Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cornerboy

Originally posted by busbi
    Sorry to say cornerboy but i think waterfords racecould berun. Dan Shanahan, McGrath, Browne, those lads have some miles clocked up now. With Killkenny as good as ever, Cork likely to come back strong, Galway looking hot and Tipp looking hard, and thats even discounting Limerick. I think the decies main problem is they get too emotional througout the year and then drain themselfs out mentally. If they just took it in there stridea bit more and relaxed a bit then i could see them going far again alright.

Hey Busbi, if I want to get emotional, I'll get emotional. I'm 50 yrs old, when I was playin juvenile Waterford had won an All Ireland 15 yrs previously and I believed our next was any day now. Now my son is playing senior hurling and we are still trying to win one. So if we win a Munster or a National League or wallop Cork again I'll get emotional and will make no apologies for it and so will the rest of us, team and supporters, and if we never win another All Ireland so be it.

Your good buddy Cornerboy....Pissed and emotional
    There's always hope. I see DLS won the schools title again. Must be talent coming through at underage.
    Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Enjoyed the League final today. Cork will have their hands full in June if they are to stop Tipp who have alot more momentum at this stage. The appetite is whetted for the summer ahead. Kilkenny though are still the ones to stop.

Canning looks the business, scored a superb goal and setup the first. Good to see some excellent forward play on both sides. Butler 0-6 from play was excellent also.

Comment

It looked like a pretty decent crowd in the Gaelic Grounds too (especially for a League Final) - or were most ofthe crowd onthe side opposite the cameras?

Has the GAA announced the attendance?
        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

16,000 - 20,000 they were saying on TG4 OD, so that would have been both seated stands near full. Great atmosphere there going by the tele.

Comment

Great game yesterday - McGrath and Butler were excellent. 'Can't wait for the Munster Championship now. Kilkenny still look like the team with the least weaknesses. I'd be surprised if Cork or Waterford deny them. Waterford lack strength in depth in several positions, injury to Eoin Murphy highlights this as Foley or Moran will probably have to start and neither are the finished article. Cork need Ronan to move on another gear from last year and Paudie O' Sullivan to step up as well as Ben O' Connor has lost a bit of form and Deane isn't the threat he was. Our full-back line is ropey enough as well. The hunger should be there this year though. If anyone is to upset Kilkenny I think it could be Galway - big and physical, lots of match-winners, Ollie Canning will bring a bit more solidity to their full-back line as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin a bhfuil
              Great game yesterday - McGrath and Butler were excellent. 'Can't wait for the Munster Championship now. Kilkenny still look like the team with the least weaknesses. I'd be surprised if Cork or Waterford deny them. Waterford lack strength in depth in several positions, injury to Eoin Murphy highlights this as Foley or Moran will probably have to start and neither are the finished article. Cork need Ronan to move on another gear from last year and Paudie O' Sullivan to step up as well as Ben O' Connor has lost a bit of form and Deane isn't the threat he was. Our full-back line is ropey enough as well. The hunger should be there this year though. If anyone is to upset Kilkenny I think it could be Galway - big and physical, lots of match-winners, Ollie Canning will bring a bit more solidity to their full-back line as well.
              All this excitement about Canning and such, people, including the media, forget that KK are going for a 3 in the row and Tipp this, Galway that, Waterford maybe, the one team, hell bent on stopping them, for obvious reasons is Cork.
              All new young potential players and the old yet fresh rivalry of Cork and KK is still there. But sure that wont be talked about till or if they meet. But it's an almost hidden rivalry.

Our back line needs tweaking all right.
              We've still a few players to come back, and our lads aren't 100% fit either because of the strike. I've always thought that Ben plays better when Jerry plays. Our midfield functions a lot better with Tom and Jerry. The young lads needs (and to an extent got) experience and they should be very good. Deane when we need it always pulls it out of the bag. People say he hasn't been the same since he was sick but I don't agree. When we need him he'll be there.
              I think KK could be at a big disadvantage this year or advantage, haven't figured that part out yet.

This Munster Championship is going to be more physical and competitive then ever and KK don't get a decent game till the semis, which is unfair but there's nothing they, or us, can do about it, now whether it'll prove as an advantage or disadvantage this season is yet to be seen, but knowing them, it'll probably stand to them.

The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

It beggars belief that the Kerry v Derry Football League Final has been fixed for next Sunday, three quarters of an hour before the Munster game!!!!

Have the GAA learned nothing from the shambles of two years ago???

As a liflong Kery GAA and Munster supporter I was looking forward to a mighty sports weekend with Kerry v Derry, as expected, on Saturday and Munster on Sunday.

