World Rugby to abolish Rugby Union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Rugby to abolish Rugby Union

Not officially, of course but according to the NZH, they are considering doing away with Scrums, Mauls and Line-outs.

"According to the report, a free kick could replace scrums, mauls would be removed from the game and line-outs could go uncontested."

Been watching a few tests lately from the 60's and 70's. Not a whole lot going on aside from lotto scrums, lottery lineouts, and kicking of course.
    Very occasional brilliance in open country too.
    The game has come a long way...
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

You mean that the ball had to be put straight into the scrum to give the oppposition Hooker a chance to win it?

Or that the scrum started when the two Front Rows arrived and "engaged"?

And when lifting (as opposed to "Holding in position") was not allowed in Lineouts?

Or forward passing was not allowed?

Not all "improvements" actually improved the game, IMO.

Comment

I don't disagree with you. However, the line-out appeared to be a sort of grapple as you reach. Scrums no doubt involved the art of hooking as well as channelling but it looks like the nudge, or bludgeon, was king, right up to Nantes in '86. It might have been 'engaging' for fellow players and old boys but jaysis the ball was in play so little and so often kicked away. Refereeing? To me a lot of it looked arbitrary at best a lot of the time.
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Hmmm proper rucking stopped all of that playing the ball with your hands and you didn't lie on the wrong side for long, I've still got the scars to prove it. Lineouts must surely ban lifting if they really do care about player safety and then they will need a jumper in the row instead of a fork lift to hoist them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
            You mean that the ball had to be put straight into the scrum to give the oppposition Hooker a chance to win it?

Or that the scrum started when the two Front Rows arrived and "engaged"?

And when lifting (as opposed to "Holding in position") was not allowed in Lineouts?

Or forward passing was not allowed?

Not all "improvements" actually improved the game, IMO.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	skbwhh2eyik41.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2600424
            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	skbwhh2eyik41.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2600424
              Wha?

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post

Wha?
                roentgen
                Life is good

Comment

The discoverer of XRays?

Comment

It's a scene/character from the Chernobyl drama, who constantly downplayed how serious things were getting in the immediate aftermath of the core explosion. He had his subordinates measure the background radiation, which they reported to be 3.6 Roentgen. His response was "3.6 Roentgen. Not great, not terrible" - ignoring the fact that 3.6 was the maximum reading on the low-limit dosimeters they were using. If you haven't watched the show, you really should - it's excellent.

Personally, I think a better metaphor for Cowboy to use might have been the one about boiling a frog.
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Like at Texas City where the level gauge in the tower was reading a couple of feet, but that, also, was its max. reading. The tower was almost full of liquid.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                        Personally, I think a better metaphor for Cowboy to use might have been the one about boiling a frog.

Comment

I was slagging Ormond Lad!
                          I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                          X