I'll update my (probably myriad) beastings here.

So, here's a run down of my stats.

Height: 5' 11"
    Weight: 17st 7 lbs / 112kg / 247lbs
    Frame: "Long back, short legs"
    Rugby Experience: Zero
    Other Experience: 4 years of GR Wrestling
    General Fitness: Decent

Now I'm not sure what side I'm going to be playing on - loosehead probably (hopefully) but one thing I wanted to get here is advice from some of the props (both past and present) on here.

What should I be expecting? Any tips, tricks or other experiences in the front row that might be interesting?

Post it here.

Wish me luck!

• treatycity1
    replied
    masters of our own disasters

Leave a comment:

• treatycity1
    replied
    our line outs a disaster and keatley is not helping

Leave a comment:

• treatycity1
    replied
    let’s just keep kicking it deep to them and get them to run back and hand us our asses on a plate

Leave a comment:

• The Last Stand
    replied
    Originally posted by sewa View Post
    Have a chat with DG.
    The plot thickens.

Leave a comment:

• Sulla
    replied
    Had my thoughts about the authenticity of it all at the time, still didn't know there was more to this?

anyone care to elaborate?

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
    Nope. No idea. I vaguely recall there being mention of stuff going on off the board that he had to give it up.
    Have a chat with DG.

Leave a comment:

• blackwarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by sewa View Post
    I am guessing you know what actually happened and are taking the piss?
    Is there something we're supposed to know or have missed?

Leave a comment:

• Captain Average
    replied
    Nope. No idea. I vaguely recall there being mention of stuff going on off the board that he had to give it up.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
    Agreed. Best thread ever, on this site.
    Hopefully whatever circumstances lead to joeriddick/kong giving up on it have been resolved though.
    I am guessing you know what actually happened and are taking the piss?

Leave a comment:

• Captain Average
    replied
    Agreed. Best thread ever, on this site.
    Hopefully whatever circumstances lead to joeriddick/kong giving up on it have been resolved though.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin77
    replied
    What an excellent read this all was. Shame it never continued

Leave a comment:

• Grandpasimpson
    replied
    Originally posted by rua13 View Post
    At least ten steps there by Shane o donnell but free in awarded, same last Saturday, is he ever blown up for it?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• rua13
    replied
    At least ten steps there by Shane o donnell but free in awarded, same last Saturday, is he ever blown up for it?

Leave a comment:

• nuke
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnat View Post
    Yes yawl rowing,he does seem to build well on both sides. Glad you enjoyed Kinsale,we did also.
    It was a great weekend all right.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as he hits the gym to do the right weights when he's old enough(if he isn't already). I never did that and while i developed on both sides one of the first questions I was asked by our physio when I presented a trapped nerve between my C5 & C6 and muscle spasming by my right shoulder blade was "did I row when I was younger?" and "was it two oars or one?"

He was not surprised that I did, with one oar(bow) that requires more power through the right upper body. I haven't rowed in 20 years but apparently the imbalance is still there as I was never functionally assessed and given remedial weight training to do.
    Last edited by nuke; 8th-May-2013, 08:51.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X