I was in Parnell Park yesterday for the Dublin v Meath BRAWL and was disgusted by the behaviour of both teams.

But this fixture by the GAA really puts the tin hat on it!!

It gives the two fingers to the genuine sports fans.

I WILL NOT BE IN PARNELL PARK THIS SUNDAY !!!!!!!!

<!-
                var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                var SymReal;

Sym()
                {
                window.open = SymWinOpen;
                if(SymReal != null)
                SymReal();
                }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                {
                if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                SymReal = window.;
                window. = Sym;
                }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

Comment

Cornerboy, don't be so defeated yet..Something for the Waterford lads to cheer ye up....

<h3>WATERFORD'S AGED LEGS HAVE MILES IN THEM YET</h3>
                  <h4>From The Irish Independent</h4>
                  <h4 ="date">Monday, 21st April, 2008</h4>

Waterford's
                  hurlers head for a week of warm-weather training in the Algarve soon
                  and Justin McCarthy must be wondering whether to go by air or coffin
                  ship.

That isn't a team he's in charge of anymore, it's a 30-man
                  hoodoo. In Limerick yesterday, you couldn't buy an argument for their
                  chances in the upcoming Championship.

Wired into the reassuring
                  noise of a Galway-Tipperary League final, not a single mind seemed open
                  to the notion of Waterford's All-Ireland famine ending.

Actually, it was worse than that. Opinion on the reigning Munster champions veered from dismissal to outright pity.

The
                  consensus view seems to be that summer will conjure up a shoot-out
                  between yesterday's protagonists and the old, unsinkable oligarchs,
                  Kilkenny and Cork.

Limerick, no doubt, will use all this as a
                  bellows to their fire in the coming weeks. They've wintered poorly and
                  are un-regarded in the betting. Worse, rumours of a fractious
                  dressing-room vibe continue to stalk them. Richie Bennis, you can be
                  sure, won't be short of stimulus when he needs it, but there's no
                  conspicuous evidence of growth from last September.

Put it this way, Limerick have - as yet - no business taking umbrage with the sceptics.

Waterford
                  are a different matter. They have won everything worth winning outside
                  the Liam McCarthy. On any given day, they have the ability to
                  obliterate. At their best, they play a game of superb breadth and power.

True,
                  unlike Limerick, they've yet to make an All-Ireland final. Actually,
                  their record in semi-finals is pitiful (five defeats in five since
                  '9[img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]. But the assumption that Waterford's legs are gone now or their
                  nerves have become too stretched smacks this column as dangerous folly.

True,
                  they didn't raise a gallop in defence of their League crown. True, too,
                  some of their marquee players looked to have signed a non-aggression
                  pact for its duration. But, with an ageing team, McCarthy would have
                  been a fool not to calibrate preparation for the long road.

Ger
                  Loughnane and Liam Sheedy could afford to go flat out for the League
                  because both Galway and Tipp craved impetus. But Waterford needed few
                  things more urgently than rest.

They know that the Championship
                  draw is shaped to stretch them. Already, there are those who think the
                  June 1 clash with Clare at the Gaelic Grounds could ask pretty strident
                  questions of a team with high mileage in its legs.

The point is
                  that they need by then to be hurling at a tempo that Kilkenny,
                  arguably, might not require before August 10. It's just not an even
                  playing-field. Then again, was it ever?

So what should Justin do?
                  Chase another League crown knowing that, sooner or later, the desire of
                  old soldiers like Tony Browne, Ken McGrath and Dan Shanahan is sure to
                  slacken fatally and the edge will leave their hurling?

Shanahan,
                  traditionally, loses the ability to even co-ordinate his feet in League
                  hurling and he was routinely poor again in this year's campaign. Yet,
                  outside of Henry Shefflin and Tipp's Eoin Kelly, he's pretty much the
                  Championship forward every other manager covets.

In fact, this
                  column has long held the view that in Shanahan, John Mullane, Seamus
                  Prendergast, Eoin Kelly and - possibly as an impact sub - Paul Flynn,
                  Waterford have a more bountiful supply of big-day match-winners than
                  any other team around.

Maybe the problem is that they're an open
                  book. Waterford hurl without mystery. Every game evolves into an
                  uncomplicated effort to shoot for the stars. They seem incapable of
                  tailoring a specific plan for specific opposition.

This

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

Comment

<h2 id="ctl00_ctl00_Full_Main_Main_stcArticle_her">Reb els defender doubtful for opener
                    @@@@SPAN>by JP Lonergan, 21 April 2008@@@@/SPAN></font></h2>
                    Cork are likely to be without defender Cian O’Connor when they face off
                    to newly-crowned National Hurling League champions Tipperary in June’s
                    Munster Championship clash.

