Coaching Under 7s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Point View Post

Does he play GAA ? I'm really glad I started Point jnr at GAA before Rugby, one has helped the other over the years, in being comfortable handling a ball. Also, try setting him a target i.e. he must attempt to carry the ball twice in a game and/or he must try to tackle someone once or twice, just something to focus his mind on doing a job. Be patient though, it will come in time.
    jaysus Point saying set a target and be patient in one sentence my brain is fried Good to see you posting again sir!
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post

jaysus Point saying set a target and be patient in one sentence my brain is fried Good to see you posting again sir!
      You don't have to hold them to it, just an effort to focus the mind, but they don't have to know that !

Comment

My eldest started at London Scottish U6's in August. He's not the fastest but he loves it. Especially:

Tug of war
        Having a coach or a parent holding a tackle bag at the end of an assault course (dodging cones, pass and receive with an adult, tiptoe over a ladder etc) with the players encouraged to shoulder barge into the pad - seeing the look on one of the slower runners' faces as they topple the coach or parent is priceless.
        Three pass rule - no one can hare-off with the ball until three passes have been completed.

As part of their development, they've gone and trained alongside/with two other local clubs (Teddington and Wasps) - this gives them exposure to other clubs, other kids, other coaches, strengthens their own sense of club identity etc.

Fundamentally the energy and enthusiasm of the coaches seems to be key - they set the tone for the whole group.

Comment

Working...
        X