Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you get funny looking marks (Like bruise coloured freckles) on the top of your shoulders don't worry it's a form of bruising from the scrummaging. One of the girls at Shannon didn't have a clue what was going on with her skin after her first game & one of her non-rugby mates thought she might have meningitis !!
    Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Originally posted by Weetabix View Post
      What do you mean by "blood up"? If you suffer from "blood up-edness" of the getting wound up and losing the rag type, I'd fear for your long term prospects as a front rower.
      One of the things I was thought early on was to keep the cool, coz you will get jive talk, trash talk, pokey fingers, filthy stuff, piss take artists in every game, front 3 is a dangerous position to lose the rag.
      Not being critical, just saying.
      Not "blood up" as in losing the rag with guys. What I was referring to is that I find it very tough to resist the urge to blow over the top of a ruck off my feet when I'm coming in at pace because of my momentum and the urge to "SMASH".

I know I'm going to get a sledging, get pinched in my armpit and whatever else.
      To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

Comment

Originally posted by lahinch_lass View Post
        If you get funny looking marks (Like bruise coloured freckles) on the top of your shoulders don't worry it's a form of bruising from the scrummaging. One of the girls at Shannon didn't have a clue what was going on with her skin after her first game & one of her non-rugby mates thought she might have meningitis !!
        I haven't noticed them yet, but thanks! I would have been off to the doctor for sure!

Comment

Well done and you are doing the right thing on starting TH, it is the technically easier position although physically more demanding than LH(IMHO)

I would say the first thing to get right is your feet(you already appear to have the attitude). Square at shoulder width apart and to keep your hips square. I see a lot of new TH's bring their right foot forward for support and this invariably leads them to turn in when the pressure comes on. You want to basically be in a horse stance(do they use that in wrestling ?) but not as wide and on the crouch; flex at the knee and sit into it rather than bend at the hip.

Keep your right shoulder low and narrow by not moving your binding arm wide while also tucking in your chin like a boxer.

This is all before the hit of course but try to get comfortable with your prep before perfecting the engage\set, squeeze or drive.

Sore quads are not unusual as most of the power should come from your glutes and leg muscles but it might indicate a muscle imbalance or positioning issue if they are the only part sore. Building up your upper body core, back and shoulder is more a stablising measureI find.
          Last edited by nuke; 21-February-2013, 12:55.

Comment

Originally posted by lahinch_lass View Post
            You will definitely get these :)

Comment

Originally posted by nuke View Post
              Well done and you are doing the right thing on starting TH, it is the technically easier position although physically more demanding than LH(IMHO)

I would say the first thing to get right is your feet(you already appear to have the attitude). Square at shoulder width apart and to keep your hips square. I see a lot of new TH's bring their right foot forward for support and this invariably leads them to turn in when the pressure comes on. You want to basically be in a horse stance(do they use that in wrestling ?) but not as wide and on the crouch; flex at the knee and sit into it rather than bend at the hip.

Keep your right shoulder low and narrow by not moving your binding arm wide while also tucking in your chin like a boxer.

This is all before the hit of course but try to get comfortable with your prep before perfecting the engage\set, squeeze or drive.

Sore quads are not unusual as most of the power should come from your glutes and leg muscles but it might indicate a muscle imbalance or positioning issue if they are the only part sore. Building up your upper body core, back and shoulder is more a stablising measureI find.
              I was hoping you'd post here, so thanks a million.

I noticed my quads were sore but every where else was too - not in a "bad" way per see, but I knew I'd been working that's for sure. My core will take a hammering, but I'm lucky in that I've been doing DDP Yoga for a year now so my core is pretty solid all the way up.

My biggest mistake was messing up my arm and shoulder stance during the "touch". I seemed to lose concentration at that point because I knew the hit was coming so I focused on that rather than get my shoulder and arm in position to bind. The feet positioning is fine - I can stay in a semi squat almost indefinitely with no need for a kickstand balance. One thing I noticed was that I didn't have to readjust my feet on the hit.

Some questions - I'm starting the hit tonight because I've been judged to be physically able for it. Is there anything small I should look out for?

Comment

You will definitely get these :)
                For the rest of your life too. I gave up playing competitively in my late teens in the front row, I'm 34 now, and still get them if I lift anything heavy on my shoulders, ie golf bags

Comment

Just saw this on another thread.

Perfect.

Comment

Good pointers in that vid

Comment

Originally posted by joeriddick View Post
                      I'll just explain to the ref that I'm a very sexual person.
                      Do not do this.

Save it up. It's the last resort of the desperate. You don't want to waste it...
                      Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by JCC
                        • I need to learn how to SQUEEEEZZZZEEEE with my right arm and pin the LH's neck all while controlling the LH with my upper body. If I don't, the loosehead is going to pop under my chest with his head and neck and drive me back.
                        One of the best examples was the Bull. When that shoulder rolled over and in, that was that: earth-moving equipment wouldn't have shifted that side from then on.

I miss playing. :(

Comment

Originally posted by joeriddick View Post
                          Not "blood up" as in losing the rag with guys. What I was referring to is that I find it very tough to resist the urge to blow over the top of a ruck off my feet when I'm coming in at pace because of my momentum and the urge to "SMASH".

I know I'm going to get a sledging, get pinched in my armpit and whatever else.
                          Try to keep your arse below your shoulders while looking up and that should prevent you going off your feet at ruck time. Very similar to position for scrummaging and tackling.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spoofer View Post
                            Try to keep your arse below your shoulders while looking up and that should prevent you going off your feet at ruck time. Very similar to position for scrummaging and tackling.
                            For much the same reason; strong position so you can deliver the power from your legs/arse.

If you want an analogy, JCC, it's like a car. Your legs/arse are the engine, generating the power. Your shoulders are the wheels, laying down the power. But your core and position are the transmission and chassis, and they determine how much of the power generated gets to the wheels and how usable it is. Get them right, and it makes all the difference (look at Healy in 2010 and now).

Mind you, all analogies can be taken that bit too far. So, if someone asks you if you fancy a nice stiff stick-shift after training, they may not be talking rugby. Word to the wise...

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                              For much the same reason; strong position so you can deliver the power from your legs/arse.

If you want an analogy, JCC, it's like a car. Your legs/arse are the engine, generating the power. Your shoulders are the wheels, laying down the power. But your core and position are the transmission and chassis, and they determine how much of the power generated gets to the wheels and how usable it is. Get them right, and it makes all the difference (look at Healy in 2010 and now).

Mind you, all analogies can be taken that bit too far. So, if someone asks you if you fancy a nice stiff stick-shift after training, they may not be talking rugby. Word to the wise...
                              Speaking from experience ?

By the way where did you learn your proppin ? certainly wasn't with UCC :P

Comment

Speaking from experience ?

By the way where did you learn your proppin ? certainly wasn't with UCC :P
                                Hey, manly beauty like mine would turn anyone's head. Blessing and a curse...

First propped in school, including stints under the tutelage of Paddy A. Then minor in UCC. Survived while grotesquely underweight by instinct and thinking it through; I mightn't be much good, but that I'm alive at all suggests I can work it out. :D Got out to the backrow in due course, but I had to drop out of playing for a couple of years. Like witness protection. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X