The Rebels corner back was injured
                    when playing for his club on Friday evening and looks like being
                    unavailable for boss Gerald McCarthy when Cork face their deadly foes
                    in just under seven weeks’ time.

The Erin’s Owen man suffered a
                    suspected torn medial ligamentduring his side’s intermediate football
                    championship draw with Cill na Martra and is due to be sidelined for up
                    to two months.

The news comes as a blow to a player who would
                    have been looking for a Championship run after some indifferent
                    showings in recent times.

Meanwhile, The Rebels hurlers will fly
                    out to La Manga in Spain on Monday for some warm-weather training ahead
                    of the Championship, where they will likely be as dangerous as ever,
                    regardless of what has gone on so far this year.

Comment

What's the Cork team likely to be for the Tipp game?

My guess:

Cusack; O' Neill, O'Sullivan, Murphy; Gardiner, Curran, O Hailpín; G O'Connor, Kenny; B O'Connor, N McCarthy, T McCarthy; P O'Sullivan, Ronan, Deane

Or have I under-estimated Eoin Cadogan's performances? Corry, Cronin and K Murphy will in with a shout as well I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by pato

It beggars belief that the Kerry v Derry Football League Final has been fixed for next Sunday, three quarters of an hour before the Munster game!!!!

As a liflong Kery GAA and Munster supporter I was looking forward to a mighty sports weekend with Kerry v Derry, as expected, on Saturday and Munster on Sunday.
                        I was in Parnell Park yesterday for the Dublin v Meath BRAWL and was disgusted by the behaviour of both teams.

<!-
                        var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                        var SymReal;

Sym()
                        {
                        if(SymReal != null)
                        SymReal();
                        }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                        {
                        SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                        SymReal = window.;
                        window. = Sym;
                        }

//->
                        Gerrup outta dat! You mustn't go to many football matches if that disgusted you. A few handbags, 4 sent off. Whelo throws a slap, he's sent off. Its amazing that amid scenes of such horrendous violence not one drop of claret was seen (that means blood OD not actual claret). We're gone fierce soft altogether. God help us when China invades.
                        And since when do Kerry fans go to non-All-Ireland final games anyway? As for the Derry fans, you could fit them in a phonebox.
                        Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin a bhfuil

What's the Cork team likely to be for the Tipp game?

My guess:

Cusack; O' Neill, O'Sullivan, Murphy; Gardiner, Curran, O Hailpín; G O'Connor, Kenny; B O'Connor, N McCarthy, T McCarthy; P O'Sullivan, Ronan, Deane

Or have I under-estimated Eoin Cadogan's performances? Corry, Cronin and K Murphy will in with a shout as well I suppose.

Very stale team there Sin. My own prefrence would be -

Donal Og, O'Neill, O'Sullivan, Murphy, Cadogan, Curran, Ó hAlpín, Kenny, Gardiner, Pa Cronin,Jerry O'Connor, Cathal Naughton, Paudie O'Sullivan, Neil Ronan, Ben O'Connor.

Deano aint got it any more im afraid[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]. Jerry O'Connor to cenre forward instead of a headless Niall Mc.

Comment

I was at a Kerry v Derry league final eons ago when the Derry fans rioted due to some oversight by the referee. There ws a fair few of 'em in it that day. The Derry lads were right good at the rioting too. Seems they had been practicing for ages all that winter. About an hour later a squad of gardai were seen marching in the general direction of Croker and you knew by the heads of them, they had every intention of making sure they were good and late. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Now. A question for the Cork afficionados. What is the origin of the "Rebel" word in relation to Cork?
                            Hello friends in Brussels. Baldy here

Comment

Originally posted by pato

<!-
                              var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                              var SymReal;

Sym()
                              {
                              if(SymReal != null)
                              SymReal();
                              }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                              {
                              SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                              SymReal = window.;
                              window. = Sym;
                              }

//->
                              This is the height of stupidity. I wont be going to Parnell Park either. I had a good weekend planned. Punchestown saturday. Kerry saturday evening and Munster sunday.

I sincerely hope that there is nobody at the game. They might learn once and for all then that people have other sporting interests and its best that they do not clash[img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]
                              It happened, and I was there.
                              4.48pm, Saturday 20th May 2006.
                              What does grease taste like? Is it like chicken?

Comment

If there is shag all Kerry fans there it's not because of the rugby. Most of them couldn't be arsed anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X