Hurling Apartheid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurling Apartheid

See below, there is a campaign in Mayo to get rid of hurling alltogether. Frank Browne did a fantastic job to keep Mayo in Div 2, hes being fired for basically being too succsuful. The Mayo county board (and indeed even the Connacht council) would appear to have a policy of trying to make sure that hurling dies in the county. The Connacht council would appear to back this up by various actions such as blocking Mayo juvenile clubs from playing in the lower grades of the galway championship and other such actions.

Alot of you may say, Mayo hurling so what, but this goes on in many counties where the other sport is the dominant one and its a real struggle for those people who want to play the game in that area.

03/12/2006 14:34:33
    The Mayo hurlers have responded angrily to the sacking of their manager Frank Browne.

Browne was sensationally axed as team manager after county board officals felt that he had spent too much money on what was basic equipment that any serious club side would take for granted.

Browne and his selectors even bought a number of sliotars out of their own money, while some players also forked out for their own hurleys. Another beef the county board had was the fact that Browne trained the team three times a week, despite being instructed to train them only twice a week to keep costs down.

Mayo enjoyed a relatively successful year in 2006 when they reached the Division Two NHL semi-finals and won two of their four games in the Christy Ring Cup.

"We're all shocked by the decision because Frank had already put a lot of plans ready to start next year," said Mayo player Derek Walsh.

"It's hard to understand why he didn't get the job again, especially after the year we had last year. 2007 will be the most important year for Mayo hurling for a long time because with the way the league is being restructured for 2008, what grade you play in is determined by how well you do in the league this year.

"If we're left idling any longer, then we're going to be in really serious trouble," he told the Irish Daily Star Sunday.

Walsh scoffed at the county board notion that Browne had spent too much money in preparing the team this year.

"It's ridiculous for them to suggest that too much money was spent on the hurling team because we didn't even get our minimum entitlements for the year. Frank just couldn't have done the job any cheaper.

"I know some of the lads on the Mayo team who spent five or six hundred euro themselves on hurls this year because they couldn't get any off the county board."

The Mayo players hope that Browne will be reinstated in time for their upcoming Connacht League campaign.

\"Golf is a game for c**ts\" Ronnie Drew

Oh yeah, the amounts, 2000 Euro on hurleys. Scandelous!

Comment

Originally posted by ECSquared
      IIRC Waaaaherfurt footballers were getting a similarly crap deal
      Is minic a bhris béal duine a shróin

Comment

When you look at the millions the GAA is raking in you do wonder what they are playing at here.

My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

The GAA are a law unto themselves Sewa, if this is true then it is sad sad reflection on the GAA and an afront to the individuals that support them financiallyyear in year out.
          \"As she lay there dozing next to me, one voice inside my head kept saying, \'Relax, you\'re not the first doctor to sleep with one of his patients\', but the another kept reminding me, \' you are a veterinarian!\'\"

Comment

If some are spending 600 or 700 themselves then 2,000 for a panel is nothing. Hope there is a public outcry and the hurlers are helped. I'm sure all the top men the footballers have brought in, not least the trainer, are not going to do things on the cheap.

Comment

Whats required is separate bodies to administer hurling and football. That way football counties will not have all their resources channelled into football and vice versa. Many of the county board members will not have raised a hurl in anger in their lives so this makes it easier for them to sell the hurlers short. Bear in mind a MASSIVE amount of money in GAA terms was spent on their football teams which reached an all ireland final in senior and won an u-21 all ireland this year. Only so much money to go round. By the way county boards are more or less separate entities with their own financial structures that have to manage their money themselves and answer to the auditors, so this has little or nothing to do with the GAA centrally and all it's filthy millions that are currently being spent on condor egg omelettes.[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
              Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Would love to see Hurling split from football
                Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Some counties have seperate hurling and football boards but there is still usually one dominant board.

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor
                    Would love to see Hurling split from football

Me too - but it'll never happen - the GAA is far too democratic to let that kind of enlightened idea see the light of day.
                    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dave

If some are spending 600 or 700 themselves then 2,000 for a panel is nothing. Hope there is a public outcry and the hurlers are helped. I'm sure all the top men the footballers have brought in, not least the trainer, are not going to do things on the cheap.

What's required is that the hurlers tell their county board to fu*k off and that they will not play until adaquate support is provided. Never happen mind.
                      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud
                        Originally posted by The Dave

What's required is that the hurlers tell their county board to fu*k off and that they will not play until adaquate support is provided. Never happen mind.

I doubt the Mayo County Board would give a fiddlers f*** TBH, it may well please them[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Comment

Limerick GAA says ’no’ to rugby

05 December 2006

Limerick GAA will not be forced into opening its doors to rugby according to county board chairman Denis Holmes.

He was responding to suggestions that the revamped Gaelic Grounds should be made available to the IRFU to accommodate the Munster team while Thomond Park is undergoing redevelopment. He insisted that the GAA owed nothing to any other sport and was not obliged to make its facilities available to them.

“I want to state categorically that this will not happen – we are not obliged to make our facilities available to other sports. As an organisation, we often come in for criticism for our supposed lack of democracy in our decision-making process. I would challenge that assertion very strongly.

“Last year we debated the opening of Croke Park and rightly or wrongly, a decision was taken and carried out. If anyone wants to use the Gaelic Grounds, the same procedure is available and must apply,” he said.

This is what Old Dog refered to, they are us and live among us, how many came from the GG last Sunday to TP to see the rugby?, I came across quite a few..

The top table, though, run the democracy.

Comment

The only way Hurling will get recognition from their county boards in places like Mayo and Sligo etc is to join forces with each other and go on strike. This would send a shock wave through the GAA and the GAA would have to force these counties like Mayo and Kerry to stop killing Hurling off.

Comment

Originally posted by Langford

Limerick GAA says ’no’ to rugby

05 December 2006

Limerick GAA will not be forced into opening its doors to rugby according to county board chairman Denis Holmes.

He was responding to suggestions that the revamped Gaelic Grounds should be made available to the IRFU to accommodate the Munster team while Thomond Park is undergoing redevelopment. He insisted that the GAA owed nothing to any other sport and was not obliged to make its facilities available to them.

“I want to state categorically that this will not happen – we are not obliged to make our facilities available to other sports. As an organisation, we often come in for criticism for our supposed lack of democracy in our decision-making process. I would challenge that assertion very strongly.

“Last year we debated the opening of Croke Park and rightly or wrongly, a decision was taken and carried out. If anyone wants to use the Gaelic Grounds, the same procedure is available and must apply,” he said.

This is what Old Dog refered to, they are us and live among us, how many came from the GG last Sunday to TP to see the rugby?, I came across quite a few..

The top table, though, run the democracy.

Whos fecking forcing them????
                              \"As she lay there dozing next to me, one voice inside my head kept saying, \'Relax, you\'re not the first doctor to sleep with one of his patients\', but the another kept reminding me, \' you are a veterinarian!\'\"

Comment

Working...
                              X