Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coaching Under 7s

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Coaching Under 7s

    I coach at Under 7s in Blackrock in Dublin, because the young lad loves it and I'd prefer to be on the pitch rather than watching from the sidelines! Anyway, I'm a really crap coach, but want to try and get better.

    I've been really impressed by resources like this:
    https://www.coachingtoolbox.co.nz/tr...coaching-plans

    But we don't have anything similar on any of the Irish rugby sites. Most of the time I'm trying to make sure that everyone is included and having fun, but not sure I am doing much to improve their rugby skills.

    Anyone know if there are meaningful coaching materials for coaching in Ireland?

    Thanks!
    Believe.

    #2

    I'd say you've already found the best site there is right there. Inclusion and fun aren't to be sniffed at either - skills development at Under 7 is a slow process.

    At that age, I'd let them spend some time in non-rugby games too - dodge ball, stuck in the mud, bulldog with tags. They're still developing hand eye co-ordination, motor skills and all the rest.

    If you aim to build kids from that age who can run, evade, catch, change direction and all of that stuff then you're doing grand.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

    "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


    "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

    Comment


      #3
      Echo what Balla says work on non rugby games and just fun games in general to aid general movement skills and if looking for more materials I think I have a few links to drills, coaching manuals etc for that age group in a folder somewhere and can forward them on to you if I find them

      Comment


        #4
        http://www.munsterrugbycoachingindex.com/
        Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

        Comment


          #5
          Thanks for the feedback and links, much appreciated.

          Our club doesn't use tags for tackling in games - instead we have a somewhat waffly 'hands on hips to tackle' but it always leads to "I tagged him" - "no you didn't".

          I was thinking of buying some and starting to use them - anyone know the pros and cons of doing this? I'm surprised they aren't used already.

          Believe.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Gaillimh View Post
            Thanks for the feedback and links, much appreciated.

            Our club doesn't use tags for tackling in games - instead we have a somewhat waffly 'hands on hips to tackle' but it always leads to "I tagged him" - "no you didn't".

            I was thinking of buying some and starting to use them - anyone know the pros and cons of doing this? I'm surprised they aren't used already.
            Pretty standard in the pre-tackling age groups in England. Favours the nifty runners rather than the lads who are headed to the lower jersey numbers, and that can be disheartening, unless you also do skills that favours strength as well.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Gaillimh View Post
              Thanks for the feedback and links, much appreciated.

              Our club doesn't use tags for tackling in games - instead we have a somewhat waffly 'hands on hips to tackle' but it always leads to "I tagged him" - "no you didn't".

              I was thinking of buying some and starting to use them - anyone know the pros and cons of doing this? I'm surprised they aren't used already.
              They do favour elusive runners, but so does anything I suppose. The main problem is that they leave you with a correction going into contact age grades - but the hip tapping will too, to a lesser extent. The "bend over and stretch out your hands" thing leads to us needing to get closer and not reaching.

              The UK (and where I am in the middle east) use tag rugby as the under age game for tournaments etc. If you're not using it for friendlies etc I wouldn't bother though. They need to be playing with a consistent set of rules and approaches or they'll get frustrated.

              I'd recommend tag for any club though. It's a good way of working into the running game, and far clearer than taps. Though your taps will leave you with less adjustment coming into contact, as they'll be used to having to get in there a bit more. Tagging doesn't offer any sort of prep for body positions in the tackle.

              The biases towards nifty runners don't iron out until contact comes in, really. I've coached that year in a few clubs and it totally changes the perceptions of who is and isn't a good player.

              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

              "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


              "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

                They do favour elusive runners, but so does anything I suppose. The main problem is that they leave you with a correction going into contact age grades - but the hip tapping will too, to a lesser extent. The "bend over and stretch out your hands" thing leads to us needing to get closer and not reaching.

                The UK (and where I am in the middle east) use tag rugby as the under age game for tournaments etc. If you're not using it for friendlies etc I wouldn't bother though. They need to be playing with a consistent set of rules and approaches or they'll get frustrated.

                I'd recommend tag for any club though. It's a good way of working into the running game, and far clearer than taps. Though your taps will leave you with less adjustment coming into contact, as they'll be used to having to get in there a bit more. Tagging doesn't offer any sort of prep for body positions in the tackle.

