X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GAA Thread

Rebel squads strike as relations deteriorate

By Tony Leen
    RELATIONS between Cork’s hurlers and footballers and the County Board deteriorated dramatically last night after both panels formally ‘resigned’ from their respective inter-county set-ups.

The defiant stand by the players means they are now effectively on strike and unavailable for training and meetings with their inter-county coaches, Gerald McCarthy and Teddy Holland.

The decision was agreed at a fiery meeting of both panels on Saturday in Cork, attended by up to 50 senior players. After a full and frank exchange of views, the hurling and football squads presented a united front by declaring themselves unavailable for Cork training until and unless the situation on the selection of team management is resolved to their satisfaction. One player present said he was surprised at the level of anger that still exists over the County Board decision to back the move to appoint selectors for the manager. Expecting a conciliatory mood, the player said many at the meeting were still “breathing fire” over the controversial move. Said another source: “As of now, the Cork players are officially unavailable to the hurling and football managers. They have resigned from the panels.”

The rejection by the players of any compromise or back-channel moves to resolve the conflict with the board represents a dramatic escalation of the row sparked by the decision to remove the right of the manager to nominate his own selectors.

Cork coaches McCarthy and Holland may now find themselves attempting to cobble together a squad of strike-breakers to train and prepare for February’s start to the National League. Given that the respective positions of the county board and the players are polarised at this stage, the stand-off has the potential to continue even longer.

One player said: “There is a clear understanding among the group that this could mean opting out of inter-county action for the year. Some have already presumed that.”

It is understood that player representatives will brief the hurling and football coach on their position today or tomorrow. The hurlers were due to meet team management tonight to discuss arrangements for next season, but that meeting has been cancelled. The footballers have undertaken not to attend any trials scheduled by the management team.
    Yeah with one foot in the grave and one foot on the pedal, I was born a rebel

Is anybody really interested?
    Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Good on them. [img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy

Says the man who supports the deise.

Comment

They'll be sadly missed.[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
          Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach10

It all seems very Dublin Bus like!

Now if the two managers went on strike there might be some sense to it. At least they are getting paid and have contracts.
            Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Now if the two managers went on strike there might be some sense to it. At least they are getting paid and have contracts.
              Like, I just threw up the article, never said I was for the strike. I'm against it.

As much as I love the footballers and Hurlers, I think they should shut up and soldier on. Especially the Hurlers, who just act like spoilt brats at times, which I find a bit embarassing. Is it really their business?

Not sad to see Morgan go. Got us to the final this year, only to let the team be beaten all ends up. No harm to have some fresh blood in the management dept.

Comment

Like, I just threw up the article, never said I was for the strike. I'm against it.

As much as I love the footballers and Hurlers, I think they should shut up and soldier on. Especially the Hurlers, who just act like spoilt brats at times, which I find a bit embarassing. Is it really their business?

Not sad to see Morgan go. Got us to the final this year, only to let the team be beaten all ends up. No harm to have some fresh blood in the management dept.

Like I said Mach10, Im not sure to many people are interested. Maybe later on it may become an issue. Right now people are more interested in getting their stock of Coke in for thehols. Looks like a white christmas.

Comment

Not sad to see Morgan go. @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">Got us to the final this year, only to let the team be beaten all ends up.@@@@/SPAN> No harm to have some fresh blood in the management dept.
                  You could argue that the Cork goalie and defenders have been on strike since the start of September.[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                  Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

@@@@SPAN =articleline>Players insist strike threat won’t affect holiday plans@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN =author>By Tony Leen@@@@/SPAN>
                    @@@@SPAN =articlesummary>CORK players insisted last night that squad holiday plans are not jeopardised by the current impasse over the selection of team management. @@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN =article>
                    The county’s hurlers and footballers have removed themselves from consideration from both panels as the row over a coach’s right to name his own selectors threatens to escalate.

However, the Cork players pointed out last night that holiday plans over Christmas and the New Year are unrelated to the controversy.
                    <DIV align=center>

< = src="http://adireland.com/adx.js" =text/>
                    </DIV>The Cork footballers, who reached an All-Ireland final, are booked for an exotic trip to South America at the beginning of January, taking in Argentina and Brazil. However, the players have stressed that this is a trip being largely paid for and organised by themselves through a travel agent.

It’s understood the County Board is contributing less than 2% of the total cost, in the form of two group meals for the players while abroad.

The players themselves account for the remainder through a Croke Park and Munster Council donation to the holiday fund, O2, Coca Cola, O’Neills, ticket sales from the Car Draw and other local sponsorships.

The Cork hurlers, defeated at All-Ireland quarter-final stage by Waterford, have no official holiday planned.

However, coach Gerald McCarthy has been investigating the possibility of a winter training camp abroad.

However, that plan has been put on hold in the present circumstances.

Meanwhile, the man who helped broker an end to the Cork hurlers dispute in 2002 has pleaded for immediate talks between the county board and players to stave off a strike in the New Year.

Said ex-Board chairman Jim Forbes: “Back in 2002 there was dialogue and it has to be the same now. It’s the only way that the current situation can be resolved. It won’t be done on the papers, TV and radio and everyone has to accept that.

“It is very disappointing that it has reached this stage again and my belief is that from the first day this started, there should have been immediate discussions. The longer this is allowed to fester the worse it is going to be and Cork football and hurling will suffer as a result.”

Of the 2002 resolution, he added: “When we sat down back then with the players representatives, I found them to be reasonable.”@@@@/SPAN>

Comment

Apparently the footballers went on strike in mid september, but neglected to tell anyone, as the action was unofficial. The goal keeper was on picket duty when the "Gooch" got the first goal and now the Gooch is considered a scab in Cork. Unfortunately the Cork forward line failed to strike on the day which compounded the Rebel county's problems.

Comment

Originally posted by stranger
                        Apparently the footballers went on strike in mid september, but neglected to tell anyone, as the action was unofficial. The goal keeper was on picket duty when the "Gooch" got the first goal and now the Gooch is considered a scab in Cork. Unfortunately the Cork forward line failed to strike on the day which compounded the Rebel county's problems.

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                        Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Ballina at 6:36 pm travelling at 55 mph, the other from Claremorris 4:19pm at a speed of 35 mph.

Comment

Some of those guys could be useful rugby players. Any chance of a few permanent defectors?

Also,something that doesn't sit well with me is the spectacle of GAA teams scrounging around looking for the price of a holiday. If a team that wins or gets to the All Ireland Final deserves a holiday,and I'm not saying they don't,it should be paid for by the GAA. They make enough money out of them.
                          The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Very true AG, just look at how well Stephen Kelly is playing for Shannon
                            Stand up and fight

Comment

I'm speechless like, the players wont back down, the county board wont back down and it'll probally end up in a massive walk away in the end. Bloody board. The championship wont be the same, like Cork or not, you can't say that it'd be better without them, not the same.
                              The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Working...
                              X