Proposed new rules to be tried out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

This one sounds interesting. Would require close in pick and gos to be more controlled and would reduce the scourge of 5 minutes of game time being lost to 5m scrum resets.
    There is a strong possibility of it being unfair to the attacking team, there will be ambiguity on where the line is drawn between held up, not releasing and playing the ball on the ground when off feet / not releasing / rolling away to allow the attacking team recycle?

Defending players could be rewarded with turnover of possession on their line for movements that would yield an attacking penalty out the field

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

There is a strong possibility of it being unfair to the attacking team, there will be ambiguity on where the line is drawn between held up, not releasing and playing the ball on the ground when off feet / not releasing / rolling away to allow the attacking team recycle?

Defending players could be rewarded with turnover of possession on their line for movements that would yield an attacking penalty out the field
      I'm not sure I understand this. There will be a definite line (the try line) if the ball is over the line it is held up if it is not it would be not releasing.

It isn't a turnover in the true sense in that the defenders will have to kick the ball back.

Comment

I like the idea of the 50:22, it could really favour 12’s who can kick like scannell.

I would like to see them evolve the penalty try conversion rule to directly awarding 7 points for any team that scores under the posts in play and do away with stupid unmissable conversions.
        Penalty tries were automatically 7 points last season. change came into operation last summer. no conversions of penalty tries all last season

Comment

Red exile is on about tries under the posts from open play not needing to be converted.

I would be against that.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
            Penalty tries were automatically 7 points last season. change came into operation last summer. no conversions of penalty tries all last season

I know, you didn’t read what I said.

What I don’t see the need for is a try from play under the posts being converted. The kick is never missed, just award the 7 and get on with the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
              Red exile is on about tries under the posts from open play not needing to be converted.

I would be against that.

Why so?

Comment

I know, you didn’t read what I said.

What I don’t see the need for is a try from play under the posts being converted. The kick is never missed, just award the 7 and get on with the game.
                it isn't at all levels and there is no reason to stop conversions for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                  it isn't at all levels and there is no reason to stop conversions for it.
                  I don’t see it that way.

Those conversions (try’s from play under the posts) are never missed and they just waste time, not having to convert a penalty try that would have been scored out towards the touch line is a big advantage to the attacking team, so why not reward a team that attacks so competently that they score under the posts, just remove the formality of the conversion that won’t be missed anyway.

Comment

I agree with ormond lad (and that doesn't happen every day).

As he says, the odd kick is missed or charged down.

Comment

Originally posted by red exile View Post

I'm not sure I understand this. There will be a definite line (the try line) if the ball is over the line it is held up if it is not it would be not releasing.

It isn't a turnover in the true sense in that the defenders will have to kick the ball back.
                      Held up and not releasing are kinda the same thing, how do you tell the difference?

If an attacking team carries the ball over the line and are unable to recycle it because it’s being held onto by a defending player(s) lying on the ground isn’t that not releasing also?

Comment

I agree with ormond lad (and that doesn't happen every day).

As he says, the odd kick is missed or charged down.
                        I can’t ever recall a kick in front of the posts being missed or charged down (I’m talking senior level professional) and if there is the very very seldom one that can be offset by the attacking team being rewarded for better attacking play that results in a try under the posts.

Cut out the time that’s wasted and just restart the game.

Comment

Why not award three points every time Saracens or England get a pen straight in front within ten or fifteen yards and Farrell points to the posts?

If you want to cut out the waste of time, then stop the clock when a Try is scored and restart it when the ball is kicked off.
                          Last edited by Piquet; 1st-August-2019, 09:55.

Comment

Why not award three points every time Saracens or England get a pen straight in front within ten or fifteen yards and Farrell points to the posts?

If you want to cut out the waste of time, then stop the clock when a Try is scored and restart it when the ball is kicked off.
                            Thats a dumb question.

Comment

Thats a dumb question.
                              You started it.

I can’t ever recall a kick in front of the posts being missed or charged down (I’m talking senior level professional) and if there is the very very seldom one
                              I can't ever recall Farrell missing from close in, in front of the posts, so why not treat both examples in the same way?

Comment

You started it.

I can't ever recall Farrell missing from close in, in front of the posts, so why not treat both examples in the same way?

I was sure I wouldn't have to explain the difference between a penalty and a conversion to you but here goes, and i will keep the words small.

PENALTY:
                                When a penalty is awarded the attacking team has a choice between a kick at the posts, a scrum, to run the ball, or to kick for the line where the line out will be awarded to the attacking team once they kick directly to touch. Depending on the circumstances of the game the team may choose different options as is their want.

CONVERSION:
                                When a try is scored under the posts the attacking team has no choice but to kick the conversion and the result of that is either they convert the conversion - (which always happens) or they miss the conversion (which never happens)

Im sure I can get you a link to a video if you need a move visual explanation?

Comment

Working...
                                X