Nigel makes history (professional era)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nigel makes history (professional era)

World Rugby has given a dispensation to allow Nigel Owens referee the Wales v Babas at the end of November.

According to Wales On Line, "It is thought to be the first time an official has been put in charge of an international involving his own country."

Of course, the Elder Lemons amongst us remember that up to and including the seventies, the Lions Internationals were reffed by home refs.

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    World Rugby has given a dispensation to allow Nigel Owens referee the Wales v Babas at the end of November.

According to Wales On Line, "It is thought to be the first time an official has been put in charge of an international involving his own country."

Of course, the Elder Lemons amongst us remember that up to and including the seventies, the Lions Internationals were reffed by home refs.
    Most media articles i have seen were saying it was first in pro era. Though not surprised Wales Online making mistake like that...

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
      Most media articles i have seen were saying it was first in pro era. Though not surprised Wales Online making mistake like that...
      It's like Sky Sports and others reckoning that Football only began when the Premier League started.

I remember in the late 80s, watching a BBC feature on Clive Norling, the Welsh Ref, during which the England Head Coach, whose name escapes me, said that he would have no problem with him reffing England v Wales.

Comment

Working...
      X