                The biases towards nifty runners don't iron out until contact comes in, really. I've coached that year in a few clubs and it totally changes the perceptions of who is and isn't a good player.
                Also worth saying it works well with mixed teams if that’s a dimension in your club.

                Comment


                  #9
                  The English RFU have some really good drills / sessions on this site:
                  https://www.englandrugby.com/partici.../skills-series

                  Remember that the RFU age grades are different, so IRFU U8 is the rough equivalent of RFU U9.

                  Having done it for a few years now, it's the best craic I've ever had. At times it's like herding cats on acid, but the joy you get when the quiet lad finally finds his feet and nails a tackle / ruck/ scores a try is just incredible.

                  As a final point, get to as many festivals as you can. One festival is worth 10 training sessions.
                  Last edited by fitzy73; 13th-November-2019, 12:53.
                  Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Lads this thread is great. I have also dipped my toe into coaching (currently U8's) and its great fun. Just on a personal note though, my youngfella seems to be struggling with getting involved in games (he generally does fine in drills) and just stands there watching. If we give him the ball he tends to just pass it straight away and makes no effort to keep up with play or tackle. Any suggestions on things i could be doing with him to help him get involved? He's not afraid of physical contact as his sisters and i would wrestle with him all the time but seems to just not "get" whats going on in the game. any help appreciated
                    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Is he standing in his line? Some kids - unusually - actually listen to their coaches and stay in their defensive or offensive line.

                      If not, is he genuinely not afraid of tackling? My young fella would do these "pretend" tackles when they first started doing contact. Turns out he really didn't like tackling, but once they went to rucking this year he's smashing bigger lads.

                      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                        Lads this thread is great. I have also dipped my toe into coaching (currently U8's) and its great fun. Just on a personal note though, my youngfella seems to be struggling with getting involved in games (he generally does fine in drills) and just stands there watching. If we give him the ball he tends to just pass it straight away and makes no effort to keep up with play or tackle. Any suggestions on things i could be doing with him to help him get involved? He's not afraid of physical contact as his sisters and i would wrestle with him all the time but seems to just not "get" whats going on in the game. any help appreciated
                        Much like with adult players, I'd just give him some simple jobs to do. The majority of kids I've seen like that are hovering because of hesitation and uncertainty.

                        My son recently started playing soccer with his school, and was struggling the same way, until he went into defence and I got him to just focus on closing men down and tackling. Now that he knows what to do he's flying in.

                        If he's ok in drills, I'd be fairly sure he's just struggling with the amount that's going on in games. Give him one or two elements to focus on at a time (like "just get to the ball carrier and tackle) and see if anything changes would be my advice.
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

                        "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


                        "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                          Lads this thread is great. I have also dipped my toe into coaching (currently U8's) and its great fun. Just on a personal note though, my youngfella seems to be struggling with getting involved in games (he generally does fine in drills) and just stands there watching. If we give him the ball he tends to just pass it straight away and makes no effort to keep up with play or tackle. Any suggestions on things i could be doing with him to help him get involved? He's not afraid of physical contact as his sisters and i would wrestle with him all the time but seems to just not "get" whats going on in the game. any help appreciated
                          get him to tip off the ball and create situations by which he can get involved. Give him jobs to do as such as he can focus on that and not the game as a whole

                          Comment


                            #14
                            It’s U8s, at that level, some kids just don’t get it, even up to U10s in some cases. Can be intimidated by the kids that run rings round others.
                            Coaching Kids Stage 1 course coming up soon. Sign up and get a few tips

                            link to course, ring up to see if places left

                            https://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic...-rugby-course/
                            Last edited by Sulla; 13th-November-2019, 19:58.
                            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                              Lads this thread is great. I have also dipped my toe into coaching (currently U8's) and its great fun. Just on a personal note though, my youngfella seems to be struggling with getting involved in games (he generally does fine in drills) and just stands there watching. If we give him the ball he tends to just pass it straight away and makes no effort to keep up with play or tackle. Any suggestions on things i could be doing with him to help him get involved? He's not afraid of physical contact as his sisters and i would wrestle with him all the time but seems to just not "get" whats going on in the game. any help appreciated
                              Does he play GAA ? I'm really glad I started Point jnr at GAA before Rugby, one has helped the other over the years, in being comfortable handling a ball. Also, try setting him a target i.e. he must attempt to carry the ball twice in a game and/or he must try to tackle someone once or twice, just something to focus his mind on doing a job. Be patient though, it will come in time.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X