• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

And growing
    In any particular direction?
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Comment

Harty Cup Final 2:00 today Páirc Uí Rinn.

Christians (!!) v Middleton CBS

Comment

Midleton won 2-12 to 0-14. It was 1-7 to 0-10 at half time. Midleton got on top in the middle of the second half and should have pulled away but shot a good few bad wides. They took the lead with a goal with five minutes left and survived a few scares before getting the insurance point in time added on.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
            Midleton won 2-12 to 0-14. It was 1-7 to 0-10 at half time. Midleton got on top in the middle of the second half and should have pulled away but shot a good few bad wides. They took the lead with a goal with five minutes left and survived a few scares before getting the insurance point in time added on.
            And Rochestown beat Hamilton High Bandon in the B final

"I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post

In any particular direction?
              Outwards

Comment

Dougie joins Cork backroom team:

Former New Zealand and Munster winger Doug Howlett has joined the Cork hurling back-room team.

Howlett has been appointed 'high performance lead' for John Meyler's Rebels.

The Kiwi will remain in his position as Munster Rugby’s Head of Commercial and Marketing, while another ex-Munster man, RTÉ Sport columnist Jonny Holland, has been appointed as nutritionist to the Cork football and hurling teams.

Both were in the dugout for last weekend's Allianz Hurling League win against Clare.

Cork GAA confirmed the appointments on Friday night, saying of Howelett: "He brings with him a wealth of expertise and experience of playing sport at an elite level."
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Donegal's motion to prevent Dublin nominating Croke Park as their home venue was defeated yesterday at Congress.

They proposed the wrong motion. The counter argument was that if not Croke Park, then the Duns would have to play in Parnell Park in front of only 8,000.

What they should have proposed was a motion that a county could not play their Neutral Venue game in their home ground.

That would have the Dubs playing in Portlaoise, Clones Thurles or possibly the Páirc.

Comment

Right, when I was a small boy, many many years ago, Offaly hurlers were a Second division team and deservedly so.

In the mid sixties, they got into the First Division of the NHL and managed to stay up there.

They got to the Leinster Final in '69, beating All Ireland Champions Wexford on the way and lost narrowly to Kilkenny.

They finally won the All Ireland in '81 and three more times afterwards.

Birr, my home town, also won four All Irelands before being shafted, both as a Club and as an inter-county venue.

They took a big scelp of the Parish and gave it to a neighbouring parish to help them to go from a Junior Club to an Intermediate one.

They then moved all Inter-County games and the County Finals to Tullamore way up in the Football end of the County.

The obvious result of all this County Board policy was reached today when Offaly were relegated to Division 2 of the NHL.

They lost to Carlow, in fücking Tullamore, a Neutral Venue as far as Hurling is concerned, in a relegation Play-off.

I hope those Cünts in Tullamore, in the Offaly Football County Board are happy.

The Hurlers have now descended to much the same level as the Footballers.

Well done, ye shower of wankers.
                    Last edited by Piquet; 10th-March-2019, 18:58.

Comment

Hurling is in a good place at the moment. The big 3 are still favourites every year but great to see Limerick Galway and Clare winning AIs in the last 6-7 yrs. Waterford, Wexford and Dublin are still competitive. Offaly is the one disappointing story. Good to see Carlow making progress but Hurling needs Offaly...………..
                      Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
                        Hurling needs Offaly...………..
                        Tell that to to the Offaly Football County Board.

Comment

They then moved all Inter-County games and the County Finals to Tullamore way up in the Football end of the County.
                          Piquet - I've seen this quoted many times a key damaging development. While I understand the difference between Birr (hurling) and Tullamore (football), I've never quite understood why it's such big factor in the decline. Not many counties can run two inter-county grounds.

"I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Back in oul' God's time, the youngsters in Birr, myself included, could walk to the Hurling Field to see top class inter-county games.

Those from the Hurling end of the county were no further than 15 miles of so max. from the field.

Now if one wants to see a game, one must get a lift 23 miles or so to Tullamore and sit or stand in a quarter- to half- full stadium.

None of the attendances at Offaly Inter-County Hurling games since the change were greater than the Capacity of the Birr Hurling Field. most of them didn't even come close.

That goes for County Finals as well.

It's like playing in a Morgue.

If those games had been played in Birr, the atmosphere would have been way better and maybe some of the results might have been as well.

Comment

Tell that to to the Offaly Football County Board.
                              Genuinely sorry to see what is happening in your county Piquet.
                              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Back in oul' God's time, the youngsters in Birr, myself included, could walk to the Hurling Field to see top class inter-county games.

Those from the Hurling end of the county were no further than 15 miles of so max. from the field.

Now if one wants to see a game, one must get a lift 23 miles or so to Tullamore and sit or stand in a quarter- to half- full stadium.

None of the attendances at Offaly Inter-County Hurling games since the change were greater than the Capacity of the Birr Hurling Field. most of them didn't even come close.

That goes for County Finals as well.

It's like playing in a Morgue.

If those games had been played in Birr, the atmosphere would have been way better and maybe some of the results might have been as well.
                                I get that, but still, is it the biggest factor? Leinster championship matches were held in Croke Park in any case.

While it's not the same thing, I remember a previous successful incarnation of Clare hurling in the late 1970s that won National Leagues, played all their hurling league matches in Tulla and were unbeaten there for a number of seasons. For understandable reasons there was resistance to moving matches to Ennis, but it happened.

Is maintaining two county grounds in Offaly sustainable?
                                "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                                Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X