Munsterfans,The long road back to fitness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munsterfans,The long road back to fitness

Judging by a few of the comments on the threads we have a few ex runners/ex rowers/ex athletes knocking around here. Anyone else coming back to training after a long winter away from it? Did the 10 mile in Dungarven yesterday in a time so slow I could probably have been lapped if the serious athletes had put their mind to it.

Anyhow, am entered in the Ballycotton 10, intend to enter the Kilnaboy 10 and have entered for the Valentia triathlon, it's going to be a long road of depressingly slow training by the going so far.

Anyone else out there in similar straights? fancy going for a pie and discussing it?

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Post race depression. Love it.

On the bright side Joey, you've got the finger out and have started on that road back. That's the hardest bit IMO. No messing about either going by all those race entries. Nice one!
    Stewie: We\'re playing house...
    Lois: But that kid is all tied up!
    Stewie: Roman Polanski\'s house.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain-Hero

Post race depression. Love it.

On the bright side Joey, you've got the finger out and have started on that road back. That's the hardest bit IMO. No messing about either going by all those race entries. Nice one!
      Not sure it's just post race depression, I was fairly depressed with my pace during the race too, and depressed at the prospects before the race. i swear there was a granny, who seemed to be badly limping, sprinting past me with ease.

You in for Ballycotton Captain?
      It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

ha ha ha.

I am. It was tight with the entries though. That should be a little tougher unfortunately. But it'll be woth it for the mug at the end right?[img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]

You hitting the orad much or mainly the gym?

Comment

Road, nothing good comes from the gym.

To be fair, the training couldn't be described as intensive, might have to up though, possible that three of my brothers will run Ballycotton, another run like yesterday and I'll be too late to grab a lift home with them.

Ballycotton is always tight with the entries, they could have twice the number of runners if they wanted (or could fit them in), still, when you get that cup, you know it's all been worthwhile.

Comment

I'm doing no road running at all. The cutting back on the drink is doing my time wonders.

Comment

10 mile road races my arse.

This case study is approaching a half century gave up hurling rugby and all strenuous activity17 yrs ago,and 5 weeks ago began rehabilitation with a 2 mile run indoors. 1 1/2 Stone or deathwhichever comes first and it may be a close run thing.
              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy

10 mile road races my arse.

This case study is approaching a half century gave up hurling rugby and all strenuous activity17 yrs ago,and 5 weeks ago began rehabilitation with a 2 mile run indoors. 1 1/2 Stone or deathwhichever comes first and it may be a close run thing.
                I think Death's too busy keeping an eye on me so you should be safe enough Cornerboy.

The thing is, it starts with a 2 mile run indoors, next thing you know you've been persuaded to give a 5 miler a go, and sure after that wouldn't you give 10k a shot. etc etc. Budapest marathon has been muttered about.

Comment

Excellent stuff Cornerboy. The weight will fall off and the runs will become a lot easier as a result. Sucks at the start but the only regret you'll have is if you pack it in. Well done!

Comment

I frequent the gym a bitand tend to slack on the cardio but I made a New Years resolution to start running more as the gut is getting ridiculous. I had a fitness assesment though and my RHR is 59 which surprised me but gave me a bit of a confidence boost to get up off me arse. My ambition is to do a 10K this year. Not very ambitious I know but you have to start somewhere eh?

Comment

Starting back after doing the achilles last September. Back in the gym at the end of last week and the drop off in fitness is matched only by the gain in weight.

It's going to be a long couple of months, but I'm about a month off jogging according to the physio so it's spinning, cross trainer and rower for the forseeable future.

Was supposed to be doing Kilimanjaro this year, but had to knock it on the head.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by scourge
                        I frequent the gym a bitand tend to slack on the cardio but I made a New Years resolution to start running more as the gut is getting ridiculous. I had a fitness assesment though and my RHR is 59 which surprised me but gave me a bit of a confidence boost to get up off me arse. My ambition is to do a 10K this year. Not very ambitious I know but you have to start somewhere eh?
                        Where are you based Scourge? there's a good fun popular 10k's in Dublin that are nice to run.

Comment

10 miles? bloody hell. I struggle to run two at the moment, I'm so unfit.
                          <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
                          http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
                          </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

yep am alos jumping on the fitness threadmill, did the loughrea triathalon last september but iwth a very, very, very bad bike, need a new one, so if anyone has already given up on their fitness plans for 08 and is tryin to offload a racer/hybrid, let me know [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
                              Originally posted by scourge
                              Where are you based Scourge? there's a good fun popular 10k's in Dublin that are nice to run.

I'm in Meath so I could do a Dublin one. Any you could recommend in the summer?

Comment

Working...
                              X