Wayne Barnes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    OL, you fail to understand (or pretend not to understand ) that if the Ref pings a team for a particular offence, then, eventually, that team will cease to offend.
    No they dont. And you, chippy and many others seem to think you just need to have x amount more penalties awarded in games. If it was that simple then why dont all pro referees do as ye are suggesting. There is good reason they dont.

It may take a few matches, but if, as suggested, Refs start to go to town on offside players, consistently and continuously, the penny will eventually drop, as long as the Officials hold their nerve and are backed up by the Administrators.
    Going to town on offside as in penalising every infringement of the offside law just creates frustration as we would have far more penalties and then you just cause over cautious defences and that is far from what is needed in games.

As PP has pointed out, action was taken on the tip tackle. Once this action was taken and it was accepted that it wasn't the Ref who issued the card that "ruined the game as a spectacle" rather it was the player who was carded, it has been eradicated for the most part.

Similarly, it won't be the Refs pulling for Offside that will be ruining the game, it will be the players who continue to be offside.
    You cant compare the single nature of a tackle to the moving of defensive lines all through a game.
    And refs mnagement of the offside line doesnt ruin games.

Comment

Folks, I think I'll move all the chat about refereeing to a more appropriate thread later on, both to keep this thread relevant to its original subject and to facilitate any wider/ongoing discussion about officiating.
      EDIT - done. This seems like the most appropriate recent thread.
      Last edited by mr chips; 2nd-May-2019, 18:42.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

I really wanted Clermont to win. But Wayne only seemed to ref one side. I know I am wrong OL. But that is just the way it seemed to me,
        I personally hate when I see his name on the match list, probably a really nice guy.

Comment

PK Said
          OL, you fail to understand (or pretend not to understand ) that if the Ref pings a team for a particular offence, then, eventually, that team will cease to offend.

OL replied:
          No they dont. And you, chippy and many others seem to think you just need to have x amount more penalties awarded in games. If it was that simple then why dont all pro referees do as ye are suggesting. There is good reason they dont.

PK said:
          It may take a few matches, but if, as suggested, Refs start to go to town on offside players, consistently and continuously, the penny will eventually drop, as long as the Officials hold their nerve and are backed up by the Administrators.

OL replied
          Going to town on offside as in penalising every infringement of the offside law just creates frustration as we would have far more penalties and then you just cause over cautious defences and that is far from what is needed in games.

OL, Owen Doyle would appear to disagree with you in today’s Irish Times

“Applying the law doesn’t lead to a whole lot more penalties, but it does lead to a change in player behaviour, and that’s what is needed.”

“Without needing to introduce new laws, let’s apply what’s there at the moment.”

“It’s now impossible to understand why the ball is not thrown in straight – the scrum halves are making the referees look pretty dim when they consistently get away with throwing the ball into the second row”

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post

And refs mnagement of the offside line doesnt ruin games.
            It certainly has killed a good few games I've watched this year. again!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Working...
            X