This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dark Arts

I'll be using this thread over the next few months to document something that I've wanted to do for quite some time - play rugby. I've signed up with a club here in NYC and I've begun training over the last few weeks.

Here's the thing, due to some of my frame, they're looking to put me into the front row. This may not end well but I'm looking to learn (and I've got kickin' health insurance). The level is pretty low but I'll update my (probably myriad) beastings here.

So, here's a run down of my stats.

Height: 5' 11"
    Weight: 17st 7 lbs / 112kg / 247lbs
    Frame: "Long back, short legs"
    Rugby Experience: Zero
    Other Experience: 4 years of GR Wrestling
    General Fitness: Decent

Now I'm not sure what side I'm going to be playing on - loosehead probably (hopefully) but one thing I wanted to get here is advice from some of the props (both past and present) on here.

What should I be expecting? Any tips, tricks or other experiences in the front row that might be interesting?

Post it here.

Wish me luck!
    To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

On the first scrum of every game, just after the "engage" turn your face slightly and kiss your opponents cheek.
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
      On the first scrum of every game, just after the "engage" turn your face slightly and kiss your opponents cheek.
      I'll just explain to the ref that I'm a very sexual person.

Comment

A deep nostrily inhale followed by "Your hair smells lovely" is effective as well.
        I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

And say 'Ooooohhhh where did you get those boots'
          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Vaseline is handy, either that or a sack & crack wax

Comment

Looking at your stats, you indeed seem to be built for the front row.
              It is that or the third, where that wresting experience could come in handy.

Comment

Originally posted by joeriddick View Post
                I'll be using this thread over the next few months to document something that I've wanted to do for quite some time - play rugby. I've signed up with a club here in NYC and I've begun training over the last few weeks.

Here's the thing, due to some of my frame, they're looking to put me into the front row. This may not end well but I'm looking to learn (and I've got kickin' health insurance). The level is pretty low but I'll update my (probably myriad) beastings here.

So, here's a run down of my stats.

Height: 5' 11"
                Weight: 17st 7 lbs / 112kg / 247lbs
                Frame: "Long back, short legs"
                Rugby Experience: Zero
                Other Experience: 4 years of GR Wrestling
                General Fitness: Decent

Now I'm not sure what side I'm going to be playing on - loosehead probably (hopefully) but one thing I wanted to get here is advice from some of the props (both past and present) on here.

What should I be expecting? Any tips, tricks or other experiences in the front row that might be interesting?

Post it here.

Wish me luck!

I was an outside back so I can't give you any front row advice. Make sure you learn the essentials of the game to keep yourself safe. Make sure you place your head in the right position when you tackle (see Courtney Lawes tackle on Kearney in the last 6n game as an example of what NOT to do). Make sure you have good body position going into contact and make sure you are placing the ball back properly, last thing you want is to be turned in the tackle or chopped down too quickly. Figure out quickly what you should be doing at ruck-time and what you're not supposed to do. AT LOW LEVEL WATCH OUT FOR FELLAS ACTING THE LANGER AT RUCK TIME, JUST BE CAREFUL.

From what I was told by props the neck is a very important part of the body. Make sure your neck is strong and if you just happen to have the wrong shaped neck then try another position.

If you're going to do weights concentrate on the squat, all the props I played with who actually did weights did squat exercises more than anything else, bench press is just an exercise in mickey waving compared to the squat I was told. Personally I didn't do a lot of weights until my mid-20s when I was coming out of the game.
                Last edited by Brenny; 20th-February-2013, 08:55.

Comment

Used to play at 2 meself, learn how to snort the snot out your nose without using your hands, it's very intimidating, and comes in handy when combined with the front rows engaging, projectile snort the snot onto your opponents cheek.
                  In all honesty, be able to take a hit and have a good sense of humour and you'll be grand.

Comment

Now I'm not sure what side I'm going to be playing on - loosehead probably (hopefully)
                    Man up,go TH.

Comment

Keep an eye on your fingers, they'll give you bother for the first few months (although being a wrestler you should have plenty strong hands). Grip **** tight in contact and they'll be grand, the limp wristed stuff is when they get mangled
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Cover you head / hair with winter green, makes you opposite numers eys water
                        Never shave before a match, useyou stubble to irritate his face, serious beard rash

Most importantly, enjoy yourself, your team mates, the game and your opponents in the third half.
                        A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Well, had my first proper scrummaging session last night. As Taz suggested up the thread, I've had to man up because tight head side it is.

I started on some live work with double sided Ozzie prop, and the guy I'll be benching for Martin*.

Here are some of my thoughts:

• Even packing down to hit the machine is intense. WHAT will it be like against another team? Massive challenge. Thankfully the GR wrestling knocked any fear of contact out of me a few years ago but I can tell already that this is a different kettle of fish entirely. I'll be getting to know Tom, the hooker, very well over the next few weeks/months.

• Years of watching scrums being reset has at least given me a headstart as to how to pack down. Didn't realize that the TH's shoulder had to be slightly out in front of the hooker's but there you go.

• One thing that's surprised me this morning is that my quads are killing me. Maintaining a safe, straight and low body shape, even against the machine, puts a lot of pressure on your upper thighs and calves - way more than I thought it would.

• I need to learn how to SQUEEEEZZZZEEEE with my right arm and pin the LH's neck all while controlling the LH with my upper body. If I don't, the loosehead is going to pop under my chest with his head and neck and drive me back.

• The actual physical wrestle of the scrum is really enjoyable. Martin killed me last night, but all I want to do next week is try to kill him.

• I've got a way to go before I go for a full blown scrum (and dealing with the opposing hooker) but I'm getting there.

• Lifting in the lineout is tough on the shoulders and learning the calls is going to be hard.

• Rucking is hard and the temptation to go off your feet when the blood is up is huge.

• Hitting the tackle bags is ****ing great stuff.

Comment

You could write a book after that Joe, very informative for us non-scrumaging types
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

• Rucking is hard and the temptation to go off your feet when the blood is up is huge.
                              What do you mean by "blood up"? If you suffer from "blood up-edness" of the getting wound up and losing the rag type, I'd fear for your long term prospects as a front rower.
                              One of the things I was thought early on was to keep the cool, coz you will get jive talk, trash talk, pokey fingers, filthy stuff, piss take artists in every game, front 3 is a dangerous position to lose the rag.
                              Not being critical, just saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X